Selling script that includes phpBB board - Legality?

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
securitynut

Selling script that includes phpBB board - Legality?

Post by securitynut » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:25 am

Hello,

I have written a barebones website system and have integrated the phpBB2 board system with it (Only small modifications). I am interested in selling this package, however I want to check the legality regarding the inclusion of phpBB in the script.

Is there any issue with this? I am obviously not charging for phpBB itself, only my actual website system which is integrated with the forum.

Thanks.

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Re: Selling script that includes phpBB board - Legality?

Post by Marshalrusty » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:10 am

phpBB is released under the GNU GPL, which can be found here: http://www.phpbb.com/downloads/license/

If you are using phpBB in your system, then your entire system must be released under the GPL. You must also give proper credit to phpBB. You should be able to find the answers to most of your questions here: http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html
More specifically: http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/g ... AllowMoney

If you charge for software released under the GNU GPL, there is nothing stopping others from redistributing the package free of charge. That is the nature of the GPL.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

valanb

Post by valanb » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:46 pm

what if I wanted to create a site where users could install a copy of phpbb in a subdirectory, possibly with minor modifications? would I have to make available the source code for the rest of the site, even if I'm not redistributing the code and just using it on my site?

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:54 pm

It's really simple. You are under no obligation to give away your code. But if you do, you must give it with the same freedom it came with.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

ckwalsh
Former Team Member
Name: Cullen Walsh

Post by ckwalsh » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:37 pm

valanb wrote:what if I wanted to create a site where users could install a copy of phpbb in a subdirectory, possibly with minor modifications? would I have to make available the source code for the rest of the site, even if I'm not redistributing the code and just using it on my site?
If the users upload and install phpBB by themselves and your code does not use any phpBB variables or classes (I'm not sure about config.php for getting database info. I'd think that would be ok), I think you are then clear for selling your code with your own license. You could only access the board through your own interface to the database, and could not use the template system or sessions system from phpBB.
Where to post what | Forum Rules | The Dos and Don'ts of General Discussion
In Seattle and want to meet, chat, or have a coffee? Drop me a PM.

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”