invisionboard <-> phpBB | Very similar

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
Toby W. Allen

invisionboard <-> phpBB | Very similar

Post by Toby W. Allen »

Heya there,
I don't want to start slagging anyone off here.

However, I found Invisionboard, quite a powerfull BB.

It seems to me far tooo close to phpBB to be simply another BB.

Has phpBB sold their code or something?

it's got a LOT of features that phpBB does not have, Invision board doesn't have all of phpBBs features, such as hidden forum (why wouldn't you want that?).

If someone did take the whole code, then it's been HIGHLY modifed to add their features in.

I'm not trying to say that anyone ripped someone else's work. I'm just curious to know if it's only me seeing the similarities between the two BB systems, or is it some kind of deal.

Could someone from phpBB clarify this matter.

Toby.
p.s: sorry for insinuating/wrongly accusing anyone, it's not intented. I just want clarification.
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Yes, this has been brought up before. No, phpBB did not sell their code. What is really interesting is that IPS (or whatever they are called nowadays) developed their system after phpBB, and took far less time doing it. Make of that whatever you want. I'll leave this open for now unless a moderator says otherwise. Please do not turn this into a flamewar.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
imagedude
Name: Kai Ponte

Post by imagedude »

Intersting topic.

I was checking out the FUD forum website yesterday and there was a discussion between the main coder for that and a guy who uses PHPBB and is working on a mod for mailing lists. (Which is already a feature of FUD.)

It is interesting that - since there are many BBS's that are all open-source, that they tend to have similar functions. I noticed that somebody also mentioned yesterday on the Area 51 PHPBB 2.2 site that there are other BBS's coming out with functions being developed in 2.2

Ah, well. What I continue to like about PHPBB over the others that I've seen is the number of users and hence support. I figure the more users trying to break it, the better it has to be.

KP
psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX »

IPB isn't opensource (indeed there are very few "large" opensource boards left given the expense and time required to maintain them) ... nor have they, to the best of my knowledge used any of our code.
tony723

Post by tony723 »

Techie-Micheal wrote: Yes, this has been brought up before. No, phpBB did not sell their code. What is really interesting is that IPS (or whatever they are called nowadays) developed their system after phpBB, and took far less time doing it. Make of that whatever you want. I'll leave this open for now unless a moderator says otherwise. Please do not turn this into a flamewar.

Again it seems IPB is not under GPL although it is free. It is similar to another very popular php product "4images" which is also very similar to phpbb. But it is copyrighted.

From another point of view, similar to other GPL licensed packages, if another php developer take phpbb code and enhance it to redevelop another product (not necessary another forum package), should it be encouraged or not? It may save time in development and focus on the new functionalities.
psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX »

We have had run ins with 4images before and demanded they change or remove code ... they did to some extent but IIRC there is still a significant amount of obvious similarity in the code. At some point we'll look into this again and I think this time we may have to consider action against them.

The GPL is a licence by which people must abide else they forfit their rights to use phpBB.
fromadia

Post by fromadia »

psoTFX wrote: IPB isn't opensource (indeed there are very few "large" opensource boards left given the expense and time required to maintain them) ... nor have they, to the best of my knowledge used any of our code.

It's not?? They started zending it? Last I saw, the code was right there to look at. I dont' think the license is GPL, but the code is still available and changeable, no?
Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

You can't hide the PHP code from the end-user. But you can't contribute to the development of InvisionBoard, it's developed privately, and there's certainly no CVS snapshots :)
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member
chAos
Former Team Member

Post by chAos »

[OT] but i saw somewhere a program that scrambles PHP code from the end user. cant remember where though.
Callisto

Post by Callisto »

But you wouldn't want to do that. phpBB is renown because it has brilliant features, is free, you can edit the code and the support here is second to none.
psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX »

fromadia wrote: It's not?? They started zending it? Last I saw, the code was right there to look at. I dont' think the license is GPL, but the code is still available and changeable, no?

Source code being available does not equate to freedom to do as you please with it ;) Invision have decided, quite reasonably and understandably that they wish to retain tighter control over just what can and cannot be done with their application.
vampgrim

Post by vampgrim »

What I love about phpbb is the tpl files... If it didnt have those I dont think I would use it.
BenChayeel

Post by BenChayeel »

Sorry to revive this but I am using 4images and saw this ...
psoTFX wrote: We have had run ins with 4images before and demanded they change or remove code ... they did to some extent but IIRC there is still a significant amount of obvious similarity in the code. At some point we'll look into this again and I think this time we may have to consider action against them.

The GPL is a licence by which people must abide else they forfit their rights to use phpBB.

My question is, are they using the code for the main program or some kind of phpbb intregation. I am just curious, I think I will go find something else as I have problems with this. (Love phpBB, dont want to support anyone who cheats :))
Need Help, Try These: Start Here, Users Guide
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Yes, they are using phpBB's code.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
eralper

Post by eralper »

It is as said :cry:
psoTFX wrote: IPB isn't opensource

So nice for playing in the backyard garden

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”