[Release] Strike for PhpBB3 RC3

For style authors to post and receive feedback on 3.0.x styles still in development. Any development styles you wish to use on your live board should be installed with caution!
Ideas Centre
voyager1337

Re: [Release] Strike for PhpBB3 RC1

Post by voyager1337 »

That's it thanks Dark Frost :)

Dark Frost

Post by Dark Frost »

No problem, and call me Frost

I had to use this username because I think I signed up with Frost a long time ago, and can't get into it now. I've pm'd the mod leader and asked if I could be re-united with the name, but no reply yet. I really don't feel right not being on the name lol

NeilUK

Post by NeilUK »

bbrian017 wrote:Just sign up and get the style, the guy worked hard on it. Sometimes I swear...
I know he worked hard and the style looks excellent, but other designers use phpbb.com rules. Personally I don't want to sign onto a Forum just to download it. No offence meant but to register you would have to give your email address and I aren't happy doing that for an unknown forum.

If the style was available to download like the others are I would download it as its excellent. I don't agree with the critiscms of the style, it doesn't look like any phpBB2 style I have ever seen! It looks amazing, my only critiscm is that its linked direct to the users site. Its not supposed to be allowed!

shadow cup

Post by shadow cup »

Frost, this looks like a brilliant theme. ^_^ Thank you so much for your work on it. 9.5/10

Since I am not a programmer but there is an interest in the way you got the menu at the top of the style to work (and they do look great btw ^_~) the following is how I imagine it might be worked out:

Button backgrounds:
-Set lower bar color to background or custom color
-Set upper bar color to lighter version of background or custom color

Spaces between buttons:
-The areas between buttons would be similarly colored (with the lower section going half-way to get the same fade effect)
-allocation of spaces = "start x" + ((gap of "average width") + "gap graphics") x "number of buttons allocated" up until "end x" ----- where average width = (("end x" - "start x") division by "number of buttons allocated")

Text of buttons:
-Center-justify text and allocate using an off-set of the above +50% "average width" to start off

-----

Hmmmn by this method I am already getting lost on how to duplicate the smooth button click feel. Perhaps a button and gap maker would work better. Like I said, I'm no programmer, but this (the menu bar) is a great concept. ^_~
Placed by Circumstance - Seeker by Design ' '' ''' Image ''' '' ' Philosopher by Choice - Path Forger by Destiny

Dark Frost

Post by Dark Frost »

NeilUK wrote:
bbrian017 wrote:Just sign up and get the style, the guy worked hard on it. Sometimes I swear...
I know he worked hard and the style looks excellent, but other designers use phpbb.com rules. Personally I don't want to sign onto a Forum just to download it. No offence meant but to register you would have to give your email address and I aren't happy doing that for an unknown forum.

If the style was available to download like the others are I would download it as its excellent. I don't agree with the critiscms of the style, it doesn't look like any phpBB2 style I have ever seen! It looks amazing, my only critiscm is that its linked direct to the users site. Its not supposed to be allowed!
Well, I can see your point, and personally I do not care how it's downloaded, I made it for you guys. I understand if you don't want to sign up on another board, I cannot sympathize in this respect because I don't mind signing up, it just takes a few seconds and you can use a fake email.

As for the rules, I was told that there was no specific rule on this board that said you had to place the download anywhere specifically or wether or not it required signing up. I looked myself at the rules above these posts and it was true, it does not. I also don't know where you have been getting your styles from, but I know that 95% of styles forums require you to sign up to even read posts, let alone download something. This is the way it has always been. I am in no way trying to be rude, the last thing I want is a confrontation over a theme I threw together as my test of styling phpbb3. But I am inclined to respect the wishes of my staff members and they've asked me for the downloads to remain requiring signing up. I appreciate your kind words on the style, people like you are what drives me to continue creating them for free. The only thing they apparently ask is that you sign up so they can monitor what is popular and what is being downloaded. There is also the very big issue with automated downloaders, dos attacks, etc by not monitoring who downloads what. This also has something to do with tracking copyrights. Anyways, the point is, if there is suddenly a rule made requiring me to offer it to guests after I've already seen it is not, then I will simply delete the posts from here, change the download, and delete my account here. I've already spent a lot of time back and forth on this, received a pm, and had several people gripe at me for it. To me, it's not worth it. I don't like confrontations, and I definitely do not want any ill will towards anything from something I've done. It makes no difference to me, but I am forced to honor my staff's wishes. I feel you would do the same. I'm sorry.
shadow cup wrote:Frost, this looks like a brilliant theme. ^_^ Thank you so much for your work on it. 9.5/10

Since I am not a programmer but there is an interest in the way you got the menu at the top of the style to work (and they do look great btw ^_~) the following is how I imagine it might be worked out:

Button backgrounds:
-Set lower bar color to background or custom color
-Set upper bar color to lighter version of background or custom color

Spaces between buttons:
-The areas between buttons would be similarly colored (with the lower section going half-way to get the same fade effect)
-allocation of spaces = "start x" + ((gap of "average width") + "gap graphics") x "number of buttons allocated" up until "end x" ----- where average width = (("end x" - "start x") division by "number of buttons allocated")

Text of buttons:
-Center-justify text and allocate using an off-set of the above +50% "average width" to start off

-----

Hmmmn by this method I am already getting lost on how to duplicate the smooth button click feel. Perhaps a button and gap maker would work better. Like I said, I'm no programmer, but this (the menu bar) is a great concept. ^_~
Thank you for your kind words :D

The menu system is just one image, with css rollover tricks lol
I think I said before, I do not mind making a default menu and including it in the package, I just need you guys to agree on a set of default words. You can then change the links all you want. Let me know :D

P.S. I am going to include a menu like this with ProSilver because it is so popular.

mark99

Post by mark99 »

I like this, although it's a black/dark style and I hate darkness. Do you have any plans to do a lighter coloured version for soft coloured sites.. a bit like PHPBB.com's own theme?

