Upgrading to Configuration 2.0 ???

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
scabby

Upgrading to Configuration 2.0 ???

Post by scabby »

Hey guys n gals

My host is recommending me to 'take advantage of an early upgrade' on my hosting account, the help file read as follows.
Upgrade to Hosting Configuration 2.0
We recommend you to join the ranks of early adopters and upgrade your hosting account to run under our new hosting configuration. This configuration is a major upgrade that adds speed, security, and flexibility to your hosting account. Upgrading provides the following benefits:

NOTE: To review the risks associated with upgrading to the new hosting configuration, click here.

Support for PHP 5
With PHP 5 support, you can program using the latest version of the this server-side scripting language and take advantage of existing applications and add ons written in PHP 5. You can also run both PHP 4 and PHP 5 simultaneously on the same site.

Support for Python 2.3 and 2.4
The latest versions of Python -- 2.3 and 2.4 -- are fully supported.

Support for Ruby and Ruby on Rails
The scripting language Ruby is now supported, along with its application framework, Ruby on Rails. The new hosting configuration allows you to easily leverage both of these technologies.

Scripting Flexibility
CGI, Perl, or Python scripts no longer have to be uploaded to and run from the cgi-bin directory. The new hosting configuration allows any file with a .cgi, .py, or .pl extension to be run from any folder within your Web site.

Administration
The new hosting configuration has a dedicated administration interface from which you can manage and maintain cgi apps, library versions, and Ruby on Rails.

If I click on the risks it takes me to another page which says the following
Before upgrading to Hosting Configuration 2.0, it is important to realize that your site may experience technical problems after the upgrade. For security reasons, the new hosting configuration disables "exec cmd" for the execution of programs from server-side include-enabled pages. Any code using this method will not function correctly after the upgrade. Depending on your site's configuration, there may be a negative performance impact after upgrading. A roll back of an unsuccessful upgrade requires you to contact technical support for assistance.

Since I know little about this is it going to affect my site? It mostly only consists of phpbb2 and a flash chat script.

host is 'hosting dude' which I believe is part of 'GoDaddy.com'
Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

phpBB has been experienced some problems with php5/mySQL 5, but only on servers not correctly configured, so you shouldn't experience problems. Though, do a full backup of your site (database using phpMyAdmin, and the full ftp) prior upgrading the whole thing.
www.eukhost.com

Post by www.eukhost.com »

PHP 5 is much stable now. phpB forums dont have problem with php5 but vbulletin forums do seem to have problems on php5.

Taking full backup of database is recommended as upgrade to mysql5 is not reversible. If you face any problems after upgrade to mysql5 then the database cannot be rolled back to mysql4.
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

www.eukhost.com wrote: PHP 5 is much stable now. phpB forums dont have problem with php5 but vbulletin forums do seem to have problems on php5.

Taking full backup of database is recommended as upgrade to mysql5 is not reversible. If you face any problems after upgrade to mysql5 then the database cannot be rolled back to mysql4.

you are incorrect....phpbb2 does not officially support php5 for the simple reason in some server setups it will not run correctly with php5, although in most cases it will work with php5 no promises can be made.
scabby

Post by scabby »

So back-up if I want to take the risk, or . . . .

If everything is running sweet as apple pie then don't bother! hmmm

Thinking about it I would need to know what the benefits of upgrading would be, not much I would guess as from what your saying phpBB2 does not utilise PHP5 and MySQL 5 ('s) new functions.

I was also thinking of installing something like php Nuke and giving that a go but again my internal digestive system is reacting to the thought of this like a madras curry would.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

sounds like your host trying to get more money out of you.

you do not need any of what they are offering in the "update" to run your site.

as far as NUKE goes, it likely will not run at all if you let them upgrade.

I would stick with what you have.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
davidm999

Post by davidm999 »

I'm also interested in what problems I might have if I upgraded to GoDaddy's 'Hosting Configuration 2'

I need to use PHP5 for another application and according to the Godaddy help pages:

Support for PHP 5
With PHP 5 support, you can program using the latest version of the this server-side scripting language and take advantage of existing applications and add ons written in PHP 5. You can also run both PHP 4 and PHP 5 simultaneously on the same site.

&

By default, files with a .php extension run under PHP 4 and files with the .php5 extension run under PHP 5. The htaccess file, located at the root of your site, can be used to change these default settings.

I don't know much about php but this sounds like PHP4 applications would continue to run normally. Anyone know for sure?

Regards
David M

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”