The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
stvpierce

Post by stvpierce » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:15 pm

Greetings,

I just installed a board on my site (currently under construction) and something occurred to me that I thought was worth asking about. Has anyone ever had a problem with users uploading avatar images without respecting the copyright holder of those images? Would I be liable were that to take place?

I know lots of people use popular images from movies and TV as their avatars, but how legal is that? Since my avatar folder is empty, I did a web search looking for sets to download to the gallery, and found some images claiming to be "free" featuring characters from the original Star Trek series. Surely, those images have to be copyrighted. I know there are lots of sources for royalty-free photos on the web, but what about avatar sets? Anyone know of a good resource?

Thanks,
Steve Pierce

Gunnar

Re: Avatar copyright question

Post by Gunnar » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:21 pm

pictures of copyrighted material (such as screenshots from movies and such) are only awalible under the fair use clause, or so i belive, who is liable i am not sure but i would think that you need to relive your liability in the forum TOS..

but hey, i am not a lawyer, you should ask your lawyer

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”