Using phpBB with mailing list

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
brownfrog

Using phpBB with mailing list

Post by brownfrog »

Hi

think most of these questions belong in a MOD general discussion, really, but as there doesn't appear to be one, I hope this one's OK. I've been trying to investigate alternatives to Yahoo for a group of die-hard mailing list users, who insist on having a mailing list facility that allows individual emails or a digest, so I'd be very grateful for help with these:

1) What mailing list facility programs work with phpBB? So far, I've found Mail2Forum and CM4F. Are there any others, and do people have any opinions on which ones work best?

2) It seems that M2F can be used in conjunction with DigestMod to give users the facility for a digest or individual emails - is this correct, and are there others that can do this too?

3) Are there any free phpBB hosts that you know of that allow one of these mailing/digest mods to be used? To persuade my group, I need to be able to set up one with mailing list facility as a demo. It's easy to find a host that allows you to set up a free phpBB board, but tracking down one that allows a mailing list facility has proved very difficult.

Many thanks

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

Moved to phpBB2 Discussion as it is hardly General Discussion.

Re item 3
We do not suggest any hosting as it always results in a spam fest.
Try webhostingtalk.net and the best of luck as I think the time is close when there will not be any hosts allowing mailing lists as they are having real problems with spammers.

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!

imac600

Post by imac600 »

phpBB hosts with mailing lists are hard to find for one reason. phpBB isn't a mailing list package.

:P

I would recommend you find a web host with PHP and MySQL (just Google for Free Web Hosts), install phpBB and then apply one of the mods you have already listed.

brownfrog

Post by brownfrog »

Jim_UK wrote: Moved to phpBB2 Discussion as it is hardly General Discussion.

Re item 3
We do not suggest any hosting as it always results in a spam fest.
Try webhostingtalk.net and the best of luck as I think the time is close when there will not be any hosts allowing mailing lists as they are having real problems with spammers.

Jim

Thanks for this. Isn't there a way of having security so that only people on the list (and it would be a very restricted, moderated list) can email?

brownfrog

Post by brownfrog »

imac600 wrote: phpBB hosts with mailing lists are hard to find for one reason. phpBB isn't a mailing list package.
I would recommend you find a web host with PHP and MySQL (just Google for Free Web Hosts), install phpBB and then apply one of the mods you have already listed.

Thank you, this is one of the points I'm already aware of. We're trying to get away from the idea of a mailing list, but the members will not countenance a web-only interface - it has to have email facility, both for reading and for posting.

I was hoping to find a free host that already offered phpBB as its software for hosting discussion boards, and at the same time would allow the mods to be installed even if they're not offered as part of the package. However, although I have found lots of free hosts, none seem to offer CM4F/M2F as part of the board, and all the ones I've emailed directly (and that have bothered to reply) have said they don't allow it, even if you install php yourself. Rather than email every web host out there, I was hoping that someone could shorten this effort for me and suggest a host that does allow this.

I can't see that it's possible to install phpBB and the mods unless the host allows this. Or is it? If it is, then that's fine, I can do that, but if not, how do I find out who's likely to offer it? We probably won't stay on a free board, but it's been an uphill struggle to get this far, and without an example site, it's unlikely to be accepted, and unless it's accepted, money won't be forthcoming to buy web space. I understand Jim's point about spam, and I do sympathise and don't want to make it any more difficult for the board than it is, but perhaps members could offer suggestions to me in a PM, if that's allowed?. Please?

In the meantime, has anyone got any answers to queries 1 and 2? Any help greatly appreciated.

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

My advice is: if you want a mailing list, get a mailing list. Anything you get to "add-on" to phpBB is going to be challenging to find, implement, support, and upgrade. If the mailing list features are more important than what phpBB supplies, then I believe it's not a good solution for you.

Make your list of features, and pick the product. Don't pick the product and try to make it fit your requirements if it doesn't. My free advice for the day, and worth exactly what you paid for it. :-)
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”