How does phpbb v2.0 compare to Ikonboard v3.0?

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
Teach

Post by Teach »

I've been looking for a great forum system to replace the free hosted one that I've used for years.

I've been looking seriously at Ikonboard v3.0, though I don't want to install it yet because it's still in Release Candidate 2a and pretty buggy. It looks great though, with an extremely easy installer, a lot of features, and mySQL support.

I saw that phpbb is highly rated on php.resourceindex.com, so I came to sourceforge.net to take a look. At first I was turned off by all the posts about security problems in earlier versions. But, I clicked on the link to phpBB v2 and I'm amazed at how much it looks like Ikonboard v3.0.

What I'm wondering is, does anyone here have experience with both Ikonboard v3.0 and phpbb v2? Does phpbb have as many AdminCP and configuration options as Ikonboard v3.0? Phpbb v2 appears to be faster than Ikonboard v3, but is it as secure as Ikonboard, or do you still have to move files and hide files and hope that no one finds the file that has your admin password in it? Sorry if that doesn't describe earlier security issues correctly, but that was the impression I got from reading many posts here.

I guess what I want to know is why I should use phpBB v2 (when it is released) instead of Ikonboard v3. I suspect that speed and server resources may be better with phpBB. Is that true? What other things are better here than at Ikonboard.com?

I'm not trolling here -- and I'm not interested in "phpBB rules" type of replies -- I'm seriously looking for the best free bb I can find. Thank you to anyone who can help me decide.

gameofhit

Post by gameofhit »

Teach wrote: I'm amazed at how much it looks like Ikonboard v3.0.

This is fairly amusing and frusterating to the people who have been here for a while, because ikonboard didn't switch to default gradiented tables until the phpBB2 board had been around for a while. So actually they look like this board.
Teach wrote: What I'm wondering is, does anyone here have experience with both Ikonboard v3.0 and phpbb v2? Does phpbb have as many AdminCP and configuration options as Ikonboard v3.0? Phpbb v2 appears to be faster than Ikonboard v3, but is it as secure as Ikonboard, or do you still have to move files and hide files and hope that no one finds the file that has your admin password in it? Sorry if that doesn't describe earlier security issues correctly, but that was the impression I got from reading many posts here.

I guess what I want to know is why I should use phpBB v2 (when it is released) instead of Ikonboard v3. I suspect that speed and server resources may be better with phpBB. Is that true? What other things are better here than at Ikonboard.com?

I'm not horribly familiar with ikonboard, but I do know a few things. I know that phpBB is real quick and lightweight, nice on the server. The security issues have been cleared up, AFAIK. I know that the passwords are stored encrypted in the DB, so there shouldn't be anyway for someone to get at them.

And I don't know about anyone else, but I find that php is a lot easier to install and deal with than cgi scripts.

AFAIK the template system is far superior in phpBB too, but that is just what I have heard. I really don't know how templates work in iB

Hope I helped 8)

theFinn
Founder and ex-Contributor

Post by theFinn »

I can only speak for phpBB as I've never actually tried Ikonboard (I find CGI scripts too much of a hassle to setup, thats one of the reasons I've always been a fan of PHP).

phpBB v2.0 has an extreamly easy installer as well, its a 1 click installation, just fill in your db info and admin password and away you go.

We've got ALOT of admin options, our forum permission system is more advanced. If you want to get a look at our admin panel check out the PostgreSQL 7.0 testing topic in the beta test forum, it has a link to my postgres testing server along with the admin username and password.

As for security, phpBB v2.0 has no knowen security issues and we've been developing it with major security in mind. All variables are validated, SQL queries cannot be broken like they could be in v1.x, and we're doing real code review to make sure that the same problems that hit 1.x will not happen to 2.0. The only sore point is the configuration file which stores the MySQL username and password in plain text. So in shared hosting environments someone else with an account on your server can view your mysql information. There's no way around this, its an issue with MySQL not us.. (Ikonboard using MySQL would have the same problem).

Anyway, both Ikonboard or phpBB would be an excellent choice for a forum. We really don't compete directly in most cases because they have primarly been a Perl/Flat-file board and we're a PHP/MySQL board.. :D
James 'theFinn' Atkinson
Founder & ex-Contributor
http://www.thefinn.net

Teach

Thank you!

Post by Teach »

Thank you both for the valuable information! phpBB 2 certainly gives Ikonboard v3 a run for its money (though they're both free). Your Admin options look very good. I just have a couple more questions, about things that may be there, but which I didn't notice in the Admin options.

Is it possible to moderate user registrations in phbBB 2? In other words, is there an option that would let me approve or disapprove of registrations before users are allowed to post?

