Is this a reasonable charge?

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
CassieT

Is this a reasonable charge?

Post by CassieT »

Hi - I've recently moved my forum to a new, paid host after our last, free host let us down really badly. So far the support has been superb, but somewhat costly.

The board only came with one template; we attempted to install our own but neither of us is sufficiently computer literate (hence the hosting) and we had to ask the host to install it for us, which they did for a charge of $20. Then, over the weekend, we had an influx of spam and needed to upgrade CAPTCHA, which cost us $40.

Today I asked whether it would be possible for them to insert the code for Google Analytics - our last host did this for nothing and within an hour of being asked - but the new host is asking $35 for what I know is just a copy and paste job.

We pay $6 a month for the board, but it offers no more features than the free board did, apart from the fact that there is more uptime than downtime - but having paid out $60 in just under two weeks for pretty basic stuff, I'm more than a bit uncomfortable that they are asking for more money for something so trivial.

On the other hand, I wouldn't know where to start doing it myself, or even if this would be possible for us to do from our end.

Any advice or thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated, bearing in mind that I am only just computer literate

Thank you in advance, Cassie
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Is this a reasonable charge?

Post by Brf »

Well... I wouldnt try to judge the charges anyone asks for support. It is pretty much up to them to fix the fees.

As long as you know your FTP address, you probably could have gotten some advice from here, and done it for free though.
CassieT

Post by CassieT »

I'll be entirely frank with you, I don't even know what an FTP address is - although since we have been with this host, I am learning an awful lot very quickly, so I guess in that respect it's all good....

I haven't given them the go-ahead to the Google analytics thing yet...
pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin »

As brf said, they can charge whatever they want but IMHO any competent phpBB pro could have done all 3 for a lot less since they don't take long to do.

And to others: please don't use this topic as a recruitment/solicitation topic as it will have to be closed. Thanks.
Support Resources: Support Request Template
If you need professional assistance with your board, please contact me for my reasonable rates.
ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Post by ChrisRLG »

Can I suggest that you PLAY.

you have a host - if it allows more than a single folder and a single database have a second one setup - the DB that is, then play with FTP and upload a copy from our downloads page, and install it yourself. Then play with that to try out any edits to the code etc.

It is the only way to learn.
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing
CassieT

Post by CassieT »

Well, I played, I saw and I conquered! :mrgreen:

The forum didn't crash immediately, which I am taking to be a good sign! and the Google page says that the site has been registered and data is now being collected and that I should get my first report in 24 hours - so when all that has happened, and providing nothing goes wrong with the forum in the meantime, I will send an email politely declining their $35 offer! :D

Thank you for giving me the confidence - I sort of knew what I had to do from last time round, although I didn't physically do it then - and now I have a tremendous sense of achievement too.

I'll be back tomorrow if I can't log in!

Thanks again

Cassie
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Hi, Cassie, and congratulations on graduating into the next level. :) I would like to ask that if you do come back with more specific questions about your board that you please post in the Support forum rather than the discussion forum, thanks.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
CassieT

Post by CassieT »

Of course - this was just an opinion gathering exercise 8-)
Yautja_cetanu

Post by Yautja_cetanu »

Whilst its true that technically support people could charge anything. $35 for google analytics! I know plenty of 14 year olds with IT skills competent enough for far more then that who would be ecstatic with alot less!

(although to me, rather then that being a critisism of the support company, I mean that more as a compliment to the N-generation. Its so exciting that people so young are learning skills that are of genuine worth)
Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

If we reverse this discussion somewhat - It is quite unbelievable how little some folks are prepared to pay to have someone do what can amount to quite a lot of work on their site. They seem to have no concept at all of how much time is involved in doing some jobs.
I wish I could put my finger on the particular topic that I of course had to lock under rule http://www.phpbb.com/rules/#rule1j but someone was asking for the installation of a board and the design of a custom template to suit their particular site. In addition they also wanted a load of mods installing along with at least one mod that was not available but would have to be written. There was also a website to design and integrate with the board.
They were prepared to pay someone $100 to do the work. :shock:

Yes what your hosts are asking does seem to be a bit steep but I guess they are hosting sites to make a profit (unlike me that makes a loss :D ) and if you are doing something for a living then what price do you have to put on your time. I would suggest that $40 to $50 an hour would not be unreasonable.

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!
AGC

Post by AGC »

I read your post a few times and I'm shocked. Shock I tell you. :shock:
It's correct that the host can request any fee that he want but for only to setup a style (upload files :roll: ) for $35 (US :?:). :shock: :?
That why these forums are for if you came here sooner you could save money and learn in the process. ;)
(phpBB 2.0.x): []Admin Topics List[] MOD. << Description & Download. , []Highlight Author[] MOD.

Donate-paypal
(phpBB 3.0.x)[ver] MODs: [RC1] >Import old *.pak files MOD. + . . .[8] > ACP - Modules Quick Access (MQA) MOD. + . . . [7-PL1] > Multi Smile (actions) MOD
CassieT

Post by CassieT »

Jim_UK wrote:If we reverse this discussion somewhat - It is quite unbelievable how little some folks are prepared to pay to have someone do what can amount to quite a lot of work on their site. They seem to have no concept at all of how much time is involved in doing some jobs.
I wish I could put my finger on the particular topic that I of course had to lock under rule http://www.phpbb.com/rules/#rule1j but someone was asking for the installation of a board and the design of a custom template to suit their particular site. In addition they also wanted a load of mods installing along with at least one mod that was not available but would have to be written. There was also a website to design and integrate with the board.
They were prepared to pay someone $100 to do the work. :shock:

Yes what your hosts are asking does seem to be a bit steep but I guess they are hosting sites to make a profit (unlike me that makes a loss :D ) and if you are doing something for a living then what price do you have to put on your time. I would suggest that $40 to $50 an hour would not be unreasonable.

Jim
I agree, if they are doing it for a living then they have to set a fee, and an hourly rate seems appropriate. And I am equally amazed that anybody could expect somebody to do the work you describe for $100.

But I did what was required in less than 5 minutes once I knew what to do, and on the basis that they were going to charge me $35, that equates to a lot more than $50 an hour!
AGC wrote:I read your post a few times and I'm shocked. Shock I tell you. :shock:
It's correct that the host can request any fee that he want but for only to setup a style (upload files :roll: ) for $35 (US :?: ) :shock: :?
That why these forums are for if you came here sooner you could save money and learn in the process ;)

I know there are a lot of very experienced people here, but I am somebody who is very much on the bottom rung of the learning ladder - I think it would be very easy for hosts etc to take advantage of people like me, and this is what I was questioning really. It's a good job I came here first, but when you don't have a clue, it's really very intimidating taking those first steps amongst those who are so much more experienced than yourself
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Part of what you are paying for is experience. One person might charge $5 for a service, but they might take forever to get it done correctly because they don't really know what they're doing. Another person might charge $50 and get it done right, the first time, and in ten minutes. Which is less intrusive to your board?

As far as what is "too much", I think it was obvious you felt it was over the line or you would not have posted here. :) But for some folks, the convenience of saying "just go do it" is worth the price. That's how companies stay in business. They offer a service, and people buy it. If people don't buy it, the company has to change (services, prices, something...) or it will no longer be in business.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

it is like the old joke ;

the mechanic said, "Ok, the bill is $100". I said, " but you only had to adjust one screw".

He said, " Adjusting the screw was only $5, knowing which screw to adjust was $95."

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:it is like the old joke ;
Exactly! I had just that one (or one very similar) in mind when I wrote the post. :lol:

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”