What MODS should start with

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:21 am

I would like to add something about the cookie MOD.

first, it is not a MOD really, it is just a script that you run to reset some of the configuration settings, like cookie domain, script path, etc.

also, you have to uninstall it or rename the install folder once you are finished using it, or your board will not be accessable.

also, if you leave it there, it is a securtiy issue anyway.

What I hope, is that the new version will do what the cookie MOD does, find the correct settings for the server it is on, ant apply them at installation instead of having to go back and fix them later.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Ronjr

Post by Ronjr » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:37 am

I ran the cookie mod and deleted it like it said, I'm not sure if understand what it does though.

Can I move the forum to a different domain and server and still have the mods and everything else running properly. There wont be any thing I need to transfer from the database because the server its on now is just for testing.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:49 am

Ronjr wrote: I ran the cookie mod and deleted it like it said, I'm not sure if understand what it does though.

Can I move the forum to a different domain and server and still have the mods and everything else running properly. There wont be any thing I need to transfer from the database because the server its on now is just for testing.

the cookie MOD just checks the server and finds out what the best settings are and shows them to you so you can accept them.

you can do the very same thing manually if you have access to the admin panel or to your database. It is just a tool.
often, with a new install, you can't get into the admin panel. the cookie MOD will correct the settings so you can then access the admin panel, or so you can login and stay logged in, etc.

as for moving the forum, sure, it is very easy.

you just copy all your files over to the new one.
then you restore your database backup ,
then you run the cookie MOD so that it will correct all your settings for the new server.

and yes, you will need to move the database over as well. when you install MODs or styles, etc. it changes the database.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”