MODs won't install.. AutoMod shows installed.

Archive of support for the automated MOD installation tool codenamed "Blinky". For support questions regarding AutoMOD please visit here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTICE: IF YOU NEED SUPPORT FOR AUTOMOD PLEASE VISIT THE APPROPRIATE LOCATION HERE.
uhuhu

MODs won't install.. AutoMod shows installed.

Post by uhuhu » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:20 pm

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.0.8
What is your board's URL? http://www.tibiaauto.net/forum
Who do you host your board with? Not sure but not a free board.
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
Is your board a fresh install or a conversion? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Do you have any MODs installed? Yes
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.0.7
What MODs do you have installed? Quick Reply / Thanks Mod
What styles do you currently have installed? prosilver
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? New to PHP but not phpBB
When did your problem begin? More than a year.
Please describe your problem. I download the mod, send it through AutoMod, install it, automod says it's installed. Than I go to the files it should edit, it doesn't have any modification. I install the mod by hand (search for the lines, add the lines it should add, readd all files through FTP) but the mods won't work at all! I'm trying to install a Thank You mod for several months already and nothing works. It's like the mods aren't even there. Nothing shows up on ACP like it should. Mod I'm trying to install now is this one: http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/thanks_for_posts/
I'm trying to install this mod since 3.0.6 with the same result, nothing shows up. I have PHPMYADMIN installed and STK.
Interesting though is that "Has thanked" and "Have Thanks", Gratitude and other links shows up but nothing else. Yes, I have cleared the cache several times already as I have already tried to change the theme.
Generated by SRT Generator ($Rev: 4778 $)

jmrogers

Re: MODs won't install.. AutoMod shows installed.

Post by jmrogers » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:02 pm

First, you should go to the head of the line because you used the SRT and did a nice job stating your issue! Bravo!

Now, I wish I could be more help. Regarding the first part (AutoMOD saying it's installed, but it's not): I'd re-check the ownership and permissions of the directories and files that this MOD was supposed to update. Frankly, I would expect AutoMOD to report an error if it can't write to the appropriate files, but if not that, I'm stumped. Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable will come along.

Regarding the MOD not working after you installed it by hand: Your best bet would be to look for support for that particular MOD. By installing it manually, you've isolated that a MOD issue, rather than an AutoMOD issue.

Jack

uhuhu

Post by uhuhu » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:46 am

Actually, that's not the real issue. I've tried to instal Portal3 and had the same issue..
No problems to report on AutoMod, just a hand full of files edited, nothing on ACP showing the mod and the mod not working. Any mod I try to add gives me the same end result, meaning: no mod installed.. That's what's baffling me.

Permissions are fine if checked under phpbb install, so I have no idea what's really working.
Automod is on 1.0.0...

I wish to install the forum from scratch (but keep the DB/Files) so I can see if this issue is resolved. How can I do that? My forum is from 2005 and I've been updating it since than. Maybe that's my real issue? Too many updates and too many left over files?

Using STK (ERK) I get this:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3204: file(./../styles/milky_way/imageset/imageset.cfg): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
I don't have this theme from a loooooong time already (since 2.0.x).. So, I really think it's something related to some 'left over' from phpbb2...

The worst part? The "Thanks for post" mod thread is locked.. Can't even ask for help there.

Sajaki
Name: Andreas

Post by Sajaki » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:15 am

uhuhu wrote: Using STK (ERK) I get this:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3204: file(./../styles/milky_way/imageset/imageset.cfg): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
I don't have this theme from a loooooong time already (since 2.0.x).. So, I really think it's something related to some 'left over' from phpbb2...
can you go to Styles ---> Style components ---> imagesets --> there must be a leftover line "milky_way", press the delete link.
uhuhu wrote: The worst part? The "Thanks for post" mod thread is locked.. Can't even ask for help there.
all released mod posts were locked, each mod has its own sub forum now, support is now here :

http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/t ... s/support/

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:43 am

Don't know what "Portal3" is, maybe you're referring to Board3 Portal, if so both it and the Thanks for Posts MOD have an install file that has to be run to do such things as database changes, install ACP modules, and add permissions. Without running the install file the MODs will fail to function properly, if at all. Did you run the install files (these are .php files not the .xml instructions)?
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

uhuhu

Post by uhuhu » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:29 pm

Yes, I know about the install files and yes, I have used them. Even than, it's not working. I've used STK to 'clean' the board. It even uninstalled AutoMod so now I have the .MODS tab under ACP showing the "Thanks for post".

