Working with a PhpBB Forum offline

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
mcederholm

Working with a PhpBB Forum offline

Post by mcederholm »

Hi

I use my forum all by myself, as a tool to write and organize my "research", because I find the interface and system very nice and useful. (it takes forever to organize it in a word document or on a homepage...)

I wonder though if it would be possible to store and run a forum offline, and if it is possible, say to run it on a usb-flashmemory...so I can bring it wherever I go...

Anyone got any clues???
//Matthew

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

You need need to have PHP4, Apache server, MYSQL, PHPMYADMIn and MYSQL server installed on your machine.
Download the package phpdev from here http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpdev5/

All those are in one package.
You would not be able to run it from a pen drive on other machines as the server would be on your machine. Also the PHPBB forum has to reside in a directory within phpdev

Jim

callumw

Post by callumw »

Yes it can be done, but you'd have to create a nifty batch script to run from the pendrive to configure everything

The main problems would be having a non IIS webserver that runs without a service (many available)

Doable, but a huge pain in the butt

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

If you have a laptop then you could install the phpdev on that.

Problem solved

Jim

mcederholm

Post by mcederholm »

I have thought about these solutions.
First I don't have a laptop, and it still limits me when I don't have the possibility to bring a laptop with me for some reason (ie space issues).

I have thought about installing a server locally and installing the forum on the local machine, but then I wouldn't be able to reach it from the net, which means I need a laptop anyway...

I first started working with word documents, but it is not a good way to work when you need 10-100 different pages, and you also want them to link to eachother like encyclopedia...so, well...I think I have to put it on the net anyway, and the times where I don't have access to the internet, I just have to do something else...

Thanks for the help though...
//Mathias

callumw

Post by callumw »

You could always use cheap online webhosting so you can access it from wherever you go

I use Hasweb.com

bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer »

Look on this site:
http://www.firepages.com.au/php_usb.htm

phpdev's homepage wrote: AMP on a USB ...whyfor ?
I dunno ;), there are several possible uses , the most obvious being demonstrating your wares to a potential client on their computer , but the possibilities should be obvious to any PHP heads who in general I find are quite an inventive bunch. In the past I have produced AMP CD-R's , e.g. Apache/MySQL/PHP installation running from a CD-R , a USB flash drive install is even easier since we don't have to worry about non-writable media, the point of this article by the way is to provide a portable system with no hard-coding of drive paths etc.

Requirements
err a USB flash drive (min 32MB) , PHP (I am using 5.0.3 ), Apache (2.0.50) & MySQL -v $whatever , and the text editor of your choice, my tests are all done on XP & 2003 server , this configuration should however work on windows 2000 , and possibly on windows 98 though I won't bet anything I need on that.
32MB ? , OK ever-so slightly stripped versions of the above configurations take 29.4MB of space on your USB , most 32MB USB's use a couple of MB for whatever (often rescue software etc) so you may need to strip say some unused language files to give you a MB or 2 for your project , in fact you can get well below 15MB if you are really stingy on the extensions and strip out unneeded binaries etc...

mikel_man
Name: Barry Smith

Post by mikel_man »

to run a personal web sever for your phpBB. download BRS Webweaver, php 4.3.0, MySQL 4.1, and phpmyadmin 2.6.1 pl3.

1. create folder in C:/ called www
2. install weabweaver
3. unzip mysql to C:
4. unzip php to C:
5. open webweaver and begin to configure you server and php settings.

configuring webweaver.

1. click options->HTTP SERVER->virtual root is C:/www
2. click the + symbol by HTTP SERVER, scroll down to PHP
3. enter the location of php which is C:/php.exe
4. click on SERVER
5. click on startup
6. click on the box labeled ...
7. find your mysqld.exe file
8. select that to startup each tim you start the server.
9. click add
10. click save.

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”