phpPP Team

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
Boby Dimitrov
Name: Borislav Dimitrov

phpPP Team

Post by Boby Dimitrov »

I thought it would be a good idea to have a topic for everybody, interested in helping developing the portal, based on phpBB2.

Please state what you're able/willing to help with, any experience and so on...

Personaly, I could help with html/css (in terms of templates). I have about 2 years exp with that. I'm not the Dr subBlue, but I guess I'll do.

Also, I vote for Kanuck as a project manager, coordinator, call it whatever you like :) .
BartVB
Consultant
Consultant

Post by BartVB »

When phpBB2.0 is released I'll have a lot more time than I have now, furthermore I really need a decent portal for a few sites (of which some are commercial) so I'm offering my help.

Have in depth knowledge of phpBB2.0, know the phpBB2 team, will have time, also because a part of that time will be paid by my employers..

As to being a project lead; I don't have a problem doing that. But I don't care who that will be as long as he/she knows perfectly well what he/she is talking about, knows big projects, PHP and the implications of making project decisions :D I don't want to see this project fall apart because the lead doesn't want to see the right way :D

Hmm, maybe we should clone Paul :D Hey, Paul, do you have a twin brother? :p
I Hate oversized sigs and Love Penguins :D
couton

Post by couton »

I would love to help out.

I've done alot of PHP/MySQL scripting and I know HTML.

None of my scripts are used on the Net yet, as they have never been fully completed to my liking.

Cheers,
Paul
vandal

Post by vandal »

couton .. don't feel bad but I don't think he was talking about you when he said 'Paul' :)
Vaz

Post by Vaz »

Been coding for years but minimal on PHP (I know to write PHP of course but not real world apps). Know about HTML, PHP and MySQL.

Been looking for something that I can contrbute. But then I am sure there are better coders than me out there. I could contubute in other areas..
AL

Post by AL »

i'll throw my name into the hat. been doing php/mysql since january of this year, but in that time have learned alot. just finished my church's website http://www.brbcbaytown.org and most of the items are linked to database.

i don't want lead, but would be happy being a junior dev. i've been following phpbb2 since june and am very excited about it - and the possibilities for the future.

tanx.
"A nerd is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology, but a geek is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology and LIKES it that way."
scotshin7

Post by scotshin7 »

I want to be a developer too, and I might want to be the leader... I've been following phpBB since June like AL, and started learning PHP back then and am competent with it...
Richard S.: phpBB Groupie
Always Image Search before asking questions!
Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

If Bart wants to lead the development of phpPP, I think that's awesome. I'd love to help out in any way I could - like I said earlier, I could sort of oversee all those extraneous aspects of the project - distributing the package to the public, designing/operating its website (unless it just becomes part of the phpBB website), ensuring that relations with developers of phpBB, hacks, other packages, and the like are kept peaceful ;), that sort of thing.

You know, like upper management, minus the stupidity :p
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

Hi guys!

I want to offer my help too, but I don't want to be the leader 'cause that amount of time is not possible for me :)

Ok my projects:
o) some paid CMS
o) a CMS that organises FAQs for Newsgroups (currently 3 (another one just started using it) groups are using it :)
o) currently working on a community (i'll tell ya the url when it's finished, it will be bilingual german+english)

1+ year php+mySQL experience
6+ years HTML
a little bit of c++/vc++ knowleedge
currently learning VB (*argh* => school :)
Last edited by Thunder on Thu Nov 22, 2001 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ciao... Thunder
Hannes Minimair
phpBB2 Groupie
Jay
Former Team Member

Post by Jay »

I've said before that I'm going to have a ton of time to help out. I also have a lot of experience in HTML (4+ years), PHP (2+ years), messed around with some javascript, I know CSS okay well enough to use it and get around, I've used MySQL for 2+ years, and Oracle for a year.

Here's my latest site http://www.krox.com (yes it uses vB for the message forum). Every thing on the site I built from nothing (except the forum obviously). I did all the graphics, php, html, flash, everything basically. I even built a back end so that other non techinal people can update it etc. However, this backend I built is and was only a quick temporary solution (if you want to know why just ask me).

Here are some other small sites I've done with PHP, MySQL, HTML etc.

http://www.dvdfuture.com

http://www.duclaw.org

http://www.kgsr.com
- had to redesign the main page that you see when you first enter the site (the frames are not my idea) I'm going to be redesigning this site after the first of the year.

http://64.132.13.124:88 (in development)
-flash navigation isn't working yet so here are some links on the site
-http://64.132.13.124:88/calendar.php
-http://64.132.13.124:88/concerts.php

That's it for right now. I'd love to work on the protal project b/c I've be able to work on it pretty much full time. My bosses gave me the okay to do this and they are actually excited that I want to do it. The only thing I wouldn't want to do is be the project leader on this b/c this is my first time doing a project with a community like this etc and I would want someone with experience of doing a project like phpBB or some open sorce project with a community like this so I could learn from that.
mistert

Post by mistert »

I can't show any current works to you but my experience is as follows:

PHP Developer for 1+ years
MySQL Administration for 1+ years
SQL 1+ years
HTML 4+ years
CSS 2+ years

That's just a list of what I thought was important. I know quite a bit more than that. Here's a list of what I would be willing to work on:

Template System
Comments System
User System
Anything Else

I am very capable in PHP and would love to help out on this great project. You can give me any task and I can do it.
Thomas Simmons
Chief Editor/Writer/Bla Bla Bla of Cputimes.com
Kraven

Post by Kraven »

and me ... I have my first degree ... oups :roll:

And try to become as DOCTOR SubBlue, Designer in Laser Engine (but dont have find school about it for now) ;)
couton

Post by couton »

vandal - I know he means Paul, as in psoTFX, but my name is also paul

:lol:
Boby Dimitrov
Name: Borislav Dimitrov

Post by Boby Dimitrov »

Ok guys, for now Bart, Kanuck and Jay seem the most reasonable for leads. I guess Bart is a bit busy right now, but anyways. What about you three talk to each other and come up with a decision, so we can have this rolling?
Aristotle

Post by Aristotle »

I don't know everyone well enough to give an opinion as to who I think would make the best lead. I'll just be happy to have Bart and Kanuck on the team, as I think they have a good working knowledge and know a little something about dev team politics. I think either one would make an excellent lead.

I won't list any skills as I am positive I don't have enough experience to work this project, and the dev team is only going to be like 5 people anyway. I may attempt to get into the project further down the road, or as a developer of modules/mods/etc...

Peace,
-- Aristotle.

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”