AutoMOD-Request: Easier additional language installation

Archive of support for the automated MOD installation tool codenamed "Blinky". For support questions regarding AutoMOD please visit here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTICE: IF YOU NEED SUPPORT FOR AUTOMOD PLEASE VISIT THE APPROPRIATE LOCATION HERE.
Morun

AutoMOD-Request: Easier additional language installation

Post by Morun » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:41 pm

Hey, after having used the AutoMOD for the installation of several Mods, mostly without any problems at all, I got an idea for an additional feature for the next versions..

As most Mods come in English only, one has to do the translations for other installed languages manually, either by translating the English language variables or at least by copying those into the right files if langauge doesn't matter (I regularly do not translate for the ACP).

Maybe there could be a feature in AutoMOD to automatically copy the English language files to all other languages installed that did not come with the respective Mod, and to do the edits to English language files also to the language files of any other installed language that didn't come with the Mod. The user would be informed where changes were made and that he should translate these himself if necessary.
The admin can then translate those variables himself via the ACP > System > Languages, or the AutoMOD has a list of items "copied from English language to other languages", which allows to directly translate and edit via ACP.

Anyways, AutoMOD is a great tool and makes things so much easier compared to phpBB 2, thanks!!

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Re: AutoMOD-Request: Easier additional language installation

Post by DavidIQ » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:42 pm

That would be hard to do because the MOD author will put a find for a certain area of the language file which would be in English so finding it in another language couldn't happen...
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

Morun

Post by Morun » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:27 am

Good point. But on one hand, the position doesn't play any role in the language files (many mods just add their language variables before the "?>"), and on the other hand one could just search for the string up to the "=>" and add before instead of after.
Anyways, inserting those lines add the end by default would be the easiest way I guess, and make later translating more comfortable as well. AutoMOD could then just save which files got the "copied from English"-items and provide links to the files in ACP > System > Languages, where the user can scroll down and translate..

A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:42 pm

Its something I'd be willing to look at with sufficient support in the community.

Copying new language files to non-English directories would be fairly simple. However, getting around the issue David brought up would be more complicated. As you say, I could look at a find up to the "=>". However, the find algorithm currently does not know what file it is looking at, so some issues could arise elsewhere.

Making any notice outside of AutoMOD is very unlikely. AutoMOD currently doesn't change any phpBB code, and I'd like to keep it that way :)
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish

h#ð©'öÆo=Û
Name: Andrea Grossi

Post by h#ð©'öÆo=Û » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:52 pm

Hello everybody! :)
I have a very similar issue but I hope it will be easier to solve!

What can I do if I want AutoMOD to install all the mods in my IT directory rather than in the EN directory? I am going to install all my mods in the italian language so I don't need to have others languages installation.

How can I modify AutoMOD to fit my issue? I am going to have a look but a hint would be really appreciated!

Thanks a lot! :D
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

h#ð©'öÆo=Û
Name: Andrea Grossi

Post by h#ð©'öÆo=Û » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:04 pm

It seems that AutoMOD works properly, I just need to put the right translations from the ACP. Still exploring, tho...
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Return to “[3.0.x] AutoMOD”