[Release] 'Dark Style' phpBB3 Smilies

For style authors to post and receive feedback on 3.0.x styles still in development. Any development styles you wish to use on your live board should be installed with caution!
Scam Warning
abouthere

Re: [Release] 'Dark Style' phpBB3 Smilies

Post by abouthere »

Eclipse2564 wrote:Anybody have dark style post icons that they would be willing to share?
I'll second that fella - been looking for a set of dark post icons myself for months!

roBBx

Post by roBBx »

Great work camm15h! May we have some guidelines about how you made that, please? Couse I don't use default smilies and would like to try to obtain a similar result. Thanks in advance! ;)

camm15h
Former Team Member
Name: Paul Cammish

Post by camm15h »

roBBx wrote:May we have some guidelines about how you made that, please?
It's just a case of opening the .gifs in an image editor like Adobe Photoshop and eliminating the rogue white pixels around the edges. For the animated smilies you can use Adobe Imageready. :)

roBBx

Post by roBBx »

Thanks for reply camm15h, I'tried just to delete some white external pixels (I'm using Photoshop), but the result isn't so good. I noticed that in your smilies there are also some border pixel color-changes, aren't they? Have you used some general procedure for all icons or have you just tried to colorize their pixels "by hand" until each one looked fine? Sorry for insistence, but I have to correct over 200 icons and any time spare suggest would highly appreciated. :D

camm15h
Former Team Member
Name: Paul Cammish

Post by camm15h »

roBBx wrote:Thanks for reply camm15h, I'tried just to delete some white external pixels (I'm using Photoshop), but the result isn't so good. I noticed that in your smilies there are also some border pixel color-changes, aren't they? Have you used some general procedure for all icons or have you just tried to colorize their pixels "by hand" until each one looked fine? Sorry for insistence, but I have to correct over 200 icons and any time spare suggest would highly appreciated. :D
Try adding a background layer with a coloured fill so you ensure the rogue pixels are completely erased.

As far as I can remember, I think I made the changes to one head (no faces etc) then duplicated the head onto every other smilie face so they were all the same. It's possible that some of the lighter colours on the edge were darkened or erased with a low tolerance to give them more translucency.

It helped that all the smilies were the same shape, if yours aren't I think it might be quite a big job. :geek:

roBBx

Post by roBBx »

They aren't, but some of them have the same round shape, your tricks will help me a lot. Yes, I created different backgrounds levels to verify the smilies look good on both clear as dark colors. To cut the edges I obtain satisfactory results by erasing the white pixels and then harmonizing the edges with a fast touch of the burn tool (1 pixel size, range: shadows and variable exposure), or simply with the blur tool, in this case within a selection mask, to prevent the image to enlarge. With a bit of patience, the risults can be good.

Thanks a lot for your help! :)

santocool

Post by santocool »

Thanks a lot, I was looking for this!

Solid_State

Post by Solid_State »

Many thx camm15h, I was about to make these myself and now I don't have to :)

stueybuk

Post by stueybuk »

Thank you so much, saved me a hell of a job.

Stu.

CrazyDave

Post by CrazyDave »

Amazing job :D

im wondering if you could also change your second set of extra smilies for Dark styles as well?

http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style ... 3_smilies/

jatintalwar

Post by jatintalwar »

Camm 15h ..
They really work , no problems in dimensions either with 3.0.8 version .
Many thanks , Good work ..
Regards,
Dr.Jatin Talwar & Deepak Khurana
Camshotsindia Forum

Tennberg

Post by Tennberg »

I found this post after searching for dark background smilies to go with "Tranquil Teal" on my phpBB site. I can confirm that they are compatible with 3.0.9, though I did have to run the script you posted.

Return to “[3.0.x] Styles in Development”