Module core

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
DK

Module core

Post by DK » Wed Dec 05, 2001 7:12 pm

Here is my thought for the modules. I currently use a system for another project like this:

Inside the directory portal/ or whatever have a directory called Modules/
inside here is where all modules can be placed in their own directories. each directory i.e /portal/Modules/Calendar/ would have a pkg.cfg file, no more than a text file that looks for example like:

==================
Name: Calendar 1.0
Enabled 1
Created: Meep
Email: meep@peem.com
Date: xx Jan 02
Permissions: blah blah
SQL Import: meep meep
==================

the Enabled [Boolean] tells whether it is on or not [better to use a db for this], my current setup it needs to be manual.

now you could set any special prefs etc in for it to be read in and a sql file to import if a table etc needs to be created all 'contained' in its seperate directory.

basically you add a module , it reads in the pkg.cfg file and does what is neccessary to make it work, and the pkg.cfg guides the portal core when needed.

I have it so a cron job auto adds modules to my list currently, but that is on our ultra 60, so I would think another way is to go into module manager or whatever and scan for directories and their pkg.cfg files that are not already listed.

vandal

Post by vandal » Wed Dec 05, 2001 8:06 pm

modules should me installed manually
the install commands should be in a nicely parseable format ...
xml for example .. there are enough xml parsers out there that are implemented entirely in php

DK

Post by DK » Wed Dec 05, 2001 8:18 pm

i have it setup so you need to go into the module manager and turn on or off the modules themselves, the pkg.cfg just gives the neccessary info when turning on|off the module

vandal

Post by vandal » Wed Dec 05, 2001 8:33 pm

i do not see why a cron job would be necessary
its just one thing that you need access to that you may not have
its another point of failure
and since the person will have to manually copy the module anyways, so he can manually also integrate it into the system

its not like the portal developers will just upload the modules to all portal users and they can check every morning what crazy module they can integrate this morning

or am i misudnerstanding something here?

DK

Post by DK » Wed Dec 05, 2001 8:38 pm

the cron job was part of a module to connect to my central ftp area where they could download and put in modules that others uploaded. It also allowed you to check off whether to download the updates automatically for certain modules that were default installs

vandal

Post by vandal » Fri Dec 07, 2001 8:41 am

i am still not convinced
what if your update breaks something?
the person admining the page might not even be around to then manually fix something

i would rather send out an email telling everybody that there is an update and maybe have a button in the adminpanel that automatically gets the update
Billy Pilgrim has become unstuck in time ... poo-tee-tweet

Jay
Former Team Member

Post by Jay » Fri Dec 07, 2001 4:00 pm

speaking of cron jobs that makes me think.. it would be kinda cool to have a system that will automatically back up the website say once a week, once a month, etc at a certain time that is determined by the admin... and then it could gzip it's self and then ftp it or just leave it on the local machine.. now that would be a handy tool...

vandal

Post by vandal » Fri Dec 07, 2001 4:13 pm

that sounds more like a sensible use of a cron job
Billy Pilgrim has become unstuck in time ... poo-tee-tweet

DK

Post by DK » Sat Dec 08, 2001 3:42 pm

remember though, my system was on our intranet, and locked down to myself and 1 other person as asdministrating, however I had 3 instances of this portal, setup a little differently. the themes controlled the look, and placement, but the core modules were not usually touched, since there was only two of us, the cron jobs grabbed he updated core so we only had to update 1 version =)

having an optional auto update for people that use the out of the box setup is not a badf thing for the n00bs who maybe can barely install yet alone upgrade and manually hack php

D K

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”