Anti-Spam Thread!

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
danopia
Name: Daniel Lamando

Post by danopia »

Why not make it into an image? I've seen that done before.

Like the way phpBB Installers has it.
Last edited by danopia on Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hackers are not criminals. Hackers are the only people out there to keep crackers and virus coders on the run. Hackers are misconstrued by the media, but in reality, they do not cause damage or steal. Hackers tell system administrators of the faults of their software, and keep the Internet safe from those who don't.

phpBB3 MODs: Simple Topic Calendar

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

I have one that says "phpBB Does the Real Work 'Round These Parts" :) Not a single spam message in three months (no, not the site linked to in my profile).
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

danopia

Post by danopia »

I justed Googled up one that says "phpBB does the heavy lifting.". 8)

However, images do better because notice that I googled up that page. Google still indexed the word phpBB. So, you can do something like "p&hhhh;p does the heavy lifting." so that it appears right but google cannot get it. Or maybe put spaces like "P o w e r e d   b y   p h p B B" and play around with the CSS so it appears normal.

PS: I couldn't find your board on Google. :wink: I think it isn't indexed.
Hackers are not criminals. Hackers are the only people out there to keep crackers and virus coders on the run. Hackers are misconstrued by the media, but in reality, they do not cause damage or steal. Hackers tell system administrators of the faults of their software, and keep the Internet safe from those who don't.

Phil
Former Team Member

Post by Phil »

It isn't. It's an intranet board :)

I'm thinking about making the whole footer of my personal board a GD-image to prevent that kind of thing ;)

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

The image thing is a good idea. :)

danopia

Post by danopia »

iWisdom wrote: It isn't. It's an intranet board :)
Then why would you need to spam-proof it so no outsiders can spam it if they can't get to it in the first place? Or are you using the intranet board as a sandbox like I do?

Phil
Former Team Member

Post by Phil »

danopia wrote:
iWisdom wrote:It isn't. It's an intranet board :)
Then why would you need to spam-proof it so no outsiders can spam it if they can't get to it in the first place? Or are you using the intranet board as a sandbox like I do?
It didn't used to be one. It was made private some time ago, and plus I just like playing with the footer :)

Dr.Thrax

Post by Dr.Thrax »

Hello again all, and thanks for the suggestions earlier.

I got another question that may just slow down those pesky bots. At this moment, when you type my URL in your browser, it immediately directs you to the forum index. Is there a way to stop that?

I want for example that when people type www.urlofmysite.com they get a simple page on which you see a link saying "Click here to reach the forums", and when they click it, they're sent to the forum index.

Can this be done easily? I tried to make a subfolder on my root called "forums" and copy all the forum's files in it, and make my new index page have a link that points to forums/index.php, but for some reason, when I do that, I can't login any more (gives me a 404 page). I also can't copy the stats folder into the forums folder because the permittion is denied...

anyone can help?

danopia

Post by danopia »

You need to tell phpBB about the move. Move it back to the root, go into Settings, and tell it about the location that you want to move it to. Then move phpBB.

EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

danopia wrote: You need to tell phpBB about the move. Move it back to the root, go into Settings, and tell it about the location that you want to move it to. Then move phpBB.

You can also use the auto-cookies mod. :)
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=228741

danopia

Post by danopia »

EXreaction wrote: You can also use the auto-cookies mod. :)
I'm not sure about that because you have to update the location that phpBB redirects to. I'm not sure if the Auto-Cookies MOD handles that or just the actual cookie settings only.

Grayson

Post by Grayson »

OK, I'm back! Upgraded to latest version. Visual confirmation is installed. Confusabot finally installed correctly and only a few hours passed before a bot registered. Not the outcome I was hoping for, but possibly a step forward. Time will tell. I will change the "Powered by phpBB" statement next and probably try another mod. Any suggestions of ones that seem to be successful and compatiable with what I've already installed?

bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer »

Have you tried the Freecap Visual Confirmation mod?
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

danopia wrote:
EXreaction wrote:You can also use the auto-cookies mod. :)
I'm not sure about that because you have to update the location that phpBB redirects to. I'm not sure if the Auto-Cookies MOD handles that or just the actual cookie settings only.

IIRC it does all of what you need to move it to a different folder. I can't test it now though. :P

Also...

I got my hands on a spam bot and tried it on one of my local boards...and the results were very bad...I tried just about every mod linked in this thread and there were only 2 that really did anything...

Anti-Spam ACP made it so the users could not register with spam in their profile fields, but the spam bot didn't fill them in after I installed it. But the spam bot still posted spam on my board afterwards(could not try the user activation stuff though...this bot supposedly supports user activation by having it send the activation emails to a real email address and having it click the links, but you need the full version(I had the demo) to test it.)

The only one that completely worked when I tested it was Better Captcha. The spam bot could not get past that.

Grayson

Post by Grayson »

Upon your advise I have now installed "Better Captcha" as well. I honestly can't advise the spam registrations have stopped but it does appear they have slackened.

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”