Chat Software

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
TJC

Chat Software

Post by TJC »

Does anyone know if there is a free chat software for phpbb? I found 123 flash chat but they want $199 for a 50 user license.
Govnor

Post by Govnor »

There is a free flash chat software, but I posted a link last time someone who asked before & got told off, so maybe somehow you can find out lol.
TJC

Post by TJC »

Govnor wrote: There is a free flash chat software, but I posted a link last time someone who asked before & got told off, so maybe somehow you can find out lol.

Can you PM the link to me?
espicom

Post by espicom »

There are at least 6 different PHPBB MODs that give you 'chat' capability, including one from http://smartor.is-root.com. Those aren't as flexible as the pay services might be, but they also do not have to use tricky means to "mine" your data for authentication (one I saw had some interesting ways to get information you might not want to share).

Chat was, at one time, the "most wanted" feature by users on one of our boards. We put it in. Activity was high for about two weeks, then disappeared. Users figured out that instant messaging wasn't as important to them, since the world-wide nature of the site (exchange students) meant that their friends might be fast asleep when they were wanting to chat...

When we did a forum update late last year, we didn't put chat back in... It took over a month for anyone to notice that the link had disappeared!
Jeff
Fixing 1016/1030/1034 Errors | (obsolete link) | MySQL 4.1/5.x Client Error | phpBBv2 Logo in ACP
Support requests via PM are ignored!
"To be fully alive is to feel that everything is possible." - Eric Hoffer
groundfighter

Post by groundfighter »

My forum uses Smartors chat software, as espicom suggested though not many people use it. But it does look kind of cool 8)
Cmaza
Name: Caleb

Post by Cmaza »

Search google for PJIRC.
Dave Bean

Post by Dave Bean »

I'd be interested in sharing information on voice chat software integration with phpBB. Certainly Skype might be part of the picture, especially with the improved "I'm online" icons and SkypeCasts to have voice with a group of people.

I haven't had much luck with them, but there are also Flash based voice chat programs that do not require special downloads (other than Flash).
Last edited by Dave Bean on Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Building Internet Communities
www.ColoradoHealth.info
JKeats

Post by JKeats »

there's a really good one called FlashChat. integrates perfectly with phpBB. it's 5 bucks though so i don't think i'm allowed to post a link (since it's not free). google is your friend though.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Dave Bean

Post by Dave Bean »

Had me excited there for a while FlashChat does not seem to do audio. LavChat is interesting and works for some. I've had problems with every Flash audio conference software that I've used, getting it to recognize my settings. Perhaps I'll try again .... let's see if I use my headset mic and default skype to Vinyl AC'97 or close Skype. Webcam works, sounds like maybe working - hard to tell without another person in the chat. Not a business application, but interesting tool with text and audio chat.

I'm not recommending this tool other than an illustration of currently available technology. The future is voice chat with text chat options.
www.ColoradoHealth.info
papabearpw

Post by papabearpw »

Actually, Flashchat does do Audio/Video. You just have to purchase the add-on for another $5. Which makes a total of $10. Still cheaper than LavChat @ $250 and they both require Flash Media Server (or Flash Communication Server) to work. Not sure what that would cost.

I don't use either so I can't say if they are any good.
Dave Bean

Post by Dave Bean »

Thanks - missed the add-on for voice - I'll check it out !
www.ColoradoHealth.info
mrbandit

Post by mrbandit »

I had installed phpMYChat for awhile, but the user count rose over 25 at one time and kept crashing SQL on my web server. Before that it worked fine.
car88win

Post by car88win »

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”