Word Censoring List

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
yongkian

Word Censoring List

Post by yongkian »

Em...I wonder is it possible that someone can come out with Common Word Censoring List... Or should phpBB have one?
safe_reader

Post by safe_reader »

Umm... I thought most admins came to the realization that word censor lists don't really work. They actualy tend to cause more problems than they fix. Why do you actually need one?

Do you plan to also stop people from insterting dots or typos for certain CENSORED words too?
peeeyush

Post by peeeyush »

ya i too think word censoring lists shall be released..
webmasters at the end can modify them as per theit forums..
Noobarmy

Post by Noobarmy »

you can try the one over at phpbbinstallers : Bad Word List :)
alvo

Post by alvo »

That list is an attempt to make posted spam links not show up, not top naughty words from being used. It's a long list that doesn't attack the real problem, which is the posting by bots.

It's really not that hard to come up with a basic list of words that you don't want to be used and put them on the list. As you find other things you consider offensive, add them. A "bad" word for one person may be one commonly used by another, so making a default list that fits everyone isn't really possible.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

This is more what you want.
http://www.4cm.com/badwordlist/
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
alvo

Post by alvo »

Amusing list! Go through it carefully and remove the stuff you don't want. schaffer? Like David Letterman's band leader? schmuck (but not the alternate spelling of shmuck)? Yiddish for a stupid person. Can't have that.

I did see a bunch of stuff that I have no idea what it means, and would be careful about stuff with wildcards and words with common, non-offensive meanings (like screw).
**Danny**
I've Been Banned!

Post by **Danny** »

Well i have a load of words that i have censored,
and i have a report forum so if people swear and it doesn't
get * out then i just go and edit it and if i have to, lock it!
Graham
Former Team Member

Post by Graham »

We don't provide pre-populated lists because there will always be disagreement over what should be on them - most I've seen, including those linked here are generally over the top
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

phpBB Useful Links: Knowledge Base | Userguide | Forum Search | MOD Database | Styles Database
My Links: Blog!
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

Graham wrote: We don't provide pre-populated lists because there will always be disagreement over what should be on them - most I've seen, including those linked here are generally over the top

Quite the faux-pas, IIRC :wink:
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”