It should be standard.

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Again, it is why I am switching to a board that has the features I need built-in and doesn't force me to modify code (and know how to modify code) just to update to the latest version.

That is a valid choice as well. :-)

phpBB comes with certain advantages, and certain disadvantages. When the disadvantages outweigh the advantages in your situation then it's time to change. Having the ability to tweak the source code is an advantage to some, a disadvantage for others. I say "ability to tweak", you say "need to modify", and we're both talking about the same thing. 8)
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
kdma1

Post by kdma1 »

"When the disadvantages outweigh the advantages in your situation then it's time to change."

That's my unfortunate situation currently as well. I want to do so much more with my community but phpbb doesn't offer anything we need.

You guys make a forums software. That's great and it's an awesome software that works almost flawlessly... however. It should be noted that EVERYTHING evolves with time. Perhaps you should consider implementing certain features to make your software a bit more "robust" so that it can handle the environment for which it was intended.

The thing to keep in mind here is that you are not evolving, you're merely adding simple features and fixing bugs. The community you originally intended your software to be used for however, IS evolving and is becoming increasingly demanding.

Ask yourselves, do you honestly believe all the world needs is polling and smileys?

We need more despite what your "policy" might say.
SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

kdma1 wrote: The thing to keep in mind here is that you are not evolving, you're merely adding simple features and fixing bugs. The community you originally intended your software to be used for however, IS evolving and is becoming increasingly demanding.

Ask yourselves, do you honestly believe all the world needs is polling and smileys?

We need more despite what your "policy" might say.

Software growth means new versions, and major growth means major revisions. phpBB 3.0 is that major revision (as the version number indicates), and it is intended to replace phpBB 2.0.x as the phpBB flagship product.

So…I still fail to see how any phpbBB policy is the central problem in and of itself. If there were no major phpBB product revision in development, I could understand the argument. As it is, I'm missing something.
SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

guspasho wrote: I would think that anything that makes the core forum more useable (or, in the case of anti-spammer measures, at least prevents it from becoming less useable) should be counted among "needs". I think when there are complaints from hundreds and possibly even thousands of users (and that's just those who do bother to register here to complain) about daily spambot registrations, there is a problem with the whole system.

The question is how to respond to the problems as a developer, I think. Given the nature of phpBB as a project, they have an either-or choice to make, really, and not a both-and. The developers can continue to build upon and rework the phpBB 2.0 core, or they can replace it. They faced the same decision with phpBB 1.x, and they replaced phpBB 1 and discontinued support for it altogether.

We have a similar situation now. The difference is that phpBB 2.0 will still be supported on phpBB 3.0 release. But in terms of responding to community feedback and in terms of the viability of the product itself, the decision was made to replace the 2.x product line rather than continue it. We're all, community wide, stuck in the gap between the making of that decision some time ago and product delivery.
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

I'll point out [since it seems noone's done so already] there is a halfway house, in the form of premods. They have all these MODs already, and provide a changed files update pack, so easy upgrades. However there are numerous tradeoffs, in that they are usually bloated with features you don't want, they are slow to update to a new version, and you can't get support for them here. If you still think it sounds good, search for "phpBB Premod" in google
Graham
Former Team Member

Post by Graham »

I'm just going to briefly respond to this to note that the points Sam has made are largely correct.

We are adding new features to the product, but those new features will be part of 3.0 and not 2.0. I don't think anyone will dispute that this is later than we wanted it to be, but the unfortunate fact is that real life intervened rather badly in the development process several times.

The 2.0 line is (and has been for quite some time) frozen to any new features except for those which are explicitly needed for reasons of security. As I've noted a few times, any changes to the 2.0 line at all have to be weighed very carefully against the impact they will have on the currently available MODs and styles for the product.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

phpBB Useful Links: Knowledge Base | Userguide | Forum Search | MOD Database | Styles Database
My Links: Blog!

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”