SPAMMERS

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
lbwd

SPAMMERS

Post by lbwd »

Important: Spammers List: 14
-------------------------------------------------
  • - jtfoe1974
    - unmmyns
    - coldsorin
    - fairlande
    - largepafilis
    - pirsrv
    - sadlatour
    - bighor-lam
    - greatfintan
    - budowa_cepa
    - Cepelin
    - FuntKlakow
-------------------------------------------------
We deleted these spammers
from our forum (Missouri Business Forum).
Search most any of these and see a LARGE
list of forums they're in. DELETE THEM!
patin22

Post by patin22 »

I just finished sifting through 40 or so bogus accounts on my site the other day. FuntKlakow is a new addition I just found.

Are you installing any spam/security measures?
lbwd

Post by lbwd »

patin22 wrote: I just finished sifting through 40 or so bogus accounts on my site the other day. FuntKlakow is a new addition I just found.

Are you installing any spam/security measures?

I didn't know phpBB has that?
Does it? I have email required as well as security code.
... just enabled the security/visual code.
espicom

Post by espicom »

Fighting spam registration bots has some ideas you might want to try.
Jeff
Fixing 1016/1030/1034 Errors | (obsolete link) | MySQL 4.1/5.x Client Error | phpBBv2 Logo in ACP
Support requests via PM are ignored!
"To be fully alive is to feel that everything is possible." - Eric Hoffer
chrisb123

Post by chrisb123 »

Yes two mains ones are :

Visual Confirmation
Account activation

You can find and activate these options by selecting them in the configuration in your admin control panel
twalker

Post by twalker »

I agree with chrisb123. I've had these two options set for months and the spammers aren't a problem anymore. They're looking for easy targets.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com
Brendelicious

Post by Brendelicious »

I've had those two options turned on since I installed the newest version (2.0.19) and have been getting robot registrations on a daily basis. I never had a problem with spammers until I upgraded my boards. Now I get at least one a day. It's a huge irritation.
wkitty42

Post by wkitty42 »

Brendelicious wrote: I've had those two options turned on since I installed the newest version (2.0.19) and have been getting robot registrations on a daily basis. I never had a problem with spammers until I upgraded my boards. Now I get at least one a day. It's a huge irritation.

you having a problem with spammers since upgrading your board is just a coincidence... nothing more... they are not there because you upgraded, that's for sure...
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

- Richard Cook
espicom

Post by espicom »

The number of spam registrations is on the rise. I just watch the IP bans pile up automatically...
Jeff
Fixing 1016/1030/1034 Errors | (obsolete link) | MySQL 4.1/5.x Client Error | phpBBv2 Logo in ACP
alcaeus
I've Been Banned!

Post by alcaeus »

Deleted...Bye bye
Last edited by alcaeus on Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
espicom

Post by espicom »

The big problem with publishing anything is that it might become wide-spread enough to catch the spammer's eye. When I first published the change to "agreed", it was 100% effective. It is now something the spammers check for, but, for the most part, they're already banned on my system before they realize what happened.
Jeff
DaBlade

Post by DaBlade »

I've had a lot of problems with spambots too. It's just impossible to block them. I've installed lots of countermeasures including captcha, but it doesn't help. I can only find and remove them after they've registered by looking at their profile. :(
davidtlig

Post by davidtlig »

Hello,

The biggest problem (as I see it) associated with the spammers is that phpbb inserts into its VISIBLE database the details of a registrant applicant BEFORE the applicant is authorised.

If this was corrected, the problem would then be solved if the applicant's details were sent in the email announcing a new applicant. The email could then be ignored and it would not be necessary to delete them from the database.

David
vtrain

Post by vtrain »

davidtlig wrote: Hello,

The biggest problem (as I see it) associated with the spammers is that phpbb inserts into its VISIBLE database the details of a registrant applicant BEFORE the applicant is authorised.

If this was corrected, the problem would then be solved if the applicant's details were sent in the email announcing a new applicant. The email could then be ignored and it would not be necessary to delete them from the database.

David

I also agree with David. It would be much better if the user was only inserted in the user table after beeing confirmed. But that would not prevent bots that bypass visual confirmation and email confirmation.

Vt.
"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. The answer is NO"
Subsim

Post by Subsim »

I agree.

Also, it is pretty evident that whomever is managing these spambot apps also watches these forums closely to see what we do to combat them, then they adjust their tactics.

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”