My Views on an UberPortal

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
mlimburg

My Views on an UberPortal

Post by mlimburg » Sat Dec 15, 2001 2:23 am

There's been lots of talk about morphing pgpBB into a portal, which I think is a great idea. This seems, however, a little like the tail wagging the dog. I think we need to conceptualise the portal, and move what we can from the phpBB codebase into that concept.

I envision a multi-db aware platform, using transactions. If the db you choose does not support transactions, then the codebase needs to cope with that. ADODB is a good example there. Also, DBCache is just a given. The more traffic you get, the more you need it.

A user/group security model is required, and all entities within the portal would need to be able to interact with the model. From some as major as an entire section of a site, through to a single line within a message. Envision something like [group admins.moderators!interstate]this will display to members of the admins and moderators groups, but not to members of the interstate group[/group].

From there, a universal threading system is required. This allows you, for example, to create a topic, insert a message within it, reply to the message with another message, reply to that message with an image, reply to the image with a rating (think a voting poll), etc. WHAT the reply is becomes immaterial - it's just another thread aware object. Display of these threads are up to the admin and user. You can also disallow replies to that thread, making a Poll just a Poll.

This then moves into objects. Using some form of modular object creation system would allow you to fashion the site as you choose. Create a Topic called "Gallery", thread in Topics called "Albums", thread in Media called "Pictures", thread in a Poll called "User Ratings", thread in a Topic called "Discussions" and limit this thead so users can only enter Messages, etc. Another exmaple, create a Topic called "Downloads", thread in a Database Object called "Files" which view/access is controlled by the security system. Examples could continue easily.

Objects would include: Topic (aka Folder), Message, Media (aka JPEG, PNG, GIF, SWV, MOV, MPG, etc), DBObject (aka BLOB), Poll, Link, Event (aka Calendar type objects), and more.

Now, wrap all this in a template system.

From what I've seen from phpBB2, the user/group system, templates and database sections are all looking good for this model - although I suspect ADODB has a better range of DB options and functions - although I may be wrong here. The message system has also evolved consideribly, but in itself, it's a few steps outside of an "object" type environment.

Well, that's my thoughts on the issue. I've helped on the PHPNuke project till I had my fill of the developer, moved onto PostNuke for a bit, and then helped write the Geeklog weblog. I seriously think my conceptual model is the next step ....

Your thoughts, ideas, and concepts are welcome, please add them :)

Flames sent to /dev/null ...

Mark
Remember, friends don't let friends install phpNuke.

scotshin7

Post by scotshin7 » Sat Dec 15, 2001 2:51 am

You might want to take a look at the phpBB2 architecture... we have a goal of using phpBB2 as the base(using its useful things such as templates, auth, session, group handling, etc.) It already does all that in the phpBB2 architecture, almost none will be needed.
Richard S.: phpBB Groupie
Always Image Search before asking questions!

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Sat Dec 15, 2001 1:18 pm

Any project based here will not see phpBB morph into anything ... ;) Not sure how many times in total this needs to be said? Perhaps we should run a cron job to automagically add an appropriate post every week or so? ;)

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Sat Dec 15, 2001 1:26 pm

Automagically? I like that word. :lol:
super fun rainbow colour sig

mlimburg

Post by mlimburg » Sun Dec 16, 2001 12:46 am

psoTFX wrote: Any project based here will not see phpBB morph into anything

Perhaps my intent was not measured by my grammer. Perhaps you're just being anal ;)

I do not and did not think that phpBB would be REPLACED by the Portal - only that the portal codebase would start with the phpBB codebase and would then be altered to suit a portal environment.

Mark[/b]
Remember, friends don't let friends install phpNuke.

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Sun Dec 16, 2001 12:52 am

As I said:
psoTFX wrote: Any project based here will not see phpBB morph into anything ... Not sure how many times in total this needs to be said? Perhaps we should run a cron job to automagically add an appropriate post every week or so?

There are no discussions over this, as far as we're concerned the decision has been taken (and discussed several times already). During completion of the feature list for 2.2 the portal team will be able to let 'us' know what changes they'd like to see included which may be beneficial to them ... this doesn't mean those changes will be made (if they're beneficial to 2.2 or make no difference to it then chances are good, if they're detrimental to it then it's probably going to be a big fat no).

vandal

Post by vandal » Sun Dec 16, 2001 3:51 pm

in all honestly if you are looking for an ueberportal you will most likely never find it here

the forum will stay at the center of everything (this has been discussed before) so there will be limits to what this portal project can really achieve

btw: adodb is mainly focused on speed and not on portability .. if you want portability you will need to use metabase ...

acutally there was a lot of discussion about porting metabase to the pear and using the pear API for metabase (right now metabase has a bit clumsy API)

anyways I might be closely involved in this (actually I will definatly work on improving the metabase API) ..

but again keep in mind when examining the phpPP project that it will basicaly be code written around the forum for the most part and not a portal project that has a forum and a framework to start with

(maybe its time you guys put a sticky explaining what the portal is and how it will come to be and how it relates to phpBB)
Billy Pilgrim has become unstuck in time ... poo-tee-tweet

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”