phpBB firefox extension

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
TC
Former Team Member

phpBB firefox extension

Post by TC » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:31 pm

anyone seen/tried/care about this?
Last edited by TC on Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.:: 28:Ø6:42:12 ::.

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:40 pm

Very neat! Maybe sticky this in phpBB Discussion?

TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:46 pm

your wish is my command. :)

TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:10 pm

let me be clear - this topic is for discussion the specific extension named in the first post, and that only.

thank you.

thunder88

Post by thunder88 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:09 pm

Works well. Had to remove the Direct User link Mod to get it to work.

pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:21 pm

Very nice find TC!
Amazing piece of work since most phpBB forums don't have a block user function.
Support Resources: Support Request Template
My Sites: Download my phpBB MODs | pentapenguin.com
If you need professional assistance with your board, please contact me for my reasonable rates.

ScionCrow

Post by ScionCrow » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:09 am

I'll have to put this to the test later today. I do have to say, this looks awesome!
No longer supporting phpBB. PM or email me regarding support and you will be ignored. I'm fully done with phpBB and everything.

DWB

Post by DWB » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:44 am

Very nice find indeed!

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:52 am

The first thing that came to my mind is why should I let someone else decide how my board works? :? Think about it... what if someone decides to block all admin posts? With code integrated into phpBB (via a MOD or as a standard feature of some future release) you can have code that prevents moderators or admins from being ignored. This sort of thing would allow individual users to do that, am I correct?

I view this with the same... er, ... distrust? ... that I view other plugins that modify my site presentation. If I want advertisements, I will put them on, thank you very much. I don't need something like Google's Autolink putting additional ads on my site. As an example:
AutoLink can also link package tracking numbers to delivery status, VIN numbers (US) to vehicle history, and publication ISBN numbers to Amazon.com listings.

I have my own amazon listings, thank you very much, I don't want someone else stealing my affiliate links and adding their own in place. For the same reason, I would not want someone else altering the way my board works.

From a technology standpoint I can certainly understand the "coolness" of this feature. But if you really think about it and about the impact it might have, it doesn't sit well with me. Is there something that can be done from the server end that will disable plugins like this? Am I the only one that reacted this way to this?
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

romans1423
Name: Rick Beckman

Post by romans1423 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:56 am

Could you repeat that? I was ignoring you...

You make a valid point. In my one experience with integrated ignore lists on my board, it caused more problems than it did harm... The person being ignored kept trying to talk to the person ignoring them, which was a nuisance to us all. And with this FF extension, anyone can ignore anyone else, and the admin can't do a thing about it.

However, it appears that with this extension, PMs aren't ignorable? It may just be inviting a flame-fest in private.

TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:57 pm

i think the point is here's something that's potentially modifying your site's content without any input from you. the implications of where this could go are... interesting, at minimum.

funtent

Post by funtent » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:40 pm

If you run a tight ship, you probably don't need/want this.

I admittedly don't, and I have users that simply don't get along with other users. They've used the Greasemonkey tool in the past, and this FF extension is equally welcome. It contributes to a net gain on the "Peace Index".

For me it solves more problems than it creates.

AnthraX101
Security Consultant

Post by AnthraX101 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:00 pm

It's not modifying your sites content, it's modifying my display of it. If you want to send me the bits that represent your site, I should be allowed to do whatever I want with those bits (Don't turn this into a copyright conversation, please).

If you don't like it, don't send me the data. :)

On a related note, if you change the style a little bit (Probably by adding "dummy" properties to the HTML tags) you can probably break this plugin, but I haven't reviewed how their regex's work.

AnthraX101

JackyTintinHaddock

Post by JackyTintinHaddock » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:47 pm

I know the author of this extension. I was also involved when the author was testing it.

This is a great extension. The author was against someone on a forum and he used this extension to block all his posts.

I can say that this version is a great one. It's much more better than the first version. He posted it on a forum where I am also on and I went to download it. I was surprised to see that a phpBB MOD can be used as a Firefox extension.
 Edit signature

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 800 character limit.

robert_b

Post by robert_b » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:26 am

AnthraX101 wrote: On a related note, if you change the style a little bit (Probably by adding "dummy" properties to the HTML tags) you can probably break this plugin, but I haven't reviewed how their regex's work.

AnthraX101

Hi. I have seen sites where the plugin doesn't work. They have made one manner or another of mod to the display of username. For instance, at one site the user can choose a color for their username display. And the site displays a icon with the username indicating if they are online or offline. At those sites, the plugin doesn't work, there is no [x] with the name to toggle the hide/unhide. So I imagine if the Admin wished, he/she could do various things to block the plugin. Personally I think it's very cool because it gives the user an option and in my opinion, options are our friend. :)

Bob

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”