My phpPP Proposal

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.

Is this a good idea?

No
63%
If the phpBB2 Dev Team Approves It
25%
I have a better idea
13%

Total votes: 16

mistert

My phpPP Proposal

Post by mistert » Fri Nov 23, 2001 3:31 am

I am going to be starting on a phpBB Portal immediately and would like to set the foundation for phpPP. Here's the planned features so far:

Feature List:
News System
Comment System
Submission System
Statistics System
Integration with the phpBB2 Template System
Article System
Review System
Forum-Style Commenting(with user info, avatars, etc.)
Mod System

This is a rough outline of what I plan. I will go into detail as I get work started. If you are interested in helping with the development process please contact me at [url=mailto:tsimmons@cputimes.com]tsimmons@cputimes.com[/url]. I will be creating a sourceforge project shortly either as hypercms or as phpPP depending on whether the phpBB2 development team approves my Portal Project.
Thomas Simmons
Chief Editor/Writer/Bla Bla Bla of Cputimes.com

devoutus

Post by devoutus » Fri Nov 23, 2001 5:55 am

thats what they are doing here why not sighn up to help the team out insted of crating a fork this early in the project.. i know you want to start now but do you really want to base your portal on a bata anyway

mistert

Post by mistert » Fri Nov 23, 2001 1:39 pm

I am doing this mainly because I need a fully loaded website management system as soon as possible (that I can be happy with). I've used the Nukes and such, but they just don't cut it. I just thought I'd see if my work could come into use eventually. I will be modifying it as phpBB2 changes, also, but only after I have finished a version for my site. I'm sure the code I write could at least find it's way into the core which would probably be totally separate from phpBB2.
Thomas Simmons

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Fri Nov 23, 2001 7:41 pm

I counsel patience. ;)
super fun rainbow colour sig

Boby Dimitrov
Name: Borislav Dimitrov

Post by Boby Dimitrov » Fri Nov 23, 2001 7:57 pm

I voted "yes" here, but under one condition: you make that portal system public :) . I too need a portal asap (actually, I'm looking for a nice one for 2 months now...), as I have a host that sits empty, waiting for a simple, but working portal. Extra features will come with time. What I need is a working core with several working functions, even less than those on your list, and I need that fast, so I guess I cannot be patient, as The Pit suggests ;) !

Respect

Aristotle

Post by Aristotle » Fri Nov 23, 2001 8:05 pm

If you can't wait for phpPP to hit the streets and nothing else on the market (pnews?) will do until then, then building your own portal is the only choice.

As someone else mentioned, it may be more beneficial for you to just join the group forming here. I very much doubt that the phpBB group is just going to approve an outside project here. I also doubt that the group will use a 3rd party portal as a base for their work.

It boils down to you are either with the dev team here creating phpPP, or you are creating your own portal on your own (and not using the phpPP name).

mistert

Post by mistert » Sat Nov 24, 2001 1:55 am

I would like to point out that the way I am developing my project it will be relatively easy to modify without having to go through the entire source every time something changes. It's going to have a core functions system, but everything else will be plugins. This will reduce the workload on my part, allowing me to build each individual section in time. I'm asking the phpBB2 Developers opinions on my way of going about this project if I can get y'all to tell me. Either way, this will be an open source solution available to everyone and anyone wanting to help with development please contact me. I would like some people to help me brainstorm on what the core functions should be and how we should go about the plugin system although I have already thought about it and begun work on it. Thanks for everyone's opinions, it's what makes open source so much better.
Thomas Simmons

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”