Incredible! the first phpBB2 MOD!

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
GrimmReeper

Post by GrimmReeper »

OK I could be mistaken about this but I don't think that this hack looks for new files that you don't have at all. You know if they add a new file to the CVS. Can you add this if it doesn't already do it?
gameofhit

Post by gameofhit »

[quote=GrimmReeper]
OK I could be mistaken about this but I don't think that this hack looks for new files that you don't have at all. You know if they add a new file to the CVS. Can you add this if it doesn't already do it?
[/quote]

When I have used it it sure seemed to get new files. One of the times I used it on a fresh install from the CVS it didn't recognize that I had half of the files and it downloaded new versions for all of them cuz it thought that the previous ones weren't there. I could be wrong, but you could always test it. Just delete a file, something that you won't use to get to the update page (like posting_body.tpl) and try running the update! It should get it for you right? Try it, let us know if it works. 8)
GrimmReeper

Post by GrimmReeper »

You're right, it does, I was just mistaken. But one feature that would be nice would be to change back to your back up files
gameofhit

Post by gameofhit »

[quote=GrimmReeper]
You're right, it does, I was just mistaken. But one feature that would be nice would be to change back to your back up files
[/quote]

I imagine that restoration of backups won't be implemented, because there is no demand for it. Also because Ashe has a new version of the update script out, pm him if you want to try it. You could always restore the backups manually if you needed to :?
vitus

Post by vitus »

[quote=theFinn]
I think its going to stay a hack. But it depends on how much the public wants it and what the other developers think of it. We don't maintain different stable and development branchs of the code in CVS so it could cause problems if someone updates from CVS and the board is broken because we've just commited some in development code.

It is a pretty cool feature for people who want to stay on the cutting edge though :)
[/quote]

It is a pretty kewl feature but theFinn is right. as i understand things, developers using cvs use it to put the project files together after initial completion, that don't include the bug fixes and updates that the developer is gonna upload in the future, so when someone goes to check the lastest on cvs and it directly adds it to their board, well..somethings might just not be compatable right then or a piece of the code might be misstyped and not what the coder wanted at all, so that person is stuck till they fix all the changes from a backup(and that is IF the user had the sense to back them up to begin with). I'm had a look at the hack and its nice to use as a development tool on beta boards, but I wouldn't put it in any of the releases cause I believe it would cause problems with some of the people out there.
Like a fly on the wall, I hear and see it all.
Ewald

cool module

Post by Ewald »

I just stumbled upon this old thread and I think this module is very neat :)

Well it would be rather neat 'cause it does not work with the current cvs snapshot...

btw: is it considered to be stupid to bring up old threads like these (if so, I'm sorry) or is it ok :?:
Helix

Post by Helix »

Bump !!!! :roll:
phpBB's French Support
http://www.phpbb-fr.com/
trumpet

Post by trumpet »

Ashe thank you so much for creating this module. It is amazing!
stealthie2001

Incredible! the first phpBB2 hack!

Post by stealthie2001 »

Ashe wrote: You'll also have to create a new table, here is the code:

Code: Select all

CREATE TABLE phpbb_files_version (
   filename tinytext NOT NULL,
   version tinytext NOT NULL,
   time int(11) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL
);
That's all, I'm sure Windows users will be glad to save the pain of using WinCVS :D

Thats all well, but how do I create a new table? I cant seem to find an option in admin.......
I like work, it fascinates me
I could sit and watch it all day!
-------------------------------------
If you have a problem, and no-one else can help, then maybe you can join the Cybot Inforcers! >>>> http://www.inforcers.f2s.com <<<<
Nothlit

Post by Nothlit »

You have to manually edit your database. If you're using mySQL, then phpMyAdmin is preferable. If you don't know how to use it, then installing this hack may not be a good idea. ;)

Also, my upgrade page has suddenly decided to stop working. I'll check for updates, and the table comes up empty. It always used to contain at least a few "weird" or "up to date" entries, but now there's nothing, and it won't even display old files. :( I tried reinstalling the hack, but no luck. Does anyone have any other ideas? I'm beginning to wonder if it could be either a server problem on my end, or something to do with the CVS server...
stealthie2001

oh yes

Post by stealthie2001 »

YES! I do have some experience with phpmyadmin (it at my server) so i will go there tommoz and sort out the new table.
Thankz for yr help m8ty!
I like work, it fascinates me
I could sit and watch it all day!
-------------------------------------
If you have a problem, and no-one else can help, then maybe you can join the Cybot Inforcers! >>>> http://www.inforcers.f2s.com <<<<
gameofhit

Post by gameofhit »

Nothlit wrote: Also, my upgrade page has suddenly decided to stop working. I'll check for updates, and the table comes up empty. It always used to contain at least a few "weird" or "up to date" entries, but now there's nothing, and it won't even display old files. :( I tried reinstalling the hack, but no luck. Does anyone have any other ideas? I'm beginning to wonder if it could be either a server problem on my end, or something to do with the CVS server...

Well, my upgrade page is working fine, but I am using the newer upgrade hack (i.e. not the one that you can download on this topic). I think the techniques used are the same, just organized differently. Maybe something got messed up in your table :?
Nothlit

Post by Nothlit »

I thought it could be a table issue, so I deleted the table and started over completely from scratch. Still no luck. I did have enough foresight to make a backup ahead of time, though. ;)

I had heard of a new upgrade hack, but I haven't seen where to download it. Is it readily available somewhere?
gameofhit

Post by gameofhit »

I don't know if Ashe posted it anywhere publicly. I have it in a PM. You could probly contact him and see about getting it. 8)
trumpet

Post by trumpet »

Nothlit wrote: Also, my upgrade page has suddenly decided to stop working. I'll check for updates, and the table comes up empty. It always used to contain at least a few "weird" or "up to date" entries, but now there's nothing, and it won't even display old files. :( I tried reinstalling the hack, but no luck. Does anyone have any other ideas? I'm beginning to wonder if it could be either a server problem on my end, or something to do with the CVS server...

you arent alone...mine doesnt work anymore either. Anyone know where to grab the newer on that works?

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”