How do you use tables in forum posts without using mods?

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
dugchugger

How do you use tables in forum posts without using mods?

Post by dugchugger »

I looked this up a long time ago, found the answer, implemented it and had it working for a while. It no longer words and I can no longer find the solution. Apparently my "search" skills suck... even after reading the tips for searching.

I can't remember what files needed to be changed. Can anyone provide any direction?

I'm not using any mods on my forums. I just need to be able to use tables in some posts, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

How does this topic differ from the one you started in Mod requests?

If you want to do this without a mod then you will have to allow html on your board. (bad idea)
However it is your choice - go to Admin CP>general admin>configuration and select to allow html. Now add all the tags you want to use to the list that is already there. You and all your users that want to see the tables would have to allow html via their profile.

No mod - just not a good idea.

Please do not start another topic with the same question.

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!
dojo.ro

Post by dojo.ro »

Just guessing here: maybe if you have HTML enabled ..
Webmaster Tips & Tricks - forums, articles, tutorials, free exclusive graphics and forum themes
My blog
dugchugger

Post by dugchugger »

Jim_UK wrote: How does this topic differ from the one you started in Mod requests?

I didn't start the topic in mod requests... and was not looking for a mod solution... my post was moved there prolly cuz someone suggested a mod. :D

As it was moved to mods, I was afraid I would not get the replies I need that are not mod-related... as in ppl not interested in mods may not check that forum. To my knowledge, I don't have the authority to move my posts back to where I originally posted them. If I'm wrong, pls advise.

Is it a bad idea to enable html due to security risks?

I had already delved into the admin file that allows me to enter the html code, but when I tested the table, it looks like it was automatically embedded in another table, which pushes mine down too far on the page. Any idea how to get around this?

I'm using phpbb cuz it seemed a viable option for a virtual php noob like myself... so pls bear with me as I try to learn this stuff. So far, most folks seem to be pretty helpful and tolerant here... and I appreciate that. :D

Edit: It seems I had added the html code to config.php thinking that that would make a diff... but apparently not. Thanks for pointing me in the appropriate direction. This is just a temporary solution, especially if using html poses any kind of security threat.
Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

It is advisable to not enable html but to use bbcodes where you can. There is a mod that will let you create tables in posts using a bbcode.
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=219269

Jim
The truth is out there.
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

dugchugger wrote: I didn't start the topic in mod requests... and was not looking for a mod solution... my post was moved there prolly cuz someone suggested a mod. :D

That's correct.
As it was moved to mods, I was afraid I would not get the replies I need that are not mod-related... as in ppl not interested in mods may not check that forum. To my knowledge, I don't have the authority to move my posts back to where I originally posted them. If I'm wrong, pls advise.

Then please PM the moderator who moved your topic (me in this case), explain the issue, and ask to have your topic moved back rather than starting a new one please. :-)
dugchugger wrote: I wasn't looking for a mod. Last time I looked into this I found an answer that didn't require a mod... but for a file or two (or more?) to be edited to allow the table codes.

That is what a MOD is, it doesn't have to be formally released, but if you're asking for alterations to the code, then you're asking for a MOD. Thus the move to MOD Requests.

The phpBB Discussion forum is not a place for soliciting individual help. If you need support, there's a forum for that. If you need some ideas for changing (modifying) the default functionality, there's a forum (MOD Requests) for that too.

If you were asking about why someone would want to include tables, or what the risks are, this is the place. "How to" questions do not belong in this forum.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
dugchugger

Post by dugchugger »

Changing codes = mod request
How to = support
Advice = discussion

By george I think I've got it. :idea:

Terribly sorry... I honestly thought a mod was something that had to be installed and didn't realize it referred to changing code as well. :oops:

So when I attempt the mod (which I think I'm gonna do now) and screw it up, do I ask for help in support? or stick to the mod request forum? :lol:
Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

When you screw it up.
Sorry -if you screw it up then you get support for that mod in the release/support topic for the mod. :D

Jim
The truth is out there.
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

dugchugger wrote: Changing codes = mod request
How to = support
Advice = discussion

By george I think I've got it. :idea:

Well I hope I didn't come across as a total jerk, but yes, you have it. :-)
Terribly sorry... I honestly thought a mod was something that had to be installed and didn't realize it referred to changing code as well. :oops:

A "mod" is short for "code modifications" so there you go. 8)
So when I attempt the mod (which I think I'm gonna do now) and screw it up, do I ask for help in support? or stick to the mod request forum? :lol:

Well, if you use the "mod" linked in your other topic, you would post in that topic. If you're doing something just for yourself, and need some help, then the MOD Writers forum is where you can post what you're trying to accomplish, what you've tried so far, and try to get some help.

Or you can post in MOD Requests, see what happens, and post your follow-up questions in the same topic.

Again, my apologies if I seemed to be a bit over the top with my earlier response, I don't mean to be.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
dugchugger

Post by dugchugger »

I think you were very straightforward in your answers and very generous. I *think* I'm headed in the right direction. Wish me luck. :D

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”