tip: phpBB as logging/alert system

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
redhair

Post by redhair »

Here's something I came up with at the school where i work.
Use phpBB as a computer problems logging system.

Here's what i did. I set up a webserver at school that is reachable on the local area network only. Then I set up phpBB...

As Forum categories i used the names of all the classrooms, and in those categories all the computers (which are numbers) as forums.

The idea is that if a teacher or student experiences any problem with a computer, they can post it on the forum, making it easy for the head tech department to keep track on all computer problems in school. They only have to check un-answered messages to see where there is a problem.

It's also a good logging system to keep track of what kind of problems an individual computer had in the past (if you don't delete the topics).

Thought I'd share this idea among you..
I'm very excited about it :D
redhair like no other.

subMerged for phpBB3?
delicata

Post by delicata »

Now that sounds like a really cool idea.
John - Delicata Designs
Tel: +44 (0) 7930 343276 | Fax: +44 (0) 7092 004104

Supporter of:
Independent Web Designers Portal | Mini Tutorials

Sphen

Post by Sphen »

Wow, and I thought that I had seen everything...

That's a really great idea. I hope it works out for you :D

Sphen
I think, therefore I am, I think...
My previous posts are under the name "UberSphen"
redhair

Post by redhair »

They all love the plan at the school.
Today I made it public to some teachers and they applauded it, even my lill web server got an official hook up on the internal network :)

Here are some of the benefits (..i made up) :

The first one is noted in my first post, which is giving the head tech department quick access to a list of malfunctioning computers.

There are other benefits in that area. Teachers (or even students) can see which computers are either fixed, or broke.
When a problem is posted, others might know the solution and post it, relieving the techs of some work.
When a computer is in repair, you lock the forum.
When a problem is solved, you lock the topic.

In the past, teachers had to call the tech department... and well you know how that goes. They are either free that day, or somewhere in the building removing dust from some server. I'm not sure how they keep track of which computer has a problem, ...and by the looks of it, the school where i work, they don't keep a record at all... which isn't new for me either.

So this forum solution has a lot of benefits, for the teachers, students AND the techs (windows95 programmers if you ask me..). And it will also save a lot of useless phonecalls and post-its (..that get lost anyway)!

I'm using this style for it btw. It has a nice clean look for this plan of mine. Tomorrow i will change some text in the language file, so that for example 'Post new Topic' becomes 'Post new Problem'.
redhair like no other.

subMerged for phpBB3?
jwunderly

re: phpBB as logging/alert system

Post by jwunderly »

redhair,
How do you ensure that all of the "problems" are monitored by the tech dept? I am looking at doing something similar and was weighing the pros/cons about using topic notification vs forum notification to the admin staff.
John (A cranky old man. "Looking for an echo ...")
using any control-panel install/update is like shooting yourself in the foot. It won't kill you, but you're really going to hobble around until it heals.
Using the wrong tools (Front Page, DreamWeaver) gives the same results
Do not PM me for Support!
apple beez

Post by apple beez »

Very cool idea, I did something very similar at my job....

Built a webserver, installed php and mysql, installed PHP Nuke and using the phpbb forums for the internal knowledge base......

Such a better way to share information and communicate among teams.
redhair

Re: re: phpBB as logging/alert system

Post by redhair »

jwunderly wrote: redhair,
How do you ensure that all of the "problems" are monitored by the tech dept?

I can't :) ..without being rude and forcing them to check 'View unanswered posts', or to 'View posts since last visit' ..or have them view messages that where posted from a certain date (since they last checked for example). phpBB has all these functions :)

Best of all is they agreed in using it, so I don't have to ensure anything ...I hope, otherwise some pressure might be needed. (I will make up more benefits that will show the advantages of such a system ;) )
redhair like no other.

subMerged for phpBB3?

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”