I NEED HELP!!! PLEASE!!!

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
JonB2004

I NEED HELP!!! PLEASE!!!

Post by JonB2004 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:02 pm

I need some help. I'm pricing out computers right now. I need to know what computer I should get and the OS.

What server type do you recommend? Apache or IIS. I want to know if Apache is available as a free download. I know IIS 5.1 is included with Windows XP Professional. But apparently, IIS 5.1 is very limited. I heard IIS 6.0 comes with Windows Server 2003 and it is very good. I need to know this so I can choose an OS.

And what is this PHP thing. Could someone explain it to me? And is it available as a free download?

And what brand of SQL server do you recommend? MySQL, PostreSQL or Microsoft SQL Server? And are they available as free downloads?

I need help ASAP, as I'm pricing out computers right now and I want to start my community before the end of the year.

Thanks,

Jon :D
Come on everyone! Join Paradox Parliament!

http://z4.invisionfree.com/Paradox_Parliament

Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:45 pm

Well we can't really help you if you don't tell us what you are going to use it for.
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|

Drexion
Former Team Member

Post by Drexion » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:51 pm

If you need assistance with deciding on hardware and software for your hosting needs, it would be best to ask those questions at a webhosting community, such as webhostingtalk.

Newfie

Post by Newfie » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:00 pm

Your topic title makes it sound like you were going to die or something...

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:04 am

I will answer this question with the same question I ask everyone that asks for server sizing... how many users will you have? How many page views per month? How many concurrent sessions do you want to support? Those are the questions that you need to answer before you can decide how much server you need to purchase.

As stated, www.webhostingtalk.com is the better place for that sort of discussion.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Jayso

Post by Jayso » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:26 am

Well you mentioned you need PHP... so i advise you use Apache...

That's just out of my experience of not being able to install PHP on IIS though... - Go to webhostingtalk.com and discuss it there...
Jayso

Newfie

Post by Newfie » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:29 am

My my, Web Hosting Talk has enjoyed massive amounts of free advertising on phpBB.com for some years now.

I hope they appreciate it. :D

JonB2004

Post by JonB2004 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:39 am

drathbun wrote: I will answer this question with the same question I ask everyone that asks for server sizing... how many users will you have? How many page views per month? How many concurrent sessions do you want to support? Those are the questions that you need to answer before you can decide how much server you need to purchase.

As stated, www.webhostingtalk.com is the better place for that sort of discussion.

I want lots of users. I expect to have alot of page views. And what do you mean by "concurrent sessions"? I would prefer to buy a consumer desktop to run my community. I don't want a server machine. And I still need my original questions to be answered. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon :D
Come on everyone! Join Paradox Parliament!

http://z4.invisionfree.com/Paradox_Parliament

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:50 am

If you want lots of users, be prepared to buy a server-class machine.

Concurrent users means how many people are on the server at the same time. You don't need a big box if you have 1 million users but only one online at the same time. You do need a big box if you have 1,000 users and every single one of them is online all the time. See the difference?

In my opinion, don't go with windows. Use LAMP, which is Linux - Apache - MySQL - PHP. They all come together as a package that way.

Are you prepared to manage your server? Because to be frank, it doesn't sound like you are. You might be better off leasing a dedicated server and paying someone else to manage the software, and you focus on running your board and marketing and so on. By doing that you can start with a smaller hosting package and see if your board really takes off before investing the big bucks in a major server.

For example, my biggest board is currently hosted on a dual CPU Xeon box. But we didn't start out there. We started on a single Celecron CPU. That was plenty for our first year of activity.

Apache and MySQL and PHP are all available as a free download. All are available to run under Windows. But unless you want to spend your time learning how to install / manage / upgrade these packages, I think you should at least investigate a managed hosting solution. Thus the ever-popular suggestion of going to www.webhostingtalk.com :-)
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”