Thatbitextra
Former Team Member
Location: A place where something is or could be located; a site.

Post by Thatbitextra »

Dark Frost, I can't say I really understand what you are saying. The site is yours, the designs are yours, but yet you get ordered around by your staff as to what you should do? It sounds like you need new staff. If you want to track downloads, just use a simple download tracking script. And I implore you to back up your claim that "95% of styles forums require you to sign up to even read posts, let alone download something". The fact is that nobody likes to have to spend time signing up just to download something. It's not even beneficial to your site, as you'll just end up with loads of users with zero posts. Hell, it's even using more bandwidth making them go through sign up, never to return again after having downloaded the style. But seriously, it sounds like your staff own you :?
Styles KB
My MODs: Choose Who to Accept PMs From (Prevents unwanted PMs!) | Warn of Old Topic Before Posting Reply
Style: subBlack (Now updated to phpBB 2.0.22 and 5 new color schemes!)

merc_noctis

Post by merc_noctis »

I would be interested in getting the menu just as it is. Or maybe you can release the PSD for those of us who are capable of mirroring what you have done.

Dark Frost

Post by Dark Frost »

Like I said before, I am being tugged from on both sites, to me it doesn't matter how the style gets downloaded, and I don't personally care who gets what. I was asked by several people to make styles for phpBB3 and that's what I did. Turns out it was a big mistake.

As for my staff, I wouldn't trade them for anyone else, they are good designers who work hard and that's important to me. This has all been way too much trouble for its worth and I probably won't be releasing anything else here except maybe one or two more to the style db. In this case it will probably take months to get validated and offered for download, but it makes no difference to me anymore. The fun of it has been stripped away by all of this and I don't know if I'll even do another public one.

To all that have downloaded the style, you are more than welcome to find me for support in the future, but I won't be checking here very often. The link will be removed upon completion of this post so that no more will have to go through any of this.

I'm sorry to all, and this isn't meant to be rude, I just don't have time for all of this nonsense. I will probably be banned for this post or marked as spam anyway from what I hear.

Goodbye, Frost

Dark Frost

Post by Dark Frost »

Just thought that I might add something, as now I'm getting madder and madder thinking about it.

You know with the few days that I've had this for download..

2 or 3 people complained about having to sign up
Over 100 people signed up and downloaded it without saying a word.

This is in a few days.

Who are you really considering when you make those posts? You or them?
Seems like perhaps I should be imploring you to back up your numbers. Not everyone has something against signing up. Not everyone is so spoiled and expect to have everything just handed to them, as some do.

Maybe signing up on a board and showing some respect by not complaining about it is their way of thanking me and my team for providing FREE themes to them without asking anything in return. I can say this because until you brought it up, there was no intentional reason for requiring people to sign up to download. It was a phpbb default. When you complained about it, it raised the questions and sparked this fire.

Us designers spend many hours looking at sites, reading thousands of posts to figure out what people want as their themes. This is all for them, we get NOTHING in return, and we ask NOTHING in return. All of this is done out of pure generosity. We all have lives, and jobs, and wives, and kids, and other hobby's. We spend some of that time pouring our ability into a few programs to give people an option rather than default.

I have no ads on my site, I get paid absolutely nothing for what I do. I pay for software to design the themes, I pay for hosting to offer the themes, I never once asked anything of you. If you aren't willing to show me any respect.. no scratch that, I don't even ask that. Just simply do not download the style if you don't want to register. Because of you I almost did what I thought I never would do, and that's take out on many, what was caused by a couple.

I am going to re-add the download link, and I'm going to continue doing what I do. But don't ruin something for everyone because you personally don't like something. This is not an attack, or meant to be taken as such. Just let everyone alone, and let them get their styles in peace.

bbrian017

Post by bbrian017 »

The fact is that nobody likes to have to spend time signing up just to download something.
this is a phpbb reg issue not a designers really. If it takes too long to answer 4 questions what is this world comming to?

Dark Frost

Post by Dark Frost »

Thanks for the support Brian, but I would hope that all of this would be dropped to keep from upsetting anyone. Let's just style the world :D

Dark Frost

Post by Dark Frost »

Download has been updated!

Strike 2.0.0 is completed and available for download. All users should upgrade as the new version number comes with new header, footer, menu (like mine), as well as bug fixes

merc_noctis

Post by merc_noctis »

Frost, where in the package is the menu? BTW, thanks for the updated release :)

Dark Frost

Post by Dark Frost »

merc_noctis wrote:Frost, where in the package is the menu? BTW, thanks for the updated release :)
What do you mean where is the menu? The menu is the links at the very top of the header. I added this because of many requests.

If you mean where can you edit the links, open your overall_header.html file and change links

If you want to edit the text, you can edit menu.png in theme/images/ or request it be done for you by one of my styles team

Let me know what you meant

Return to “[3.0.x] Styles in Development”