Databases

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
Haravikk

Databases

Post by Haravikk »

Okay, I'm at a complete loss as to where this should go, it isn't exactly a feature request (I don't know where they go anyway) so I will post here. Please someone tell me if this should be somehwere else!

Anyway, the one concern I have with PhpBB is that my host does not support any type of database. Now, it's all well and good for you to say "go pay for host that does" but I'm not made of money now am I!
I can't even install a database myself on my host which sux :(

But the thing is, PHP doesn't require a database to run, so would it not be possible for PhpBB to run WITHOUT a database? I doubt that any features or whatever would cease to work without a database since the whole code would remain mostly the same, except that instead of writing to a database it would be writing to something else.

The vast majority of alternative forum scripts (ie - ones using Perl) suck and I really love how easy it is to use PhpBB! I can easily put up with a little CHMODing if it means I can run PhpBB without a database.
Black Fluffy Lion
Former Team Member

Post by Black Fluffy Lion »

phpBB will not work without a database. it is built for a database, not flat file. There are some free hosts which support databases (e.g. tripod), check here for a list of them
Haravikk

Post by Haravikk »

What I mean is I think it would be cool if PhpBB could run without a database, if for example a script was added which worked like a database structure but was actually just storing files locally. That would allow PhpBB to run on even more servers
Flipper

Post by Flipper »

This has been tried before and failed. All that would need changed would be the DB Abstraction Layer but extremely difficult to do. Also there are certain issues with flat-file systems.
~Flipper
_____
Website - #Team.SoC - A Call of Duty clan
No PM/IM Support given :)

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”