Is this wrong?????????????????

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
baqai

Is this wrong?????????????????

Post by baqai »

I have a moral question for you all,

Is it wrong if i spend time for someone and make a custom made theme for a person (ofcourse using a default template from a theme such as subsilver) and charge the person for it? i spended like about two weeks making a theme for a person (including all the buttons and all) and being first timer on this job took me a long time to figure each and everything out

will it be wrong?

TimSaysPlease

Post by TimSaysPlease »

umm no, you made it, and if you wanna charge go ahead, but dont be surprised if they dont pay, or if not many people use it
Ehhh

The Pelican
Location: Home is where the heart is (which happens to be in the Netherlands)

Post by The Pelican »

Depends on the start situation.

If he / she asked you to do it and you told him / her in advance it would cost this person $$, than you can charge this person. If you did not inform this person to start with, it's not a nice thing to do and it's perfectly reseonable if the other refuses to pay.

If you ARE going to charge the person, than keep in mind that it is YOU problem it took you so long, not the buyer.

Think about it.
The Pelican :)
Knowledge Base || No PM support and no MSN or E-mail support || Asking Questions The Smart Way (and use the template)

dane

Post by dane »

if u spend like 2 weeks make em pay! ur giving ur valuable time for someone,but for free?

i mean its ok if u love doing it and u dont mind and all, but if u were me, ide make em pay.....just MY opinion tho

baqai

Post by baqai »

i did informed,

basically i was supposed to make a html based website for this client, after a week he comes upto me and tells me to add a flash site too for some added bucks, and than he asks me to add this forum,

i do love doing it and it was a new learning experience i was hesitant coz phpbb is sorta open source project (if i am not wrong) so would it be morally wrong to ask about money that's the whole situtation

MoonBuggy
Former Team Member

Post by MoonBuggy »

If it's because of the opensourceness of it, then it depends what you're charging for. It's OK to charge for a theme that you spent time on, and if you're leaving it as subSilver then maybe charge a smaller amount for installation. As long as your not trying to say "I made this forum so pay me for it" (which I doubt you would as you are taking the time to consider what is the right thing to do) then charging for your services is perfectly OK, especially if it is an extra on a paid project you are already on.
Above post comprised entirely of opinions © MoonBuggy. Cash value £0.02. Not redeemable in all stores. Check our website for full terms and conditions. Opinions come with no warranty either expressed or implied. ;)

baqai

Post by baqai »

thank you all :)

i was thinking about charging the person a fee of $75 for installation and the custom theme

the only thing i have added is at the bottom of the page i have added "Custom Theme By <myname>" this line is below the phpBB2 copyright notice i hope this is not a problem?

The reason behind me being hestant about the issue is that many people have taken credit of things i have done and i know how much it hurts and i hate suckers and people who go around claiming other people's work

Slimeboy

Post by Slimeboy »

baqai wrote: the only thing i have added is at the bottom of the page i have added "Custom Theme By <myname>" this line is below the phpBB2 copyright notice i hope this is not a problem?

That is fine. If you have a site you might want to make that text into a link to your site.

TimSaysPlease

Post by TimSaysPlease »

slimeboy- does your host work better than lycos? and does it accept phpmysql?

baqai- That to me seems a little high, but if people will pay for it, so be it. and good luck!
Ehhh

arhodes16
Former Team Member

Post by arhodes16 »

Yeah, it is fine in terms of complying with the phpBB group, but generally for clients who are paying good money for my code/site design, I make a point of not leaving links to me all over the place. At the end of the day, its their site, and although they have to link to phpBB (well, sort of :P), advertising that you made the style is a big naughty IMHO, as they are technically buying it off you. Then again, if it offends them, they can just remove it when you are out of the picture ;)

MoonBuggy
Former Team Member

Post by MoonBuggy »

TimSaysPlease wrote: baqai- That to me seems a little high, but if people will pay for it, so be it. and good luck!

Themes and graphics take time, if you look at hourly rates, and how long the average custom theme takes, $75 is pretty good. It might be a bit high just for installation, but not for a theme as well :D
Above post comprised entirely of opinions © MoonBuggy. Cash value £0.02. Not redeemable in all stores. Check our website for full terms and conditions. Opinions come with no warranty either expressed or implied. ;)

Mr. Nissen

Post by Mr. Nissen »

baqai wrote: thank you all :)

i was thinking about charging the person a fee of $75 for installation and the custom theme

Don't undersell yourself on it. That price seems kind of low for installation and development of a theme. I know it takes awhile to make your very first theme so I'd cut some slack on it as far as time goes. But I would definately be charging for development time if this is a client. And be very specific that what you are charging for is the development of a theme and installation. Just so they don't think you're trying to charge for the programming of the forum. Had a similar situation with a client who had another company charge them a few thousand dollars to make a calendar for their site. Turns out they just horked a free one and said they made it. That's just no good. So just be sure they no what they're being charged for.
Very Bored

The Pelican
Location: Home is where the heart is (which happens to be in the Netherlands)

Post by The Pelican »

MoonBuggy wrote:
TimSaysPlease wrote:baqai- That to me seems a little high, but if people will pay for it, so be it. and good luck!

Themes and graphics take time, if you look at hourly rates, and how long the average custom theme takes, $75 is pretty good. It might be a bit high just for installation, but not for a theme as well :D

Rather cheap even... My boss will only hire me to you for 3 hours for this price... But than again.... There is a lot of overhead in there.
The Pelican :)
Knowledge Base || No PM support and no MSN or E-mail support || Asking Questions The Smart Way (and use the template)

baqai

Post by baqai »

Thank you again people for all the replies, i guess for the first time i am going to charge my client $75 as i have already quoted him the price and i don't believe in changing my word.

I told him that i am going to use phpBB2 and going to make a custom theme according to his needs, he just want the job done doesnt care about anything and fast .. typical buisnessman (with all due respect)

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”