Where does one edit the phpBB templates and/or HTML text?

Thanks again, for being so helpful! :D

Ashe
Former Team Member

Thank you!

Post by Ashe »

Teach wrote: Is it possible to moderate user registrations in phbBB 2? In other words, is there an option that would let me approve or disapprove of registrations before users are allowed to post?

There are three levels of account activation:
  • None: users can register freely.
  • User: users must answer the mail they receive when they register in order to activate the account. Everytime password is changed the user has to re-activate it (it ensures that no one is using a fake email address).
  • Admin: the admin have to activate (accept) new accounts.

gameofhit

Thank you!

Post by gameofhit »

Teach wrote: Where does one edit the phpBB templates and/or HTML text?

There is a seperate templates folder that contains a folder within for each template. The templates are just HTML files with the .tpl extension, so you can edit them in any editor you want without having to copy/paste.

Take a look:

http://phpbb.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/tem ... subSilver/

GamerZ

Thank you!

Post by GamerZ »

absinthe wrote:
Teach wrote: Where does one edit the phpBB templates and/or HTML text?

There is a seperate templates folder that contains a folder within for each template. The templates are just HTML files with the .tpl extension, so you can edit them in any editor you want without having to copy/paste.

Take a look:

http://phpbb.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/tem ... subSilver/
can the templates be edited on the phpbb2 admin panel?

theFinn
Founder and ex-Contributor

Post by theFinn »

No, and there arn't any plans to include an editor in v2.0. However, if enough people request it we might include it in 2.2.
James 'theFinn' Atkinson
Founder & ex-Contributor
http://www.thefinn.net

GamerZ

Post by GamerZ »

theFinn wrote: No, and there arn't any plans to include an editor in v2.0. However, if enough people request it we might include it in 2.2.
hmmm, i thought it can be edited in the admin panel just like vbulletin. Oh welll, ok i hope it will be included in phpbb 2.2

hsim

Post by hsim »

GamerZ wrote: hmmm, i thought it can be edited in the admin panel just like vbulletin. Oh welll, ok i hope it will be included in phpbb 2.2
I absolutely don't like complex template editing via web interface.
It's much more comfortable to load the .tpl in Quanta+ and enable HTML syntax highlighting.

Teach wrote: I've been looking for a great forum system to replace the free hosted one that I've used for years.
phpBB is definitely the way to go :)
Teach wrote: I've been looking seriously at Ikonboard v3.0, though I don't want to install it yet because it's still in Release Candidate 2a and pretty buggy.
True, true, true. Very buggy although iKonBoard has greatly improved (as has phpBB)
Teach wrote: It looks great though,
it looked much uglier before subSilver was out :p
Teach wrote: with an extremely easy installer,
extremely easy, you call that???
Well maybe for Perl/CGI it is easy, but chmod here, chmod there, multiple steps, .tar archives, thousands of paths to enter... missing Berkely DB Modules which you have to ask your hoster to install...
phpBB (1+2) installer is just one simple step which requires you to enter you Database details :!:
Teach wrote: a lot of features,
I guess iKonBoard 3 has more features than phpBB2, but Group Management is extremely ugly, not to say unusuable, and there are many features which make the board look blown up.
A smart board and hacks to install when you need 'em is much better imho ;)
Teach wrote: and mySQL support.

--[--SNIP--]-- But, I clicked on the link to phpBB v2 and I'm amazed at how much it looks like Ikonboard v3.0.
As noted above, iKonBoard looks like phpBB2 [not the other way round] (still much uglier if ya ask me, tho)
Teach wrote: What I'm wondering is, does anyone here have experience with both Ikonboard v3.0 and phpbb v2?
I'm a former iKonBoard v2 user and have of course tried iB3.
Teach wrote: Does phpbb have as many AdminCP and configuration options as Ikonboard v3.0?
No, it hasn't.
iKonBoard 3 Admin Control Panel is full with options and stuff no1 understands... ;)
no that ain't true of course. I think I'm getting all the options offered.
Just to name some:
  • filemanager
  • integrated language & skin editor
  • Database switcher (from binary file to MySQL, PGSql etc.)
  • Premade SSI support
  • MIME Type editor for "Attach file to post"-Feature
Teach wrote: Phpbb v2 appears to be faster than Ikonboard v3,
imo phpBB is much faster, even when using iB with mod_gzip & mysql
Teach wrote: but is it as secure as Ikonboard,
even more secure, I'm sure. I've heard about some exploits in iB3 recently (guess they've been fixed, tho)
Teach wrote: or do you still have to move files and hide files and hope that no one finds the file that has your admin password in it?
For Databse-access, there is one file which contains you Database password, yes.
But unless your hoster is stupid, this shouldn't be a problem and there is no good way around this
Teach wrote: Sorry if that doesn't describe earlier security issues correctly, but that was the impression I got from reading many posts here.
phpBB2 is a complete rewrite, and atm there are (afaik) no known security holes
Teach wrote: I guess what I want to know is why I should use phpBB v2 (when it is released) instead of Ikonboard v3
easy. it's better, it's open source, it's faster, the community is great, phpBB group ain't 0wned by some company. Maybe you are a PHP fan. Maybe you want reliability.
No - It's more a thing of personal preference whether you're choosing to use iB or phpBB.
Teach wrote: I suspect that speed and server resources may be better with phpBB. Is that true?
I guess yes, although I'm not that sure. But from what I've heard, CGI scripts are more resource consuming than PHP
Teach wrote: What other things are better here than at Ikonboard.com?
There isn't much I could tell you. iKonBoard is a great board, there Community is huge, their support forums well-visited.
And their lead programmer, Matthew Mecham, is a fine boy :)
Teach wrote: I'm not trolling here -- and I'm not interested in "phpBB rules" type of replies
But that's the truth ;) :p
Teach wrote: -- I'm seriously looking for the best free bb I can find. Thank you to anyone who can help me decide.
Hope I could help you decide :D
email me: hsim at gmx.li

