Thanks psoTFX

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:27 am

Thank you so much! Words can not express the thanks. May you be bless wherever you go.

tomlevens

Post by tomlevens » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:39 am

Many thanks Paul, I hope you enjoy your new found freedom.
Last edited by tomlevens on Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:54 pm

You will be missed. Thanks.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

cifroes

Post by cifroes » Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:31 pm

Thanks Paul for your work. I also believe phpBB 2 made a little revolution in web, bringing a good forum software to the masses.

I hope you come back really soon, at least supervising the project.

I hope this departure isn't due to criticism in the last months. The critics should really focus on other open source projects that are poorly managed and poorly coded. phpBB codebase right now is kinda old and is still holding up in terms of code organization and good programming techniques and it still is a good example in that terms (with some parts that should be improved with recent php trends).

thanks from me and my community.

mad-manne

Post by mad-manne » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:57 am

O.K. I'll just stand in line with all the others here, that are really greatful for all the work you have invested into phpBB!

I can understand, why you took this decision, and hope it helps you to stop getting sick about all the mentioned idiots that have finally lead to the step you made.
Maybe someday later you can join back in or else just keep on with other projects ... who knows :roll:

Anyway: you deserve the biggest respect and thank for all the efforts you took to make phpBB, what it is today and will most apparently be in the future.

Heads up Paul, and cheers,
Manfred.
Try not. Do or do not. There is no try. (YODA)

lanzer

Post by lanzer » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:52 pm

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about your departure from phpbb. For all these years your leading contribution had always been a source of inspiration and needless to say, what you had done as an individual had benefitted tens of thousands and it's quite an achivement.

At times it's fustrating to be judged by narrow aspects like security or programming skills when one or two skillsets merely defines us as a person. But I'm sure that there are plenty more who understand the countless aspects of what defines who we are, goes much furthur than what a few technical perspectives. Your intuition, self motivation, selflessness, foresight, and self consistituion will always be what motivates everyone who uses phpbb as an admin or user.

So good luck on whatever you choose to be your next project, and I hope that we can see you again real soon! :wink:

bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:03 am

You'll definately be missed.
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

Schlecky

Post by Schlecky » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:13 am

well i am just a user - no great coder - but thanks very much.
Best of luck for you :)

webstars

Post by webstars » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:24 pm

Well, thanks a lot for all the work your put in to get phpBB to this stage. You dont know how much me and atleast a million others will miss you and wish all luck in your life.

Wish you do come back again..........We all need you.
Check out the best "Operating Systems discussions" online!! Check out OSAvenue

gmex2006

Post by gmex2006 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:51 pm

Hey,

Thank you to have given us something to dream for all these years and the years to come, you have immensely contributed to this project and we, as members of this great community, will ensure that this project will live up to your expectations.

I wish you success in whatever you are doing and will be doing.

niekas

Post by niekas » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:20 am

Zenigata^ wrote: If you want to read the psoTFX's quit message, read his blog: http://www.starstreak.net/blog/2005/09/14/im-free/

So why did he quit? I didn't quite pick any reasonable explanation except maybe he was feeling sorry for himself. I doubt people of psoTFX caliber are bothered by some rambling.

:?:

bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by bonelifer » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:44 am

From what I read it was a case of RL and all the morons that blame him for any phpBB security problem that arises. When you've put the kind of work Paul put into phpBB and then have people who know nothing blame you and say your a crappy programmer, well even the best of them get tired of that sort of crap.

niekas

Post by niekas » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:09 pm

bonelifer wrote: From what I read it was a case of RL and all the morons that blame him for any phpBB security problem that arises. When you've put the kind of work Paul put into phpBB and then have people who know nothing blame you and say your a crappy programmer, well even the best of them get tired of that sort of crap.

I don't think "morons" even know who paul is. All of them usually just ramble about phpBB - i've never seen anyone blaming Paul or any other developer specifically. People say lots of different things - there is no reason to concentrate on a few bad 'ignorant' apples while there are thousands of awesome phpBB supporters...

I don't think Paul quit because of some crackpot rambling. Must be internal tensions.

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:53 pm

niekas wrote:
bonelifer wrote:From what I read it was a case of RL and all the morons that blame him for any phpBB security problem that arises. When you've put the kind of work Paul put into phpBB and then have people who know nothing blame you and say your a crappy programmer, well even the best of them get tired of that sort of crap.

I don't think "morons" even know who paul is. All of them usually just ramble about phpBB - i've never seen anyone blaming Paul or any other developer specifically. People say lots of different things - there is no reason to concentrate on a few bad 'ignorant' apples while there are thousands of awesome phpBB supporters...

I don't think Paul quit because of some crackpot rambling. Must be internal tensions.
You know what they say about assuming. ;)
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by bonelifer » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:34 pm

niekas I didn't realize you where able to read the PMs he's gotten here or his email. Just because you can't see those messages doesn't mean they didn't exist. Besides the majority of the original code was programmed by Paul, therefore anytime someone suggest the programmers of phpBB are less than knowledgable and that phpBB is "a piece of crap"(as I've seen at least one person post) of course he has a right to take it personally. Also anyone smart enough to install phpBB and set it up but has no knowledge of programming and is willing to attack someone's programming skills is who I was talking about. Just because you can install phpBB and maybe even apache, php, and mysql doesn't mean you know anything about programming. Unfortunately there are plenty of people out there that think that security problems and other bugs just go away with a snap of the finger. Unfortunately, as long as their are malicious people out there with the ability to find and exploit the inevitable security holes that will pop up any program, there are going to be people who don't know anything about programming and think that these programs come out of thin air.

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”