Search engine optimization methods... which is best?

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
Soliloquy

Search engine optimization methods... which is best?

Post by Soliloquy » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:03 pm

I've been using the Able2Know SEO mod on my forums for some time now, and this morning heard about SEO Master. So I did a search here in hopes of finding out more about it and found [BETA] SEO Urls V2. The two look pretty similar to my untrained eye, can anyone tell me what the differences are and which is better for enticing search engines to index my sites?

Thanks for any advice!

Michelle

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Search engine optimization methods... which is best?

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:36 pm

Soliloquy wrote: I've been using the Able2Know SEO mod on my forums for some time now, and this morning heard about SEO Master. So I did a search here in hopes of finding out more about it and found [BETA] SEO Urls V2. The two look pretty similar to my untrained eye, can anyone tell me what the differences are and which is better for enticing search engines to index my sites?

Thanks for any advice!

Michelle

the search engines will index every single post /page of your board without any type of SEO MODs installed. the only thing that might help is if you remove the SID for guests, it helps the search bots a little bit, but even that is not necessary.

the one you have installed is about the biggest, most complicated one out there. If it isnt' helping, then nothing else will. If you are talking about page ranking, then that is a different problem. The only way to get higher page ranking is to follow the search engine rules;

1. relevant content
2. inbound and outbound links to other relevant content.

it is just that simple.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

mrLenin

Post by mrLenin » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:23 am

I was thinking to use SEO Master too. So it does not do anything to help my forum gets more trafic ?

mgutt

Re: Search engine optimization methods... which is best?

Post by mgutt » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:45 pm

Soliloquy wrote: I've been using the Able2Know SEO mod

Uses an amount of memory per page generation. My one is much faster and uses "talking URLs".
Soliloquy wrote: this morning heard about SEO Master

I don't know this mod. But it can't be good. It changes the search numeric to search strings.. this would be really slow in big forums. Next point is that they don't thought about double content. Maybe someone has the code lines.. I think they need more sql queries as well. And of course.. it costs money ;)
Soliloquy wrote: So I did a search here in hopes of finding out more about it and found [BETA] SEO Urls V2. The two look pretty similar to my untrained eye, can anyone tell me what the differences are and which is better for enticing search engines to index my sites?

This is my mod, so I'm not allowed to acclaim it. But I thought about to working against double content, made a very fast .htaccess (tested), made a very fast way of url rewriting without adding big queries or similar. And the best: Its for free ;)

If you are using CH you can use SEO Urls V2 Version 2.0.X in a near future. It will be the best of my mod_rewrite modifications, but I'm testing some new features others never released before. More Information on the CH Edition:
http://www.phpbb-de.com/seo-urls-f17.html

Before you ask: A new version for vanilla phpBB will come with Olympus I think. ;)
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: the search engines will index every single post /page of your board without any type of SEO MODs installed. the only thing that might help is if you remove the SID for guests, it helps the search bots a little bit, but even that is not necessary.

Sorry, you don't know anything about SEO basics. Ok, "talking urls" won't be better than "short urls", but let them ending as .html will push your indexing value 2-10x times more. phpBB isn't optimized for search engines. every post url is double content. So this is the reason why I replaced the most of them with topic urls. But there are much more reasons in add SEO Urls. "talking urls" f.e. produce better clicks results. Test it.. a "talking url" in 3rd position will produce better clickrates than the one on the 1st position.

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: the one you have installed is about the biggest, most complicated one out there.

no comment...
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: If it isnt' helping, then nothing else will.

Your wrong.. double content.. as i said before... The main reason is because of the index limit. f.e. if a page is popular a page gets a limit of 40k indexed pages. But if they contain 25% double content or more.. an important topic maybe isn't listed because of that.
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: If you are talking about page ranking, then that is a different problem. The only way to get higher page ranking is to follow the search engine rules;
1. relevant content
2. inbound and outbound links to other relevant content.

You're completly right :D
mrLenin wrote: I was thinking to use SEO Master too. So it does not do anything to help my forum gets more trafic ?

It will... as every other SEO Mod, too. But only if you have a specific minimum of popularity. If your forums won't be active because you don't have members or posts.. it can't be better with SEO. SEO Mods need all content. Quality content causes recurrent users.. mass causes many guests without letting grow your community. So the best SEO modification is to concentrate on your community, not working on SEO strategies.
Forums: Honda || phpBB Categories Hierarchy
Mods: Spamfilter against bot registrations || Seo Urls

mrLenin

Post by mrLenin » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:19 pm

Thanks for useful information MGUT

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”