I have a question about phpBB Security.

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
step2

I have a question about phpBB Security.

Post by step2 »

Hello. I am from Holland. On the dutch phpBB Forums(www.phpbb.nl) we have a discussion about the phpBB security. I say that phpBB is not 100% safe, but a moderator of that board, WebSiteNet, says that it is true. Who is right?

Greets
Last edited by step2 on Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bast

Post by bast »

It looks like he used an online translator...

jonlg_uk

Post by jonlg_uk »

bast wrote: It looks like he used an online translator...

..yeh that really answered the question
HTTP://www.OWNINGUP.com - online anonymous confessions
HTTP://www.Videosteal.com - Download videos from youtube, google and break.com
HTTP://www.poll-pal.com - Add a free online poll to your website, myspace, hi5 and more!

Gud
Former Team Member

Re: I have a question about phpBB Security.

Post by Gud »

step2 wrote: Hello. I am from Holland. On the dutch phpBB Forums(www.phpbb.nl) we have a discussion about the phpBB security. I say that phpBB is not 100% safe, but a moderator of that board, WebSiteNet, says that it is true. Who is right?

Greets

No piece of software is 100% safe. ;)

NeoThermic
Security Consultant

Post by NeoThermic »

Of course its not safe!
You could get RSI from using the fora too much!
You could cut yourself on the sharp edges of the download, or trip up over the size of the community.
Your fora could become so popular that the server overloads and explodes, killing people!

Eh, ok, In all seriousness, there are no secuirty issues currently reported for 2.0.10. As long as:
  1. The actual server is secure
  2. You are up to date
  3. Your password isn't 'password' or some stupidly easy one to guess
Then you should be safe.

NeoThermic
NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です

Draegonis
Former Team Member

Post by Draegonis »

Topic moved [General Discussion -> phpBB Discussion].

mpc

Post by mpc »

too keep you up 2 date.

he says that he's right that phpbb isn't safe, because of what NeoThermic said. :roll:

if you can read dutch and you want to laugh? look at: http://www.phpbb.nl/viewtopic.php?t=13282

NeoThermic
Security Consultant

Post by NeoThermic »

*sigh*

I can't sign up to the phpBB fourm on phpBB.nl, but I'll post what I wanted to say here:

Gelieve te lezen opnieuw wat ik zei. phpBB is veilig als u tot datum bent, de server is veilig, en uw adminwachtwoorden zijn niet gemakkelijk.

Geen waar ik verklaarde dat het onzeker was.

(You'll have to excuse the mistakes, I'm still learning dutch ;) )

NeoThermic
NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です

step2

Post by step2 »

verry good your dutch my engelish is bad

one's yonder mischien yet mods who yours panel extra secure take and within The Netherlands and England have we services like 8bit.be and myfreebb.com engels die() propose side and gin panel upon one's this secure too tell they until they because they the method turn are wrong secure is when the wonted phpbb method hilt

Stefft

Post by Stefft »

NeoThermic wrote: *sigh*

I can't sign up to the phpBB fourm on phpBB.nl, but I'll post what I wanted to say here:

Gelieve te lezen opnieuw wat ik zei. phpBB is veilig als u tot datum bent, de server is veilig, en uw adminwachtwoorden zijn niet gemakkelijk.

Geen waar ik verklaarde dat het onzeker was.

(You'll have to excuse the mistakes, I'm still learning dutch ;) )

NeoThermic

Hi from phpBB.nl 2,

As reply on your post he answered:
hier in zecht i tot phpbb niet 100% beveilicht is maar tot als je die dingen opvolgt tot het dan wel veilig is ik had dus gelijk tot het niet 100% veilig is zoals websitenet zij dus er kan een slotje op

It's really bad dutch. ^^

Translation:
He says (NeoThermic) phpBB is not 100% save is, but if you follow a, b and c your phpBB is save. So i was right.

Thats not true is it?

Very goodd Dutch NeoThermic, better then Step2/4 :p

step2

Post by step2 »

i heaf dislexie sorry it isnt your spreak better then dutch dan ik

C-3PO

Post by C-3PO »

Hilarious!!! His point goes from: Hell it's not save to It's not 100% save, but save enough if you take care of your pasword and such.

Ow Boy, why spend time on this when you ought to spend time on cleaning the man's dipers.

(Waarom er tijd insteken als je eigenlijk tijd in het verversen van zijn luier moet steken)
My best friends: Knowledge Base & Search

Stefft

Post by Stefft »

step2 wrote: i heaf dislexie sorry it isnt your spreak better then dutch dan ik

Translation:
I have dyslexia, sorry it isnt that you speak better dutch than me.

@Step2/4, want anders begrijpen ze het niet. :)

arnodejong

Post by arnodejong »

Hi all,

I'm that 'websitenet' and what step* says isn't true. He's the one who has discard all rules you can think about.

Second, i'm not that kind of stupid like he says. I've never sad that phpBB is 100% secure. I've sad that phpBB has a big score on a scale from one to 10 (with 10 best).

You guys may close this topic. It's an internal affear on phpbb.nl and phpbb.com have nothing to do with this.

Pezzoni

Post by Pezzoni »

Stefkuh wrote:
step2 wrote:i heaf dislexie sorry it isnt your spreak better then dutch dan ik

Translation:
I have dyslexia, sorry it isnt that you speak better dutch than me.

@Step2/4, want anders begrijpen ze het niet. :)

No, he has extreme lazyness -Dyslexia isn't an excuse to not make an effort with spelling & grammar.
Before someone puts their flaming hat on, I myself am dyslexic, which is why it irritates me when people blame their sheer layzness on it...

Back to the origional point, I would say that phpBB is 99.9% secure, so long as your server & your passwords are. The extra 0.01% is there becasue nothing is ever perfect. All the major releases through 2.0.0 through to 2.0.10 have contained fixes, and I would imagine it is next to impossible to catch every single issue in the code. However, if the issues are unexplored & unknown then there is no problem. From what I have seen, as soon as an issue does become known, it will get patched almost immediately.

Dan

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”