Risks of using mods not from this site

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
The Dark One

Risks of using mods not from this site

Post by The Dark One »

What are the risks of using mods from other sites on my phpBB2 board?

I have come accross something called 'The Blog Mod' for phpbb2 which looks reaaly cool 8) but its on another website.

Has anyone else tried it out and what are the risks involved in using a mod from another site that has not been through the processes on here?

Thanks
The Dark One
The Dark One

Re: Risks of using mods not from this site

Post by The Dark One »

Hi Guys

Quick correction

I have found reference to The Blog Mod on the mods forum but it does not come up on the search function in the mods data base.

Still interested to hear about experiences with this mod.

Is there any reason it does not find it in search of mods database?

Thanks
Tha Dark One
battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

Basically, we can't give you any guarantees over its security.

All MOD's in the phpBB MOD DB have been through strict checks first, while other sites most likely do not offer the same level of checks, if any.

Also, you will not be able to obtain support for MOD's at phpBB.com if you have downloaded them offsite.
Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D
MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

As per battye. Also, as per the MODDB home page, we, the phpBB MOD Team, do not officially support any of the MODs that are in the MODDB. We do validate these MODs against a certain level of security, however, so your best bet is obtaining MODs from this site. However, note that if you ever have any incidents arising from use of any of the MODs obtained from this site, the phpBB MOD Team is not responsible. "Use at your own risk" applies everywhere, but there should be less risk associated with officially validated MODs.
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."
The Dark One

Post by The Dark One »

Thanks for the heads up guys

I did finally find info in the mods development forum but the download was from a link in the forum and not from the mods database.

I really like the idea of users having their own blog page so think I will give it a try before I launch site just to see how it goes.

The Dark One
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

I've been using the Blog Mod for my site since July 2005 and have had no problems with. It's spectacular software; has every feature you need to do a proper blog.
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog
MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

The Dark One wrote: Thanks for the heads up guys

I did finally find info in the mods development forum but the download was from a link in the forum and not from the mods database.

I really like the idea of users having their own blog page so think I will give it a try before I launch site just to see how it goes.

The Dark One

Note that no user should be installing MODs obtained from the MODs in Development forum on a live site. They're development MODs and should be treated as such.

Please do not stray off topic... any inquiries about MODs should be posted in the MODs' corresponding threads.
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."
The Dark One

Post by The Dark One »

Thank you Dog Cow

Thank you MennoniteHobbit and Sorry for straying off thread.

The Dark One
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Here's the way I look at it. Every MOD should come with a disclaimer that says "Use at your own risk". That risk factor is higher for MODs in the development forum, and I would suggest (as my opinion) that it's also higher for MODs available from other sites. Some sites simply allow folks to post MODs without any review whatsoever. At least here the MODs have been reviewed by one (sometimes more) folks before they're approved.

Does it mean they are perfect? No. If every MOD was perfect and bug-free then the MOD support topics would be very short indeed. :-) But the risks are lower.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

Ditto what has been said already, but

I have personally used the blog MOD, and I hate it. It was being spammed so bad my site got suspended, and it's coded so poorly it's horrible. Another thing to note it that it doesn't work on PHP5 without extra tweaking.

Definetly not the quality of released MODs from this site.
Systems Engineering
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

smithy_dll wrote: I have personally used the blog MOD, and I hate it. It was being spammed so bad my site got suspended, and it's coded so poorly it's horrible. Another thing to note it that it doesn't work on PHP5 without extra tweaking.

Shoutbox spam? Yeah, I had to adjust it so only registered users could post messages. And I've got a lot of the SQL queries cached. But otherwise, I haven't had any problems. Maybe I've just been lucky so far... :?

But I know what you mean about getting bad mods with no review. I've come across a few bad eggs myself, mods that look great, but make you barf when you look at the source.. *cough* ShopHack *cough*
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”