what are the index.hyml pages for?

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
SJ MAC

what are the index.hyml pages for?

Post by SJ MAC »

Ive noticed that every theme/style has a index.html page, usaully with a graphic and theme authors details on etc but what are they for? Can I edit them and make them into other pages on the my site/forum?

The reason I ask is because my site is still under construction and althou I have set up & styled my forum I havent made a home/index page for my site and I was wondering if it would be benificial to edit and use the index.html and my sites home/index page?

drathbun
Former Team Member

Re: what are the index.hyml pages for?

Post by drathbun »

They are there primarily as a security precaution, of sorts. If you have a directory that does not have an index file of some sort and you don't put in some sort of web server directive as to how to handle that, then your web server will generall default to listing the contents of the folder by filename. Most folks don't want that.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

SJ MAC

Post by SJ MAC »

Ah ha I see thank you. Well I would like to use my forum index page as my sites home page is that possible?

romans1423
Name: Rick Beckman

Post by romans1423 »

The forum index page by default is index.php; just install your board in your site's root directory (i.e., domain.tld/), and the index.php will be your homepage as well (unless there are already existing index.* files in that same folder, which may take precedent).

As for the index.html files contained in all of phpBB's subfolders, I replaced them with something a bit more functional: index.php files which contained a redirect back to my board's index. That way, not only can't people get my directory listings, they will simply land back at the home page for their troubles.

If you'd like to do the same, the contents of each index.php file (except for those in the root and /admin/ folders) is as follows:

Code: Select all

<?php
header('Location: http://domain.tld/index.php');
exit;
?>
Just make sure that the address is changed to reflect your home page's. ;)

SJ MAC

Post by SJ MAC »

:) Thanks dude! much appreciated.

SJ MAC

Post by SJ MAC »

opps now i cant login. I put all my forum files from /web/forum in my directory to just /web so my forum index is now my home page, thats all cool but I cant login. I'll just have to edit the root directory on a few files to just /web right? Which files? I cant see anything on the login.php that needs changing

romans1423
Name: Rick Beckman

Post by romans1423 »

There is an option called "Script Path" in the admin panel that would need to be changed from /forum to /

You might also need to reset your cookie domain as well.

Because you can't login, you may have to fix it via a MySQL query, via phpMyAdmin or similar. The query would be similar to this:

Code: Select all

UPDATE `phpbb_config` SET `config_value` = '/' WHERE `config_name` = 'cookie_path' LIMIT 1;
UPDATE `phpbb_config` SET `config_value` = '/' WHERE `config_name` = 'script_path' LIMIT 1;
Make sure to change both instances of phpbb_ to reflect your own database prefix.

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

Or as an alternative

To correct configuration problems use the Auto cookie mod.
You must ftp the complete install directory to the root of phpBB2
Run the file with your browser like http://yourdomain/yourphpBB2/install/cookie.php
Accept all suggested settings and then:-
Delete the install directory
Log out and clear cache and cookies in your browser.
Now close and restart your browser.
If this does not work then run the mod again and post the "Suggested" and "Actual" settings into this support thread

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”