Ok, while I wait...

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
RushB

Ok, while I wait...

Post by RushB »

What would you suggest I use while I wait on the phpBB portal? I just want a simple php front end - are there any that will use the same mysql database as phpbb2?

I've looked at post nuke and php nuke. Not really sure if I want anything that involved. The boards are going to be most of my site, I just need something as a front end that will let me post news, a few links, and surveys. Sure wish yall had a simple portal ready to start testing!

Thanks,
RushB
DC

Re: Ok, while I wait...

Post by DC »

RushB wrote: What would you suggest I use while I wait on the phpBB portal? I just want a simple php front end - are there any that will use the same mysql database as phpbb2?

I've looked at post nuke and php nuke. Not really sure if I want anything that involved. The boards are going to be most of my site, I just need something as a front end that will let me post news, a few links, and surveys. Sure wish yall had a simple portal ready to start testing!

Thanks,
RushB

I was looking around for something myself and I discovered phpweb. It's similar to post nuke and php-nuke, but less involved. You still need a DB to run it, and it will handle the items you mentioned. If you have time, check it out.

http://phpwebsite.appstate.edu/

I'm not affiliated with this at all...just thought you might be interested.
Acer

Try this

Post by Acer »

Excellent new CMS. Check it out at http://xoops.sourceforge.net/
DC

Re: Try this

Post by DC »

Acer wrote: Excellent new CMS. Check it out at http://xoops.sourceforge.net/

I hade seen Xoops before but never tried it. I just installed it on my site and I love it! So far I like it much better then php-nuke and phpwebsite. I haven't tried postnuke, but I don't want to any more. :)
RushB

Thanks

Post by RushB »

But I don't even want a page that has to be logged into unless it can use the same database as the board. Just too aggravating to have to login twice - is there one even simpler that I can use that has a good layout, but no login etc.?

Later,
RushB
Acer

Post by Acer »

Xoops has its own forum that is intergrated, once registered you are able to use the forum and all other features.
Just too aggravating to have to login twice

Login once and click stay logged in and forget it.
DavidR

Post by DavidR »

Now the XOOPS forums just need more features like, sticky topics, polls, global mods . . . All the stuf 1.4 is missing since that is the forum they based it off of.
RushB

Is there such an animal?

Post by RushB »

Does anyone know of a portal/site content management script out there that uses themes and such(of course the site admin would set a default them) and does not require the user to login?

That's what I am looking for, just a portal - nothing more. I don't want anyone to login to anything except phpBB2, I just want a simple "layout" I can use to post news without any problems, maybe post a poll, add a link easily.

I want themes mainly so that I can change them.

Can you turn off the login on any of those portals that were mentioned?

Thanks,
RushB
DavidR

Re: Is there such an animal?

Post by DavidR »

RushB wrote: Does anyone know of a portal/site content management script out there that uses themes and such(of course the site admin would set a default them) and does not require the user to login?

That's what I am looking for, just a portal - nothing more. I don't want anyone to login to anything except phpBB2, I just want a simple "layout" I can use to post news without any problems, maybe post a poll, add a link easily.

I want themes mainly so that I can change them.

Can you turn off the login on any of those portals that were mentioned?

Thanks,
RushB

I don't think there are any. I suppose in XOOPS you could not show the login box and then just have phpBB instead of the forum module. There isn't one set up like that but some tweaking may make it work.
DC

Post by DC »

I believe you can make the information available to everyone by setting it to anonymous and hide the login menu through the blocks section or modules...not sure. If you do it this way then people will be able to submit links, downloads, and news without you needing to intervene or having them login again.
elanjeff

Post by elanjeff »

I did something sort of like this when I was planning on using PostNuke as a portal system on my site... hid the login stuff, the only way to log in (to do admin stuff, etc) was to go to a "hidden" URL and log in from there. I also ripped out the right-side blocks (hate 'em over there) and changed the theme a little to be proportional instead of fixed-width (another pet peeve of mine, fixed-width is IMHO really poor design)... then stopped as word started filtering out about a phpBB portal, so I left it in a half-finished, ugly, but more or less functional state, but I still have my old NetObject Fusion-created "main site" come up if you go directly to my URL. If you're tremendously bored, you can take a look my hacked PostNuke site here.

At this point, I figure that my main site will be pretty much free of updates until the phpBB portal comes out... I just can't see investing the time to customize another portal when I'm sure I'll have to redo all the work, and phpBB is the most-used part of my site, and if things are going like it sounds like they are, it won't be too long to wait... certainly nothing like the wait from phpBB1 until phpBB2. :D
Acer

In xoops

Post by Acer »

Like Dc said, in xoops just set the nuke portion to anonomous and then link to your phpbb login and register page. Since you are not using the forum supplied with xoops it is easy to have a phpbb2 as your forum with xoops as the portal wrapper.
Here is a idea:
Go to coolpages.com and get your free php/mysql account, upload xoops
to your root directory, and then upload phpbb to your xoops module directory. Then go into your xoops admin directory and activate phpbb, then change the xoops menu links to you phpbb login/register pages.
Now you have a test site to modify and play with with out bothering your main site.
RushB

Xoops is nice

Post by RushB »

The theme fits nicely with phpBB2 as well - hopefully the phpbb portal will be here soon before folks start swapping to Xoops.

If I swapped now I would probably just go with Xoops for everything - they even have threaded views for the boards, that's nice. Think I am going to hold on a little while longer and see if maybe phpbb comes out with a small portal sometime soon.

Does anyone know if banner support will be in phpbb2 sometime in the future?

Later,
RushB
vandal

Post by vandal »

been awhile since i have actively checked this part of the board
back then there were a couple projects well ahead with creating a portal around the phpbb2 framework

banner support will most likely not be part of phpbb ... more likely part of the php portal project .. but i am not one of their devs
Billy Pilgrim has become unstuck in time ... poo-tee-tweet

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”