PHPBB version 2.2 question.

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
Sammyed

PHPBB version 2.2 question.

Post by Sammyed »

Hello,

I have received this question from a fellow php forum webmaster.
What are you going to do when phpbb2.2 is released? I know personally it will be very difficult to upgrade with this site being heavily moded, im sure you'll be in the same situation.

:?

What should I answer him?.

As I don´t know that´s why I ask this here. If I want to upgrade to the future version what will happen to the modded boards from old versions?. Will be a special Mod for this?...I hope so.

Thanks.

geocator

Post by geocator »

This really depends on the MODs you have installed. Many MODs will no longer be becessary as the functionality has been added.

Some of the complicated MODS I am sure the suthors will provide upgrade paths for.

Drunky

Post by Drunky »

Where can I check to find out which MODS have been confirmed to be in 2.2?

Sammyed

Post by Sammyed »

Thanks for the reply Geocator...

I ignore what new functions will be added, so I guess it´s better to sit and wait of what happens then. And as for the authors I hope they can give us a hand.

BTW, your avatar changes everytime. :lol:

Thanks again.

geocator

Post by geocator »

Drunky wrote: Where can I check to find out which MODS have been confirmed to be in 2.2?

There are no MODs in 2.2 there is simular functionality. And the best you can do is go to area51.phpbb.com and check it out yourself.

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

I have thought about this for a while, and I will be staying with the 2.0.x product for a while. I had been holding off on installing the Attachment mod waiting for the upgrade, but I had some extra time and it installed beautifully (find piece of code that is) in a bit over an hour. Since attachments are to be included in the 2.2 release, I thought I would just wait.

But the bottom line is that I've hacked and modded and poked and wiggled stuff around so much that I don't want to upgrade. :-) I don't see any compelling reasons to upgrade. As a result, I've kicked off a number of additional mods that I've been holding off on, and I'm having fun with it too.

In other words the reasons I picked phpBB are still true today. :-) I'll give 2.2 a look-see when it's released, but I've already added much of the functionality that I wanted into my 2.0 forum. I'm happy with that. 8)
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Volion

Post by Volion »

I am in the same boat with two boards, guess I will have to wait and see if upgrading is worth the effort.

(waves to drathbun) :wink:
Proud supporter of phpBB-RPG.com.

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”