Are mods ever "rolled into" phpBB?

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
stsurbrook

Are mods ever "rolled into" phpBB?

Post by stsurbrook »

Hi everyone,

Sorry for such a newbie question, but I was wondering if there was a procedure for getting mods rolled into the production phpBB code (with the author's permission, of course)? It seems to me that there are at least a couple mods that are very (extremely) popular and the base product and other mods could benefit from this.

An example might be the Profile Control Panel. Of course, the author might not want to have it rolled in, but I am just presenting it as an example that most here might be familiar with.

Oh, I should say that this is not intended to be any reflection on the authors of phpBB. It is awesome "out of the box", but I ask to help me understand how mods and "production code" are related and if they ever merge.

Hmmm, another reason would be because of inter-mod interactions as more and more mods are incorporated as users modify phpBB. Though I guess that this could be reduced by a different mod application methodology, but I am unclear what that might be. I am especially interested because I have found over 20 mods I want to apply to phpBB, but I worry that incorporating that many could have serious consequences.

Anyway, thanks for your consideration and patience. I would also appreciate it if someone would move this post to the correct forum if I have guessed incorrectly.

Scott

PS. I did do a search to see if I could find a similar post, but didn't. Thanks.
A true newbie to phpBB, so be gentle... :D
Current phpBB version: 2.0.13
Applied MODS: None (yet)
wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post by wGEric »

No, MODs are never included in any release of phpBB.

Moved from MOD Requests.
Last edited by wGEric on Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric
MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

Functionality that MODs offer may be added to new releases, but never the same code.
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."
stsurbrook

Post by stsurbrook »

Thanks for the quick responses!

Ok, then what is the process for getting new features added to the core of phpBB?

Also, can anyone help me with suggestions for what I can do to minimize the potential interaction damage adding 20+ mods to my phpBB system (pretty please? :)).

Thank again for the quick responses!

Scott
CLee

Post by CLee »

I believe Paul did mention that the 2.x line is feature frozen. In other words, no new features, unless they are to enhance security, will be added. Such features added since the original release include visual confirmation and an update notifier.
Carlos Myers
A+, Network+
Member - Star Wars Roleplaying Club
wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post by wGEric »

CLee wrote: I believe Paul did mention that the 2.x line is feature frozen. In other words, no new features, unless they are to enhance security, will be added. Such features added since the original release include visual confirmation and an update notifier.

No, the 2.0.x line is feature frozen as well as the 3.0.x line (the next big release). You might see a 2.2.x or a 3.2.x which will have new features. Don't expect a 2.2 though.
Eric
stsurbrook

Post by stsurbrook »

Eric,

How would we find out what features are coming out in the 3.0.x release? Also, what is the process by which new features are added? Do the developers decide or do the users have some input in this?

It would be cool to at least be able to see what is coming. Also when they might be coming. For me the impact would be to know whether or not to apply all the mods I'm thinking about adding or wait awhile.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your quick responses!

Scott
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

you can see a demo of phpBB3.0 dev at http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/

as for a timeline, there is none
Systems Engineering
CLee

Post by CLee »

There was a feature request tracker set up over at SourceForge some time ago and ran for a couple of years. But sometime during the middle of last year, they closed down any additional feature requests for 3.0--then still being referred to as 2.2.
Carlos Myers
A+, Network+
Member - Star Wars Roleplaying Club
stsurbrook

Post by stsurbrook »

Thanks for the heads up on area51. I had not seen that site before.

And a thank you to everyone who took the time to respond! :D

Scott
Sphen

Post by Sphen »

Hi,

This is the aforementioned tracker.

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=58 ... unc=browse
The SF.net Tracker wrote: Thanks for all your submissions. The list of features for phpBB 2.2.x is now being frozen. No new features added to the tracker are likely to make this list. All new submissions will be taken into consideration for the preparation of the next major release of phpBB following 2.2.x. // 1st September 2004

Hope this helps :D

Sphen
I think, therefore I am, I think...
My previous posts are under the name "UberSphen"

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”