Let's get serious about spam !

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
noth

Post by noth »

MOD Database Manager wrote: Classification: 57 Security

MOD Name: Spam Words
Author: Joe Belmaati
MOD Description: Define some spam words in the ACP. When someone tries to post a defined spam word their post will not be entered into the database. Instead they will receive an error message. This could be handy for forums with guest posting where spam bots roam free. However, you may also specify that certain forums are exempt from the spam check.

do any of you KNOW about the MOD from Joe Belmaati? nobody on this topic seems to be referring to it 8O http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=

this MOD is a very worthy tool in the spam fighter's arsenal :twisted: truly
hm2k

Post by hm2k »

noth wrote:
MOD Database Manager wrote:Classification: 57 Security

MOD Name: Spam Words
Author: Joe Belmaati
MOD Description: Define some spam words in the ACP. When someone tries to post a defined spam word their post will not be entered into the database. Instead they will receive an error message. This could be handy for forums with guest posting where spam bots roam free. However, you may also specify that certain forums are exempt from the spam check.

do any of you KNOW about the MOD from Joe Belmaati? nobody on this topic seems to be referring to it 8O http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=

this MOD is a very worthy tool in the spam fighter's arsenal :twisted: truly

Thats a useful mod yes, but what about spambots that signup to add their website or signature, this doesn't fix those...

I came up with an idea which I guess is in a similar league to Spam Words, which i've nicknamed SpamAssasin for phpBB... http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=406044

Let me know what you think as an anti-spam solution.
Wo1f

Post by Wo1f »

Greetings all!

<cough>
User Shield [RC3] wrote: Benefits

User Shield is first and foremost a spam deterrent mod with the specific purpose of making your board useless in helping spammers improve their popular search engine rankings. It does this by hiding username and profil data from all, except the administrator, until they are activated (in the case of legitimate new members) or deleted (in the case of despised spam-bots). This requires for greater efficiency, that "Enable account activation" be set to "Admin" in the ACP.

It also shields your regular members and moderators from potentially offensive material (username, location, signatures and website) and does it seamlessly.

When countermeasures are behind the curve so to speak, administrators may have to deal with a larger number of non-activated registration entries. User Shield offers a quick and efficient management list for such cases, enabling bulk deletion for a proper and satisfying disposal of spam-bot filth or bulk activation (for a fast growing and spam free community :wink: ).

• User Shield [RC3]
[/url]
</cough>

Regards,
Wolf
anthony b

Post by anthony b »

Hello

It is my first time here and I have been lucky enough to get suckered into taking over our companys forum.

I think it may actually be fun but I have to go into it everyday and delete all of the unwanted people who have registered our forum is private.

I was wondering if it would be possible to hide the register button or if the people registering don't get approved within say 3 days they would be automatically deleted. I think it would be even better if you could assign a ststus or lock every valid member then add a select all button and click delete. Anyone with a lock or status would not be deleted unless there lock or status was removed.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any mods that can achieve this.

Thanks in advance
hm2k

Post by hm2k »

One of my forums located here: www.tranceforums.co.uk is still receiving lots of spam.

I refuse to market this website until i've got a stable site that doesn't constantly have to be monitored for spam.

What can I do to reduce spam?
Wo1f

Post by Wo1f »

HI hm2k,

There is a thread dealing with these problems here:
  • Anti-Spam Thread!
[/url]
This is by no means an exaustive list of availble mods to fight againts spammers but is a very good resource to get started with.

Hope this helps,
Wolf
alvo

Post by alvo »

Dave Bean wrote: If deterring forum spam was easy, we wouldn't be having this discussion...

But it is easy. I've virtually eliminated spam posts and registrations in my forum, down from several a day to a grand total of one in four weeks with three mods (and I allow guest posting):

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=2281836

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”