Does phpbb support Oracle as a database

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
jmespo

Does phpbb support Oracle as a database

Post by jmespo » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:22 pm

I would like to use this with an oracle database I am developing for a school project. Will it work?

Nephrus
Former Team Member

Post by Nephrus » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:12 pm

It doesn't support Oracle, however tehre was a project on here earlier that was changing that adding Oracle support. Try searching the forums since I can't exactly remember where it was here...
[ Zelda Planet - nephrus.net - phpBB Userguide - phpBB Knowledge Base - phpBB.com Forum Rules ]
ABSOLUTELY NO support via PM/IM/email or I'll get a cow to sit on you

tempsingle

Post by tempsingle » Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:21 am

I have see in many files there are "SQL_LAYER" defined for ORACLE, but not see "oracle_schema.sql" and "oracle_basic.sql" under /install/schemas/

Is the support for ORACLE undergoing?

Einstein

Post by Einstein » Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:10 pm

I think phpBB 2.2 will have beter support for Oracle. Wait for next phpBB version ;)

jbsmith

Post by jbsmith » Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:12 pm

I have yet to understand why people post questions like this in the forum. Directly from www.phpbb.com/features.php (linked to from EVERY phpBB.com page...)
Database Server Support

* phpBB uses a database abstraction layer to enable seamless support of several database servers:

o MySQL 3.2x,
o PostgreSQL 7.x,
o Microsoft SQL Server 7/2000
o Microsoft Access (via ODBC)
o ...with more databases available in the future.

Why is it THAT hard to do a little research instead of relying on others to do it for you?

stu15

Re: Does phpbb support Oracle as a database

Post by stu15 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:46 am

jmespo wrote: I would like to use this with an oracle database I am developing for a school project. Will it work?

have a look here: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... ght=oracle

Hope this helps :)
A Registered User > I maybe wrong...So please correct him :) || My Forum - Stu's phpBB Helpdesk

jmespo

Sorry

Post by jmespo » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:51 pm

Sorry if a user found my question to be offensive. But as you copy states "WIth more databased available in the future" I spend time searching through the FAQ's for anything to do with Oracle and found very little. THe purpose of Open Source is that things are constantly improving and somebody may have found a solution to my problem since those requirements were posted.

I did finally find a long doucment at a university web site on how to do it, and have decided not to use PHPBB for this purpose .

Thanks to the rest who had the courtesy to answer with usefull information

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”