New Forums, old mysql

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
crossfire39

New Forums, old mysql

Post by crossfire39 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:57 am

Well I have recently moved my forums from my own server to a payed server, and since my old forums where bogged down with many unfinished/junk codes I decided to create a new installation. Problem is, that many of the mods on the odl forum, are not on the new one, and there are enw mods on the new forums that were not on the old ones. The problem is that the databases have different fields in them now, almost the same, but just a few differences.

I tried many things, but I do not see a feature in mysql where is will take the data from one table, move it to another, and just use the rows that are there now, and delete the ones I don't need.

So what I am trying to do, is use the old tables that have fields
ex: Announcement_global, id, Anouncment_duration
and place that data into a table that has fields
ex: id, Announcment_duration, gl0bal_announce

So what I want to know is how do I go about preserving the users, posts, etc by transfering them into the database without having to do much editing.

Thanks for the help in advance.

crossfire39

Post by crossfire39 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:32 am

anyone?

espicom

Post by espicom » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:40 am

The mix of MODs there/not there will be problematic, unless the columns for the MODs are NOT marked "NOT NULL". If this is the case, you can remove the table create statements from the old MySQL backup, then make sure that the new tables have at least all the fields of the old backup's tables (add them if needed), then do the restore.

Afterward, you can remove the columns not needed by the new forum.

All of this assumes, though, that there is no overlap in the forum_id, post_id and user_id numbers between the old and new tables! If there is any overlap, this becomes significantly more difficult!
Jeff
Fixing 1016/1030/1034 Errors | (obsolete link) | MySQL 4.1/5.x Client Error | phpBBv2 Logo in ACP
Support requests via PM are ignored!
"To be fully alive is to feel that everything is possible." - Eric Hoffer

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”