Calendar

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
DK

Calendar

Post by DK » Tue Dec 04, 2001 3:27 pm

I know that people were talking about the Calendar function. Obviously for 1.0 a lot of features would be put on hold. However, a consideration may be to bundle for the first release, a pre-existing calendar that is standalone in it's own 'container-area' for lack of a better term. Then once the building blocks are set, maybe a custom designed calendar for the portal can be created and integrated.

anyhow here's a link to a set of decent php/mysql Calendar packages

http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_a ... Calendars/

D K

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Tue Dec 04, 2001 3:35 pm

No, no 'other' scripts will be bundled with 2.0 (at least only over my dead body :) ).

Jay
Former Team Member

Post by Jay » Tue Dec 04, 2001 5:34 pm

I agree with you pso... and for some reason I'm thinking that a fully functional calendar is going to be put off for a version 1.x because with all the features that are being requested in the calendar it's going to be a pretty big task getting everything in there. Also, it would be pretty cool to have the calendar that is created added to phpBB way in the future?? :D (just thought I'd throw that in the mix there :) )

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Tue Dec 04, 2001 5:37 pm

Actually you can scrap my post ... it's completely OT! Wrong forum ... :D

gameofhit

Post by gameofhit » Tue Dec 04, 2001 5:42 pm

IMO a calendar is a good and important feature to have as part of a forum (although i definitely agree with pso that it should never be part of a forum). IMO you should include a calendar with the portal. 8)

Blade
Former Team Member

Post by Blade » Tue Dec 04, 2001 5:47 pm

absinthe wrote: IMO a calendar is a good and important feature to have as part of a forum (although i definitely agree with pso that it should never be part of a forum). IMO you should include a calendar with the portal. 8)

Yeah, it would be also nice.
Hope that this is a feature in one of the next realse.
.:.Blade.:.
.:. Webdeveloper | Thanks to Daz for my new avatar.

Jay
Former Team Member

Post by Jay » Tue Dec 04, 2001 6:02 pm

a calender system is very important in the portal.. but at the same time it's a ton of work and i know a lot of people would want to have a fully functioning news system and then just add the calendar later on when it gets done.. i know i have two sites that could really use a fully function news system right now.. but i'm waiting for the portal.. :D

DK

Post by DK » Tue Dec 04, 2001 6:16 pm

ya I'd be interested in the portal, but I fear it will be too long off for me to wait. right now I have a system that I added one field to the DB to seperate news posts from forum posts, then the news posts adds the post to the appropriate forum as a stick [news:] post. then on the forum page all responses just add to that thread, so basically it is phpBB 2.0 that I added a different appearance layer to to suit my portal news for now, until I can figure something better out. it's very crude

Pix

Post by Pix » Tue Dec 04, 2001 7:11 pm

I think a calendar is very useful, but I'd also rather see a "core", simple, extensible-via-modules portal relatively quickly, then add the extra bits as modules later.

I am using phpwebsite over at www.fragfestuk.com, but that's because I needed something fast a few weeks ago. I am following phpBB Portal avidly, as if it is anything like as good as phpBB I will be looking to switch to it.

A good, small core with a well documented module system would work well :)

I am a software developer in real life (C/C++), and would like to write some modules in php for my own web site that may be of use to others.
Frag Fest UK LAN Parties - Frag Not Lag
www.fragfestuk.com

vandal

Post by vandal » Tue Dec 04, 2001 11:48 pm

honestly guys you will have enough work getting the core done and the news and forum integrated there

those will be good examples for the hordes of module programmers out there to sit down and do what ever they want for the next portal release

so I would focus on the core and write a news modul and make sure that everything works fine with phpBB 2.2

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Tue Dec 04, 2001 11:54 pm

Wow...I actually agree with vandal...there really is a first time for everything. ;)
super fun rainbow colour sig

Jay
Former Team Member

Post by Jay » Wed Dec 05, 2001 12:31 am

i totally agree with him too.. we just need to come up with a kick arse core system that is pretty flexable... once we have that it should be a breeze to add modules in like crazy.. woohoo!! :D

i'm all excited and we haven't even started coding yet!!! hehe..

gameofhit

Post by gameofhit » Wed Dec 05, 2001 1:01 am

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it too. I don't really feel comfortable enough to want to join the main dev team, but I will definite try my hand at a module, when the time comes 8)

Dave Bean

Best Calendar

Post by Dave Bean » Wed Dec 05, 2001 8:09 pm

Without getting into the bundling issue, which calendar do you like best? I have been experimenting with WebCalendar. I like a lot of features, but I wish that I did not have to install twice for each user to get a public and priviate calendar. I would prefer to pass a parameter or something.

What calendars do you like?

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”