Got some tech questions guy

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
CHUBAKAH

Got some tech questions guy

Post by CHUBAKAH »

Just to give a little bit of background, I am a real huge fan of the phpbb boards, and am currently running around 9 boards with very little to no problems at all. I recently was asked to help out on a very large board. We are around 31,000 registered members, with about 50,000 hits a day. At times we have around 600 to 800 members on at one time. The guys there are running a Vbullitin board, and in recent weeks we have had errors all over the place, and from what I understand, they are working with the makers, and some of them don't have a clue what is going on.
Anyway,
The last few months I have been putting a little bug in their ear about maybe going with a Phpbb board, but I am a little concerned with how this would run with that many people. The site is running on a dedicated server, but I don't have any of the stats on that.
If you would like to see what we do on this site, the url is www.extremeskins.com
We would also need to run a portal system to accomplish what we do on there.
Does anyone know if there is a phpbb site that is maybe this size or larger that I can use as an example to show. Also is there any kind of a site that posts stats like big-boards.com?

Thanks in advance for any help
Blankety Blank Man

Post by Blankety Blank Man »

go to this topic, it should answer your question about how much phpBB can handle:
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=284539
Sphen

Post by Sphen »

Well, to see how many users phpBB can hold, check out the following website: http://www.gaiaonline.com/

As for portals, why don't you take a look at this article?

Good Luck :D

Sphen
I think, therefore I am, I think...
My previous posts are under the name "UberSphen"
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Sphen wrote: Well, to see how many users phpBB can hold, check out the following website: http://www.gaiaonline.com/

Everybody always brings up that site when this question comes along... and it's certainly not a problem. But you also need to realize that what lanzer is running on that site bears very little resemblance to a "stock" phpBB installation. :-)
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
CHUBAKAH

Post by CHUBAKAH »

Well this topic got burried in a hurry. I didn't really get any answers from the current posts. Is anyone here running a very large board that can give me some real info, and not a link to someone elses site? I already know which portal I want to run, I just need to know if I can handle over one thousand members on at one time which I expect this next football season?
stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy »

it all really depends on your host -- how many connections they allow and how much databsse space they have.
Looking at someone eleses phpBB won't really help
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”