newbie questions about security issues

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
kimchi

newbie questions about security issues

Post by kimchi » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:41 pm

Greetings,

I'm building a website for someone who has a popular yahoo group and would like to use phpBB to integrate the forum into her site. I have a basic understanding of php - I've created a testpage for the forum and I like how it itegrates with the site.

However before implementing this, I'd like to have a good understanding of the security issues, as she has a couple fruitcakes who harrass her, at least one of whom is a hacker.

Any advice would be appreciated. Any settings or mods that help security; how vulerable or secure phpBB2 actually is; how difficult it is to maintain? etc.

Also, if anyone knows a way to allow the admin to pre-approve posts?

Thanks in advance
~kim

geocator

Post by geocator » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:49 pm

The main security advice is to use secure passwords, and update the software when new versions are released. You will find that in pretty much every instance on this site, those that were hacked either did not update, or did not update correclty. You will see a lot of other security enhancements around here, but those two things are the most important.

As to aproving posts, have a look in the MOD Beta forum for the Aprove MOD.

kimchi

Post by kimchi » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:38 pm

geocator wrote: As to aproving posts, have a look in the MOD Beta forum for the Aprove MOD.

thanks for the answer and advice. please forgive my ignorance, but where do I find the MOD beta forum? I see MOD Release Announcements - is it there.

Einstein

Post by Einstein » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:47 pm

kimchi wrote:
geocator wrote:As to aproving posts, have a look in the MOD Beta forum for the Aprove MOD.

thanks for the answer and advice. please forgive my ignorance, but where do I find the MOD beta forum? I see MOD Release Announcements - is it there.

It's named MOD Development now.

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”