How does phpbb v2.0 compare to Ikonboard v3.0?

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Post Removed
Last edited by Monster on Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alex Duggan

Post by Alex Duggan »

Have any of you read the announcement about 'Project Aoura' on the Ikonboard site, their new PHP based version of it. They *claim* it will be faster than all other rivals http://www.ikonboard.com/aurora/brochure/bench.html . I doubt it will be though!
Alex Duggan

WebSnail

Post by WebSnail »

Monster wrote: I was an Ikonboard user. I wrote hacks, run ikonboard websites. I was like a lot of people are, only supporting the forums they use not looking at an alternative ever. I was then forced off using Ikonboard after being rude to someone at support which took them 4 days to try and fix my problem and never able to do anything. I find 4 days of waiting pathetic even by free terms ;)

Look I'm not going to beat about the bush here... If you think that a group of volunteers are at your beck and call then you need a reality check. If you had a problem with the iB team because of a 4 day wait then I am almost willing to bet that at some point you will share that same attitude with the phpBB2 team.

Bottom line: piece of advice. Don't slam anyone who is offering you something for free. If they are willing to take the time to provide you with something that they DON'T have to, then you damn well put up or shut up. That's the same for people who work in charities, Open Source project, etc...

The "it's free, but I want it all anyway" attitude sucks the hind tit off a donkey so grow up and show a little respect or use something that you pay for.

For your information I work in charity fundraising, do web design for non-profit groups, etc... and I see that attitude the world over from people who've never realised what it's like to be on the receiving end of abuse like you represent. So until you actually understand what it's like to give 110% of your effort and receive nill thanks or even abuse as a response you have no idea!

End of sermon!!!

Monster

Post by Monster »

Post Removed
Last edited by Monster on Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

WebSnail

Post by WebSnail »

Thanks for taking that on the chin... Got some incredibly bad news and regretted being somewhat proactive when I awoke this morning.

I hadn't taken into account the commercial aspect so I guess my bad on that.

NOTE TO SELF: No posting whilst in throes of nightmare news, exhaustion or alcoholic influence *sigh*... AGAIN :roll:

Monster

Post by Monster »

Don't worry we're all like that at times :)

dieKetzer

Post by dieKetzer »

I have a phpbb2 board and also a ik3 board. Both were updated from their earlier versions, so I am familiar with them both. I like them both too. the ability to run ssi in the templates in ik3 is great, but ive never had luck using php incluses on phpbb.
I perfer either of them over thier commercial cousins vbulletin and UBB.

g'day Monster :o) I'm in melb as well.

Stargazer

Thanks for all the great input

Post by Stargazer »

Thanks to all,

Wow, so much great input on the subject.

hsim,

I would gladly provide you with a MySQL dump, but I'm new to sql, and new to my host, and haven't been able to find where I can get it done yet. Anyone know how to accomplish this at Ventures Online?

Alex Duggan,

I saw the announcement on 'Project Aurora', but it's supposed to have the same license as the current Perl/MySQL offering. In their announcement the tout how the new board will provide profits for Jarvis, which makes me believe one way or another you're gonna pay for it.. even though they say it's going to be free. The announcement seems to say one thing, while they say that the board will be free.

Monster,

I was registered at your forums when they were iB, and no.. I wasn't there for the skins. I went there mostly to post and read jokes when it was slow here at work. I saw when you changed over to phpBB2, and quickly found that I was no longer registered :( . I see it's become mostly gaming forums now.. and for an old guy like me (43), not really my type of subject matter. I do promise to go back and have a second look though :). It was at your site that inspired me to take a look at this forum system.

I plan on installing a test forum using phpBB the next time I get some time off, and look forward to becoming a more active member of this community.

Thanks again to everyone for your help :D

Clark

Another perceived difference...

Post by Clark »

One other difference that I have come across in my comparison unless I just missed it. IB3 does not have "auto pruning" for each individual forum. It does allow auto pruning "globally" which means all topics will expire at a preset time in ALL FORUMS. It's either an all or nothing proposition.

This is important if you want to set up a forum such as a classifieds section where you want ads to automatically expire after x days but don't want threads to expire in all other forums. That is an important feature of phpBB2!

Am I correct on this one, or did I miss this in IB3????

LokiVidalez

Post by LokiVidalez »

okay i used ikonboard before i came to PHPBB so i can give my 2cents
  1. Is that ikonboard takes up tomuch resources on the server
  2. Ikonboard does not offer CVS
  3. Ikonboard needs you to resiter to dl there proggy
  4. ikonboard does not offer the nice code bar like here
  5. if you need more pm me

The Red Guy

Post by The Red Guy »

I can say that IB is nice but PHPBB 2 is even nicer, so it says it all in terms of looks.

I am too lazy to register

Ikonboard vs. PHPBB

Post by Guest »

The first MB I looked at was Ikonboard.

I'm a tech and I tried the install... It was a pig that I had a very hard time getting up.

Now I'm running my own server which does make things a little more in-depth, but I've installed perl before and its still installed today working for other things after I tried Ikonboard.

I hunted around for something faster. A query for FAST BULLETIN BOARD brings up PHPBB.

Tried PHPBB 1.4.4 - worked like a hot damn.

Then upgraded to PHPBB 2.0 RC2.. worked almost like a hot damn but its not a final release so that is to be expected.

IMO- Ikonboard sucks and is a slow pig. If you're running off a multi-CPU megaserver you likely wont notice that much difference... My server is a W2K Server machine running at P1-166Mhz with 32 Mb of RAM, and it operates faster than Ikonboard's support forums, which I could guess is running on a machine operating at much higher performance.

I'm sure it has tons of great features, but after two weeks of trying to get it to work, I dont think you'll care much. :)

kudos to the PHPbb team. Deadly product that kills the competition.

Chicological

Post by Chicological »

In the future i will be an Ex-Ikonboard-User :D but meantime i´ve got the problem to bring my users to phpBB. I´ve got 1300 Users on BDM-Database and that is much too much for an Ikonboard. The board could possibly fail every day and some errors came up the last days, too. So i´m waiting for the phpBB2 final release or at least for an iB to phpBB2 converter.Does anybody know something about the development ?? Or can anybody help with another possibillity ??

Thnx Chico

hsim

Post by hsim »

so you're running iB3? Me thinks at least you'll have to convert your DB to MySQL using Ikonboard, because PHP isn't cabaple of using the RDBM files.
email me: hsim at gmx.li

Chicological

Post by Chicological »

I wanted to switch to mySQL, but like i said before, my board is kind of buggy and i think it´s getting worse the more users i get :(
So switching to mySQL failed. Perhaps the iB to phpBB2 converter can handle both ?
Second problem will be the size of the Ikonboard. As it grows from day to day, i´m running out of webspace, i´ve got only 2,5 MB left for the phpBB installation.
Perhaps somebody who reads this and got an idea ?

CU Chico

BTW: I posted some of these questions on the iB-Forum before - nobody could help, of course. :wink:

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”