[Release] Bloo

For style authors to post and receive feedback on 3.0.x styles still in development. Any development styles you wish to use on your live board should be installed with caution!
Scam Warning
Frodosringfinger

Re: [Release] Bloo for phpBB3

Post by Frodosringfinger » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:20 am

Great, hope everything is working well for you now.

Frodosringfinger

Post by Frodosringfinger » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:03 pm

Just wanted to say thanks to everybody who has downloaded so far. The style has reached 700 downloads.

hotrocket

Post by hotrocket » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:09 pm

Nice style!

just a heads up though...

In IE6 you have alignment probs with borders lining up correctly in the 950px version on the viewforum.php page as well as the header background image is outside the header box to the right side in both the 750 and 950px versions on all the pages.

also in the 750 version the white inset background is at the 950px width (centered) but the forums are aligned to the left and out of alignment with the header and footer.

all seems fine in FF and IE7
checked on 2 diff computers 1 with 1280x1024 and the other with 1024x768

GoldenlupeX
I am too lazy to register

Post by GoldenlupeX » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:52 pm

Is this style compatible with any Portal. If so, which one?

Frodosringfinger

Post by Frodosringfinger » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:29 am

I don't use portals on a forum, so no idea. About the IE6 problem...try updating to IE7. ;)

hotrocket

Post by hotrocket » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:25 am

Frodosringfinger wrote:About the IE6 problem...try updating to IE7. ;)
While I can appreciate the concept that in a perfect world everyone would only use 1 browser, the reality is people use a variety of browsers and its the job of the webmaster or in this case theme style developer to write cross browser compatible code..simply telling someone they should update their browser is ducking the issue..your code is not compliant..your style does not work properly.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I am simply trying to point out issues that according to w3schools browser sats show that as of June - 37% of users still use IE6 will encounter.
see for yourself
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Yes there are issues with CSS and IE browsers..but they are not impossible to deal with and the issues I gave you the heads up about are very fixable.

I'd also like to point out that I am not using your style..yet..but I do like it and I do have the ability to fix the browser issues with your style myself, however there are many, many users that will not have that ability..you need to consider those people and the 37% + IE6 users that will see a broken style you are putting your name on.

Sorry to be so direct...just trying to help you.

Lawofthesnake

Post by Lawofthesnake » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:46 am

GoldenlupeX wrote:Is this style compatible with any Portal. If so, which one?
eh youll have to redo the css of the portal or as them too ;) its compitable with tweaking

Frodosringfinger

Post by Frodosringfinger » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:46 am

I have no way of testing for IE6. Can you screenshot it for me?

echo2k5

Post by echo2k5 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:50 am

hotrocket wrote: While I can appreciate the concept that in a perfect world everyone would only use 1 browser, the reality is people use a variety of browsers and its the job of the webmaster or in this case theme style developer to write cross browser compatible code..simply telling someone they should update their browser is ducking the issue..your code is not compliant..your style does not work properly.
IE6 is outdated and has security issues, I for one will not write my code to support a browser that has security flaws...I'm sure there are a lot of people still using it...but then again look at all the ones still using Windows 98 or 95. As you say we don't live in a perfect world where all just use one browser...but there are choices when it comes to whats safe and whats not...I see absolutely no reason why one wouldn't upgrade an insecure and dated browser. Please don't take this personally, but I do get tired of hearing the same old song and dance about IE6. My two coppers worth. ;)

Lawofthesnake

Post by Lawofthesnake » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:55 am

echo2k5 wrote:
hotrocket wrote: While I can appreciate the concept that in a perfect world everyone would only use 1 browser, the reality is people use a variety of browsers and its the job of the webmaster or in this case theme style developer to write cross browser compatible code..simply telling someone they should update their browser is ducking the issue..your code is not compliant..your style does not work properly.
IE6 is outdated and has security issues, I for one will not write my code to support a browser that has security flaws...I'm sure there are a lot of people still using it...but then again look at all the ones still using Windows 98 or 95. As you say we don't live in a perfect world where all just use one browser...but there are choices when it comes to whats safe and whats not...I see absolutely no reason why one wouldn't upgrade an insecure and dated browser. Please don't take this personally, but I do get tired of hearing the same old song and dance about IE6. My two coppers worth. ;)
eh that just means less people will use the product in the end, people are dumb though :P

Frodosringfinger

Post by Frodosringfinger » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:01 am

Frodosringfinger wrote:I have no way of testing for IE6. Can you screenshot it for me?

echo2k5

Post by echo2k5 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:06 am

I suppose a guy could always do this:
http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE
might be worthwhile for checking version compatibility.

EDIT* I just installed that proggy...heres a screenie of the index page (950px):

Other than that all I can see is some of the pics members have posted are not resized...didn't see anything else to speak of...but then again I did a fast swipe through there using IE6.

Here's the 750 px:

Frodosringfinger

Post by Frodosringfinger » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:54 am

Everything looks fine in FF, IE7, Opera, Safari, Netscape, and Mozilla to me. So all thats left is lame IE6.

hotrocket

Post by hotrocket » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:19 am

echo2k5 wrote:
I don't take it personal..this is just a discussion :)
I'm not discussing browser security issues..I'm pointing out design flaws. flaws that can easily be fixed.
While I understsnd that we can't be all things to all people (or in this case all browsers) I don't see the point in alienating over a 1/3rd of your viewers because you only design for the latest browser. Sure at some point it IE6 will dwindle down to a very small percentage..but its still a year or 2 from that.

To some extent I think its perspective ...I am in this biz to make $...not everyone is, many are just doing this as a hobby, but I can't afford to present a site to my potiential customers that may or may not work because they havent upgraded their browser yet.
There is a reason you hear alot about cross browser compatibility..because its smart business.

In Frodos 1st post he asked for feedback as this was his 1st style release..thats basically what I did, gave him feedback..its up to him to decide if its worth it to him to solve the issues.

As I said above, I have the ability to fix the code to solve the browser issues...but how many of the 700 people that have downloaded this style to date do?...I would bet less than 10% and that may be generous...lol

Honestly I wish Frodo luck..I like several of his styles and will probably use at least one of them, I don't really want this thread to turn into a big long convo about browsers and IE vs FF or any of that tired old stuff.

fix it..don't fix it..makes no difference to me..just pointing out some problems I thought he might want to be aware of. :)

Frodosringfinger

Post by Frodosringfinger » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:31 pm

RC5 compatible.

Return to “[3.0.x] Styles in Development”