phpBB easy to hack?

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
Nigel-DV

phpBB easy to hack?

Post by Nigel-DV » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:33 am

I am thinking of changing my bulletin board software for something more industry standard.

Is phpBB the industry standard?

Also, I have heard form peers who use phpBB that it is very easy to hack and their boards have been down on a number of occasions because of security issues.

Can anybody throw any light on this for me?

Is phpBB open source and can I carry out modifications and extra features in the code myself or do I have to rely on them been added by the phpBB guys?

smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll » Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:02 pm

phpBB is "one of the big three" bulletin boards, however there is no "industry standard"

phpBB has had it's share of security exploits in the past as well as the other big three vB and IPB, so no-one is safe.

However phpBB maintains a secure code base that is kept up-to-date, and if the Board owner doesn't update their board as soon as a new release comes out, thats their problem. Every effort has been made to keep webmasters informed, through the admin panel, RSS feeds and the good old mailing list, as well as updates announced on this site.

Nigel-DV

Post by Nigel-DV » Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:14 pm

Thank you for that.

Finally. Can I write modifications and extra features in the code myself or do I have to rely on them been added by the phpBB guys?

It is open source right?

Sorry, one more thing. At present my forum software is GUI and I run and update it from my Mac. Will phpbb propose any problems on my Mac running OSX, I know it is server side.

smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:13 pm

phpBB is released under the GPL, and runs under PHP and mySQL/protegres OS/ms access/microsoft SQL server 2000+

phpBB will therefore both run on a mac, and can be access using a web browser on a mac no problems

Einstein

Post by Einstein » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:52 pm

Nigel-DV wrote: Can I write modifications and extra features in the code myself or do I have to rely on them been added by the phpBB guys?

Yes you can, it's GPL.

chrissicom

Post by chrissicom » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:16 pm

Although vBulletin costs money I recommend you using it as it has a much better template system in my opinion, can be modified more easily and is more secure and search engine optimized. It is also fully PHP 5 compatible which isn't the case for phpBB (long arrays have to be enabled which causes performance drops). And at least on IIS PHP 5 is worlds faster than PHP 4 as ISAPI.

primedomain
Former Team Member

Post by primedomain » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:46 pm

chrissicom, we have now understood (that's the second posting) that is vB is in your opinion superior to phpBB. That's fine, everyone should use the forum that meets his needs the best. But phpBB.com is not for forum comparisons.

Locked.

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”