What happened to style samples?

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
rantbot

What happened to style samples?

Post by rantbot »

Before the big revision there was a way to scroll through all the available styles to see how they looked. I haven't seen it since the revision. Where did it go?
drathbun
Former Team Member

Re: What happened to style samples?

Post by drathbun »

The style samples were displayed by applying the style (temporarily) to your session while visiting this board. Since this board is now running phpBB3 and the styles were all for phpBB2, there's not really a way to bring them back under the original format. I don't know what the eventual plans are; perhaps one of the styles team members will chime in with more knowledge.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

There are some that you can see here

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!
rantbot

Post by rantbot »

Jim_UK wrote:There are some that you can see here
Good, that looks like the page I remember. At one time it was linked directly from one of the pages concerned with style downloads or description. But I haven't seen the link since the reorganization.

So far as I can see, aside from that page, the only way to see what a style looks like is to D/L and install it. Is that right?
Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

As drathbun has pointed out - it is not possible to have the phpBB2 styles demo running on here now as this site is powered by phpBB3. I think what I have posted the link to is about as near as you are going to get demo wise.
Of course all the styles that are compliant with later versions are still downloadable from here. http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewforum.php?f=22

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!
rantbot

Post by rantbot »

drathbun wrote:The style samples were displayed by applying the style (temporarily) to your session while visiting this board. Since this board is now running phpBB3 and the styles were all for phpBB2, there's not really a way to bring them back under the original format.
There's something I don't understand here. Does this mean that phpBB3 doesn't have different styles?

I've never used phpBB3. I've been running a forum with phpBB2.0.20 and 2.0.21 more or less successfully for over a year, and have no grand plans to change anything major. But I like to keep an eye on new styles.
x-fi6

Post by x-fi6 »

My site (along with a bunch of others') is:
http://www.zeldacastle.com/index.php
for just in case you need it. ;) Thanks.
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

rantbot wrote:There's something I don't understand here. Does this mean that phpBB3 doesn't have different styles?
Not officially, no. phpBB3 has not been released, and as such has no officially recognized MODs or styles yet.

The old styles demo cannot simply be repointed to this board, since the structures are completely different.

I don't see a technical reason why you could not have a demo phpBB2 board running, and point the styles demo there, but that is a decision for the Styles Team to consider.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”