Sorry for the "Portal3". It was "Board3 Portal" that I was thinking about and forgot the name. :)

@Sajaki, you were right.. Templates/imagesets/styles were there even though the theme was deleted.
Also, thanks for the direct link to the support forum for that mod.

Nekoyoubi
Name: Lance May

Post by Nekoyoubi » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:22 pm

After reading through this post, this is exactly the issue that I believe I am having as well. The symptoms certainly seem familiar; phpBB version 3.0.10 for me though.

For what it's worth (and I know it's frowned upon), I did install it from some cpanel3 tool called QuickInstall.

I'm getting the very distinct impression that there are permission issues with my files/folders that are causing the issues. My files seem to be unaltered after an AutoMOD-reported "successful" installation, then if I attempt to uninstall, it <advancedtechnicaljargon>errors all over the place</advancedtechnicaljargon> and still nothing is effected. I've tried this with numerous mods thusfar, all with the same result.

Where might I find a listing of the appropriate intended CHMOD settings for a successful phpBB installation?

Thanks much in advance for any and all assistance.

I know it's probably a really stupid question, but I just decided to give phpBB a shot as of yesterday, so I'm still very new. Thanks for your patience.
- Lance @ Nekoyoubi Games

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:52 pm

phpBB3 Chmod Permissions
EDIT: fixed above link
Information on how to install a MOD is in this topic.
Last edited by Lumpy Burgertushie on Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Nekoyoubi

Post by Nekoyoubi » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:17 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:[kb=phpbb3-chmod-permissions/]phpBB3 Chmod Permissions[/kb]
Unfortunately, that didn't link, but now knowing the words, I grabbed it from Google. Thanks a ton for that!

I do see some discrepancies in the permissions needed and the permissions that QuickInstall left me with (interestingly enough, from HostGator ;)). In particular, the "exception" directories (e.g. /cache, /files, /store) were set to 755 as well as all of the others; though the reference says 777 is needed.

So I applied the new settings to those folders with my FTP client (FileZilla), but was curious as to how I need to (if at all) recursively set the permissions. Should subfolders get 777 as well, subfolders and files, or no recursive settings at all?

Thanks again!

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:31 pm

Nekoyoubi wrote:
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:[kb=phpbb3-chmod-permissions/]phpBB3 Chmod Permissions[/kb]
Unfortunately, that didn't link, but now knowing the words, I grabbed it from Google. Thanks a ton for that!

I do see some discrepancies in the permissions needed and the permissions that QuickInstall left me with (interestingly enough, from HostGator ;)). In particular, the "exception" directories (e.g. /cache, /files, /store) were set to 755 as well as all of the others; though the reference says 777 is needed.

So I applied the new settings to those folders with my FTP client (FileZilla), but was curious as to how I need to (if at all) recursively set the permissions. Should subfolders get 777 as well, subfolders and files, or no recursive settings at all?

Thanks again!
no recursive at all. only the folders mentioned.

that is one of the reasons we do not recommend using the hosting control panel install scripts. and they are not completely supported here. those one click script companies change the code so it will work for there situations and therefore it is no longer the same code you get from here.

you may find other probelms as well.

if you have no MODs installed it is suggested that you do a file replacement with the files you get from here so you will not have problems in the future and can get full support here.
*NOTE: Before proceeding backup all files and the database.*
  • Upload all new files from a download of the full version, EXCEPT for config.php, the /images and /files folders.
  • Go to yoursite.com/forumfolder/install/database_update.php
  • Let that run and then delete the install folder.
  • You now have a new up to date board containing all your users and posts but without any MODs that you might have had installed.
robert

Nekoyoubi

Post by Nekoyoubi » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:54 pm

I followed your instructions to the letter, and have a working site again (from a complete delete).

I have installed AutoMOD again, and attempted a fresh mod install to no avail. The exact same problem; install "works" (shows all "Success"), but nothing is altered, no files are copied, modified, etc.

Finally, I just took a guess at something and apparently figured it out...

I had changed the Write Method of the AutoMOD configuration to "the most compatible" option, Compressed File Download. Switching this back to Direct fixed the problem immediately and (to the best of my knowledge) fully.

Thanks again for all of your time and effort. At the very least, now I have a non-QuickInstall phpBB.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:11 pm

ah yes, didn't think about that for you. the compressed file download method means that nothing is written to the files on your server. they are copied, the code is written to the copies and then a downloadable zip file is created for you to download.
you would then need to unzip it and upload the included files to there place on the server.

glad you got it figured out.

robert

Return to “[3.0.x] AutoMOD”