Teach

Thanks to everyone!

Post by Teach »

Thanks so much to everyone for your fast, informative replies. Your posts and my own research have convinced me that, for me, phpBB v2 is a better choice than Ikonboard v3. I decided that even though I already know a ton about Ikonboard's features and problems from lurking in the excellent Ikonboard v3 support boards for the past month or so, and from installing/configuring Ikonboard version 3, beta 7. I was pretty happy with Ikonboard v3b7, though I really wanted the mySQL support that began in Ikonboard Release Candidate 1. In fact, if I and others hadn't had so many problems trying to upgrade to Ikonboard Release Candidate 1, I probably wouldn't have reconsidered whether I wanted to use Ikonboard or a different forums package -- which is why I ended up here! :D

Though I'm pretty smart, I am not a programmer at all. I can sometimes logically figure out how to make minor changes to existing scripts to make minor mods, but that is the extent of my scripting ability -- that and the fact that I was able to install and configure Ikonboard v3 beta 7, though it took me several hours. :oops: At this point, my paid Web host has already provided me with an empty mySQL database, so I don't have to figure out how to create one to use with phpBB.

With all that in mind, and now that the database schema for phpBB v2 is locked, do you think I should go to the trouble of installing and configuring the latest 2.0 CVS, or would it be a lot less trouble for me to just stay with my hosted board for the time being, until the release version of phpBB v2 is out? :?:

[EDIT] Never mind about that last question -- I just found the following in the What, Where, Why and How Of CVS Post at the top of this forum:
You should never install beta software on a production system - that means that phpBB2 is not yet ready to replace your current bulletin board on your web site. You can be sure that you'll know when phpBB2 has been released.
[/EDIT]

Once again, thanks to everyone for all the great information! :D
Last edited by Teach on Thu Nov 29, 2001 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

hsim

Post by hsim »

hard to hit the reply-button, wasn't it ;)
email me: hsim at gmx.li

Teach

Post by Teach »

hsim wrote: hard to hit the reply-button, wasn't it ;)

You're pretty quick to have noticed that! Yeah, I clicked on the New Topic button instead, and wrote my whole message as a new topic. A few seconds later, when I realized I had done that, I copied that new topic's text, deleted that new topic, and then pasted the text into a reply to this topic. :oops:

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit »

Heh...It's even easier to get confused with the PSO template...it just says "post" for new topics. Brilliant in every other respect though :)
super fun rainbow colour sig

Master of Puppets

Post by Master of Puppets »

I've tried iB3 and it's not too bad. Upgrading to RC1 was a NIGHTMARE, though, and I'm going to wipe the install and start anew with 2a.

I much prefer phpBB though. Ikonboard is very configurable, yes, but phpBB 2.0 is MUCH faster and the templating is 300% better. I could NEVER use a template editor in the admin panel. I've got EditPlus configured to highlight .tpl files - what more can I ask for? :) File manager serves a good purpose; I just find it faster to fire up FTP and have a look at what I've got. It's much more reilable that way as well, IMO.

iB is a very advanced board indeed; it has some tremendous capabilities. However, it's just TOO MUCH for my purposes. phpBB is what I like in a BB: It's lightweight, fast, and efficient, and is by far the easiest to customize, IMO. My users are satisfied, my staff are satisfied...life is good. 8)

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”