Install AutoMOD [help needed]

Archive of support for the automated MOD installation tool codenamed "Blinky". For support questions regarding AutoMOD please visit here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTICE: IF YOU NEED SUPPORT FOR AUTOMOD PLEASE VISIT THE APPROPRIATE LOCATION HERE.
pyroplantfreak

Re: Install AutoMOD [help needed]

Post by pyroplantfreak »

DavidIQ wrote:Did you run the installation before you renamed the install directory?
yes I did. When you ask "did I run installation" I typed nhpyro.org/forums/install.

The window just sits, then I open another window and login to the ACP page it says in red to "rename or delete install file."

Which I then do but still no automod tab showing up....

Thanks

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

Try uploading everything from the AutoMOD package to your /forums/ directory and going specifically to forums/install/index.php. If you're stuck at the white page then you might be getting a PHP error. If that's the case then you should check your error log and see if there's any clues there. In some setups the error log gets generated in the directory causing the error, in this case the /install/ directory.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

xdamageincx

Post by xdamageincx »

DavidIQ wrote:Try uploading everything from the AutoMOD package to your /forums/ directory and going specifically to forums/install/index.php. If you're stuck at the white page then you might be getting a PHP error. If that's the case then you should check your error log and see if there's any clues there. In some setups the error log gets generated in the directory causing the error, in this case the /install/ directory.
What does this mean?
I am in the same boat and this instruction makes no sense to me.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

What you're asking about is the FTP part so maybe this will help.

jmrogers

Post by jmrogers »

The installation instructions are written under the assumption that the user is DOWNloading the files to a Windows desktop, then UPloading them to the phpBB server. This is difficult for those of us who do not use a Windows desktop and Filezilla, but work directly from the command line on our servers. I used "wget" to fetch the zip file, but it's difficult to translate the installation docs for use at the command line. For instance, an "upload" directory? I have no such directory, nor do I want one.

I guess it's a rant, but I don't see why the docs are written that way. I think all I really need is "put the zip file in the ??? directory and unzip it." Then the instructions could say "If you install via FTP, do the following..."

Is there a quick and dirty install doc that's not written from a Windows desktop perspective?

Thanks.
Jack

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Installing AutoMOD wrote:To install AutoMOD, you first need to copy its files to your phpBB3 directory. Here is the directory structure that is in the AutoMOD zipped archive file:

This image shows the file structure within the "upload" directory. Simply copy them to your forum's root directory (i.e. copy them to yourforum.com/phpBB3) overwriting folders when specified by the FTP client.
So the "upload" directory is within the zip archive. When you read over the instructions really the only thing in them that resemble a Windows Desktop is the image otherwise I'm not seeing anything centric on a Windows Desktop at all. Or are you referring to some other instructions you found?

jmrogers

Post by jmrogers »

DavidIQ wrote:So the "upload" directory is within the zip archive. When you read over the instructions really the only thing in them that resemble a Windows Desktop is the image otherwise I'm not seeing anything centric on a Windows Desktop at all. Or are you referring to some other instructions you found?
David,

I did not mean to imply Windoze exclusively, because I guess the installation docs are actually desktop-OS-agnostic. But they are written expecting something done on the local machine, then uploaded. The mere existence of an "upload" directory is confusing for those of us who do not "upload" anything. But not just that, how about this?
To install AutoMOD, you first need to copy its files to your phpBB3 directory...
Okay, that's where I put the automod-100.zip file. I guess that means unzip it there? So I should unzip the file: "unzip automod-100.zip". Done. Go to next step.
...Simply copy them to your forum's root directory (i.e. copy them to yourforum.com/phpBB3) overwriting folders when specified by the FTP client...
Whaaat? I just did that. That's what the last step said. Oh, the last step meant on MY DESKTOP computer (see what I mean?).

So, this whole section assumes I'm using an FTP client. Now I have, under the phpBB directory, a new "automod" directory, which contains a "docs" and an "upload" directory.

And if I'm following this correctly, I then need to MOVE all the CONTENTS of the useless "upload" directory (but not the directory itself) into the phpBB3 root directory, then delete the useless "upload" directory? Then I need to move the "docs" directory up one level to the phpBB3 root directory. What kind of sense does that make? Why not package it all at the phpBB3 root level, and just unzip it there? What's the purpose of an "upload" directory in the first place, if not to accommodate the Windoze/Filezilla users?

But all ranting aside, I just want to verify that I've reverse-engineered the docs correctly. I didn't really DO the stuff above, that was a simulation, illustrating my confusion. I'm smart enough to figure out Unix/Linux from the "man pages" but I'm not good with translating Windoze desktop instructions to Linux command-line. Here's how I see it, step by step:
  1. Get the automod-100.zip file (using wget).
  2. Unzip it into my server's phpBB3 directory.
  3. Move the contents of the useless "automod/upload" directory up two levels, to the phpBB3 root directory.
  4. Move the "automod/docs" directory up to the phpBB3 root directory.
  5. Remove the useless (now empty) "automod/upload" directory.
  6. Remove the useless (now empty) "automod" directory.
(From this point forward, the docs should be correct.)

Correct :?:

And in spite of my frustration with the docs, I am grateful for the help.

Thanks.
Jack

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Ah so the problem is with the packaging. That might be something we address in the next version that's currently being worked on. The "upload" directory might have been better off being named "root" just like the rest of the MODs here though I'm not entirely sure why the decision was made to package it this way (before my time as TL). We do welcome suggestions, of course, so this will be something that will be, hopefully, taken care of in a future release.

Thanks!

jmrogers

Post by jmrogers »

DavidIQ wrote:Ah so the problem is with the packaging. That might be something we address in the next version that's currently being worked on. The "upload" directory might have been better off being named "root" just like the rest of the MODs here though I'm not entirely sure why the decision was made to package it this way (before my time as TL). We do welcome suggestions, of course, so this will be something that will be, hopefully, taken care of in a future release.

Thanks!
Thank you--Someone finally understands! That's one of the points I was trying to make in a topic that I started - Installation Docs Need Clarification, Please.... That thread seems to have died prematurely, so I jumped into (hijacked?) this one.

So yes, the problem IS with the packaging. But since I could not seem to get any traction with that issue, I was trying to work with it as-is, and found the docs came up short. If the packaging issue is resolved, then the docs will of course need updating. Do I need to submit a bugtracker for this issue to make sure it's visible as the work continues on the next release?

For my immediate situation: Linux complains when you try to move an entire directory to a location where that name already exists--so it's simpler just to repackage it, which I've done. Unzipping it will allow it to overwrite existing files without disturbing the ones that are not duplicated.

Thanks.
Jack

timmeh73

Post by timmeh73 »

Currently trying to install automod on a 3.0.7-PL1 board but am getting the login error. I have checked the cookies and they are disabled and changed that function.php to the one advised earlier in the thread but still no go. Is there something else I should be checking to get this thing to work?

* Fixed - realised I had to be logged in and had to use the full URL -http://www. instead of just www.

Return to “[3.0.x] AutoMOD”