How to start building a PHP forum?!

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
Hz

How to start building a PHP forum?!

Post by Hz »

Hello folks,

I never worked with PHP before but want to build a PHP message board like this here.The problem´s that I don´t know anything about PHP.I have downloaded PHPBB but I don´t know how to start building it. :oops:

Please help me anyone......tell me what I shall have and how to start with it..... thanks!!!

Kemo
Horde Zla

DanielT
Former Team Member

Post by DanielT »

do you mean set it up

or make ur own forum from scratch??

if the first then

check here

PHPBB Quick Install

and also search on this site

if the last one then this post with porb. get locked

:)

Hz

Post by Hz »

A lot of the files included in the PHPBB package can´t be open :(

I don´t have the programme thats supporting the .php files......so do I have to have a php and I msql programme??

and you have a damn good website(forum?) mate :)
Horde Zla

DanielT
Former Team Member

Post by DanielT »

thanks .. most ppl who like it join LOL (soz mods of topic *smacks himself*)

you will ahve to download php and mysql the links are given in my 'tutorial'

and you use notepad ect. to read and edit php untill there online

Hz

Post by Hz »

I´m downloading those both things yet.....hope I can begin something
Horde Zla

DanielT
Former Team Member

Post by DanielT »

Hz

Post by Hz »

damn mate.....I have the stuff now and have to extract millions of files..I have that winzip wizard but the shit doesn´t work :evil:

What shall I do now??? :roll:
Horde Zla

TimSaysPlease

Post by TimSaysPlease »

geez everyone has problems with these forums, maybe they could make free hosted forums? I have no idea how to do them either ive tried, and done what people have said but it doesnt work! :roll:
Ehhh

The Pelican
Location: Home is where the heart is (which happens to be in the Netherlands)

Post by The Pelican »

TimSaysPlease wrote: geez everyone has problems with these forums, maybe they could make free hosted forums? I have no idea how to do them either ive tried, and done what people have said but it doesnt work! :roll:

Relaaaaaaaax mate !!

I looks harder than it is, really. If you want to get yourself a real problem: try to install it on MS Access :P

Okay, cut the crap here Pelican...

As I was saying: Relax.

Read TFM about 4 or 5 times. Check all info on your server or get the owner of it to do it. Write it down. Take a few deep breathes and try again.

Worked with me. :mrgreen:
The Pelican :)
Knowledge Base || No PM support and no MSN or E-mail support || Asking Questions The Smart Way (and use the template)

DanielT
Former Team Member

Post by DanielT »

The Pelican wrote:
TimSaysPlease wrote:geez everyone has problems with these forums, maybe they could make free hosted forums? I have no idea how to do them either ive tried, and done what people have said but it doesnt work! :roll:

Relaaaaaaaax mate !!

I looks harder than it is, really. If you want to get yourself a real problem: try to install it on MS Access :P

Okay, cut the crap here Pelican...

As I was saying: Relax.

Read TFM about 4 or 5 times. Check all info on your server or get the owner of it to do it. Write it down. Take a few deep breathes and try again.

Worked with me. :mrgreen:

You could install on MSAcces but i wouldnt suggest it

cant have as many users querying it at once like you can on mysql

stick with mysql

MoonBuggy
Former Team Member

Post by MoonBuggy »

TimSaysPlease wrote: geez everyone has problems with these forums, maybe they could make free hosted forums?

It's in the works, look in General Chat :D

It's really not that hard with some background web knowledge, read up a bit on what php is, what apache is and then read the phpBB documentation. All will become clear (hopefully :wink:)
Above post comprised entirely of opinions © MoonBuggy. Cash value £0.02. Not redeemable in all stores. Check our website for full terms and conditions. Opinions come with no warranty either expressed or implied. ;)

Mr. Nissen

Post by Mr. Nissen »

MoonBuggy wrote:
TimSaysPlease wrote:geez everyone has problems with these forums, maybe they could make free hosted forums?

It's really not that hard with some background web knowledge...

Yeah, you do need to have a good understanding of HTML. And it doesn't hurt to know a little PHP if you're going to get in the code and tinker with stuff. Really though, you can change a great deal of the forum by altering tables and changing graphics. As far as fonts and colors, that can all be done through the admin panel. So there's not as much to it as one might think.

Now programming a forum...from scratch...that's a whole new ball game :wink:

/Mr. Nissen bows down to the developers
Very Bored

The Pelican
Location: Home is where the heart is (which happens to be in the Netherlands)

Post by The Pelican »

Mr. Nissen wrote: Yeah, you do need to have a good understanding of HTML. And it doesn't hurt to know a little PHP if you're going to get in the code and tinker with stuff.

I must deny this. I did not have any knowledge of PHP and still not have much and I got myself a perfectly working and about 12 times MODded board.

Also the need of understanding of HTML is a total surprice to me. For installing the forum, modifying it, installing languages and styles you do not need any knowledge of HTML or PHP at all, as long as (now pay attention to this :!: ) follow the instructions.
It might me usefull to have some technical understanding and reading and writing is also a requiered skill (sorry for my bad english by the way ;)), but HTML and PHP skills are not needed as long as you can read and interpretate English.
The Pelican :)
Knowledge Base || No PM support and no MSN or E-mail support || Asking Questions The Smart Way (and use the template)

TimSaysPlease

Post by TimSaysPlease »

I dont know anything with computers thats difficult, so I do what people told me and they dont work http://members.lycos.co.uk/rmandkx/phpBB2/install.php but you can see it didnt work :( god this sucks
Ehhh

MoonBuggy
Former Team Member

Post by MoonBuggy »

TimSaysPlease wrote: I dont know anything with computers thats difficult, so I do what people told me and they dont work http://members.lycos.co.uk/rmandkx/phpBB2/install.php but you can see it didnt work :( god this sucks

What do you mean, its right there :roll:
Above post comprised entirely of opinions © MoonBuggy. Cash value £0.02. Not redeemable in all stores. Check our website for full terms and conditions. Opinions come with no warranty either expressed or implied. ;)

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”