What changed as regards to allowed chars in [URL]+[IMG]-Tags

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
mad-manne

What changed as regards to allowed chars in [URL]+[IMG]-Tags

Post by mad-manne » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:56 am

Hi there,
I have done some searching, but couldn't find the full answer.
Let me first start by telling you that I have been away from phpBB.com for a couple of months, so I'm not totally up-to-date :roll:

I have lately realized, that some of the topics I have running concerning my MODS do no longer correctly parse some of the URL and IMG-tags I am using to link to my screenshots and downloads.
Most apparently characters like ! and ( or ) contained in URL or IMG tags don't get parsed anymore!

I have read topics, where this issue has been dealt with, and I am aware, that parsing had to be made stricter due to security-issues. I also found some links to RFC about allowed chars in URLs, but I remain unsure, what exactly is allowed within phpBB's BB-Code Implementation.
You could say "Just study the regex, that handles this ...", but regex is still spanish to me :oops:

So before I start and edit all of my posts, in order to "reactivate" my links and IMG-Tags, I just wanted to make sure I'd now the whole story :P

Looking forward to your answers,
Manfred.
Try not. Do or do not. There is no try. (YODA)

pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:28 pm

I'm not the best in regexp either but I *think* the only characters allowed in URLs are:
A-Z
a-z
0-9
?
&
_
-
/ or \
%
~
=
;
:

Hope this helps. :)
Support Resources: Support Request Template
My Sites: Download my phpBB MODs | pentapenguin.com
If you need professional assistance with your board, please contact me for my reasonable rates.

mad-manne

Post by mad-manne » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:47 pm

Although you might be right ... the point is, that I'm trying to figure out, what will still be allowed within the according BBCode-Tags for phpBB.

I used the chars stated above, and it worked at least until phpBB 2.0.13.
On the other hand, I might just try and totally avoid anything than the underscore and dash?!

Thanks anyway,
Manfred.

pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:50 pm

The ones I posted are for the current version. ;)

And I can't recall off the top of my head for : and ; but the rest are legal URL characters per the specifications so they should always work.

Oh and I forgot one in the list above.
+ should work too.
Support Resources: Support Request Template
My Sites: Download my phpBB MODs | pentapenguin.com
If you need professional assistance with your board, please contact me for my reasonable rates.

mad-manne

Post by mad-manne » Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:18 pm

Well thanks Pentapenguin for the info ...

One thing I still don't understand: Where the Exclamation Mark and brackets [ ! ( ) ]actually disabled for security-reasons or where they just taken out of the allowed chars, to match what the according RFC says, while other characters were actually removed to fix security-holes?!

Thanks anyway,
Manfred.

AnthraX101
Security Consultant

Post by AnthraX101 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:43 pm

mad-manne wrote: Well thanks Pentapenguin for the info ...

One thing I still don't understand: Where the Exclamation Mark and brackets [ ! ( ) ]actually disabled for security-reasons or where they just taken out of the allowed chars, to match what the according RFC says, while other characters were actually removed to fix security-holes?!

Thanks anyway,
Manfred.

Strictly speaking those three characters should not cause a security issue, but they should be escaped in order to comply to the RFC spec.

AnthraX101

-jm-
Former Team Member

Post by -jm- » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:09 pm

yes, + works :)

They were parsed all until 2.0.16 .
Then some of them - * and () IIRC - were used to steal cookies to IE users (XSS vulnerability) and then from 2.0.17 [url] and [img] with those characters are not parsed anymore.
-jm- (a.k.a. juanm) - *NO* private support
Hacked?
With so many beautiful colors in the world it’s a shame to make everything black and white - Dennis R. Little
my links: tips&stuff :: stuff only

AnthraX101
Security Consultant

Post by AnthraX101 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:23 pm

-jm- wrote: yes, + works :)

They were parsed all until 2.0.16 .
Then some of them - * and () IIRC - were used to steal cookies to IE users (XSS vulnerability) and then from 2.0.17 [url] and [img] with those characters are not parsed anymore.

Sorta, but the characters that caused it were [, ], and '. The major change was moving from a blacklist of known bad characters to a whitelist of known good ones. Unfortunately, many servers do not properly format their URLs and use reserved characters.

EDIT: The full listing of characters is as follows:

Code: Select all

A-Z
a-z
_
0-9
$
%
&
~
/
-
;
:
=
?
@
[
]
AnthraX101
Last edited by AnthraX101 on Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mad-manne

Post by mad-manne » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:29 pm

-jm- wrote: They were parsed all until 2.0.16 .
Now that's what I wanted to hear :mrgreen:
Well then .. I have a couple of posts to edit, to make all of my links work again :oops:

Thanks everyone for the info,
Manfred.

mad-manne

Post by mad-manne » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:39 pm

AnthraX101 wrote: EDIT: The full listing of characters is as follows:

A-Z
a-z
... / ...
[
]
So would that mean I _could_ use the square-brackets [ ] instead of "normal" ones or will I have to fear, that these might also be forbidden someday?

/still a bit unsure
Manfred

AnthraX101
Security Consultant

Post by AnthraX101 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:48 pm

mad-manne wrote:
AnthraX101 wrote:EDIT: The full listing of characters is as follows:

A-Z
a-z
... / ...
[
]
So would that mean I _could_ use the square-brackets [ ] instead of "normal" ones or will I have to fear, that these might also be forbidden someday?

/still a bit unsure
Manfred

As of right now, you can use square brackets. I would not advise it however, as they may get removed in a future version as they can cause some problems. The easiest way to be sure it doesn't get changed in the future is to simply encode all characters but a-z, A-Z, 0-9, _, and /.

AnthraX101

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”